Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enclosure + Internal HDD vs. External

• 29-03-2011 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    Just a quick nooby question about somethin I don't quite get.. What pray tell is the difference between an internal 3.5 SATA HDD in an external enclosure vs. a regular joe external? If you take for granted that the specs were pretty close it looks to me as if the labour of sticking a few wires and screws in will garner cheaper superior storage. Forgive me in advance for my ignorance..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 InsightTech

If you purchase a pre-configured external HDD you cannot open the unit. If you do it will invalidate the warranty.
    If you buy a enclosure/caddy and fit your own drive you can swap and change the drives. This comes in very handy for reading data from drives that have been removed from failed laptops/desktop pc's.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pablo-jericho

Flexibility on top of what I assume is better performance then? I couldn't get everyone doesn't do it, its cheaper to get a 7200rpm SATA with a large cache and a firewire 800 enclosure than a 5200rpm "ready made" external for me. Cheers for the reply mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 InsightTech

One thing to bear in mind is that by fitting a 7200RPM drive you may have cooling issues as most enclosures dont include a cooling fan. For short term use it should be fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pablo-jericho

Excellent man, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

One thing to bear in mind is that by fitting a 7200RPM drive you may have cooling issues as most enclosures dont include a cooling fan. For short term use it should be fine though.

An aluminum case will keep the yoke reasonably cool. The 2½", 5200 rpm external is ideal for laptops and notebooks. A 3½", 7200 disk is great in a tower, in fact the more the merrier.

Eventually storage will be SSD when the prices drop. In the meantime I prefer flash cards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement