Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

john giles - walk of disappointment

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

because when the foundation were promoting the event they claimed that there would be a walk and also a day of entertainment for the kids if you read the posts you would know that idiot

There was entertainment. You admitted that. You just didn't think it was worthy of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

There was entertainment. You admitted that. You just didn't think it was worthy of you.

what entertainment?

what entertainment?

The videos on the screens.

The former internationals present.

The stuff you said was beneath you.

well if you call that entertainment you obviously lead a very boring life and dont get out much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The op's username speaks volumes.;)

zerks wrote: »
    The op's username speaks volumes.;)

fyi that username was created long before the political/economical term

the location on your proflile speaks volumes also

fyi that username was created long before the political/economical term

Join date Feb 2011....

Join date Feb 2011....

oh is boards the only forum etc on the internet

well if you call that entertainment you obviously lead a very boring life and dont get out much.

Jesus wept.

Do you still wet the bed? I have never come across as immature, selfish and arrogant an attitude towords charity.

The fact you really are hot and bothered by the fact that they 'only' gave out water, put videos on big screens, had fomer (and well respected) internationals there FOR FREE is a very sad insight into what you think the world owes you.

It was a charity walk ffs. Get over yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Who made the promise of entertainment at the Aviva? What did they exactly say?

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »

That Duffer would feed my kids grapes stuffed with foi gras and Keano would wipe their arses with goose necks....

Dempsey wrote: »

when the foundation were promoting the event to the clubs/leagues etc. they said the plan for the day was the walk would kick off at x time along to the aviva. upon arrival at the aviva their would be a fun day of entertainment for the kids along with appearances by the irish football team. there were other rumours about who else would be there but rumours are rumours my point and the majority of clubs in attendance point is that they did not fulfil the day that had been advertised/promised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Most kids would be happy just to visit the stadium-with the price of match tickets it may be the first and possibly last time they'd get there.@ the op-my own little world isn't full of over expectation and feeling the need to pass it onto my kids.It was a charity walk,would you have complained if it was a few laps around the streets in your area and then home or did you want the red carpet to the middle of the pitch then to be met by the current Irish squad.
    You should have realised that the tone of your original post was going to get a backlash,you sounded like the kid that wanted all the toys before Christmas then cried because you only got half.
    Are you not happy in the knowledge that you and your kids did something for charity or should we send you a medal?

when the foundation were promoting the event to the clubs/leagues etc. they said the plan for the day was the walk would kick off at x time along to the aviva. upon arrival at the aviva their would be a fun day of entertainment for the kids along with appearances by the irish football team. there were other rumours about who else would be there but rumours are rumours my point and the majority of clubs in attendance point is that they did not fulfil the day that had been advertised/promised

All of the above happened. But just not to the standard you demanded. From a charity. Who is giving your club 50% of what you raise.

zerks wrote: »
    Most kids would be happy just to visit the stadium-with the price of match tickets it may be the first and possibly last time they'd get there.@ the op-my own little world isn't full of over expectation and feeling the need to pass it onto my kids.It was a charity walk,would you have complained if it was a few laps around the streets in your area and then home or did you want the red carpet to the middle of the pitch then to be met by the current Irish squad.
    You should have realised that the tone of your original post was going to get a backlash,you sounded like the kid that wanted all the toys before Christmas then cried because you only got half.
    Are you not happy in the knowledge that you and your kids did something for charity or should we send you a medal?

my expectations were what we were told to expect

look if we were told we were going to do a walk and the kids get into the aviva for an hour or so and thats it, that would have been fine but when your told about the other things i think most people would expect them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Its all about expectations really.

If it was just billed as "charity walk" and nothing else, then there would have been no complaints.

This event was built around children participation. In Dublin, most of the kids were very disappointed. They thought there'd be goodie bags, entertainment and that they'd meet the Irish team.

Those kids won't be so keen to make the efforts to raise funds for the sae event next year.

Johnny Giles and the organising team have admitted to getting it wrong. They've admitted mistakes were made. So no need for the holier than thou brigade who werent even there to try and defend it!

There were some good experiences down the country. John O'Shea, Stephen Hunt and Shane Long were among the current international players who turned up and signed autographs etc. for the kids.

If it was just billed as "charity walk" and nothing else, then there would have been no complaints.

This event was built around children participation. In Dublin, most of the kids were very disappointed. They thought there'd be goodie bags, entertainment and that they'd meet the Irish team.

Those kids won't be so keen to make the efforts to raise funds for the sae event next year.

Johnny Giles and the organising team have admitted to getting it wrong. They've admitted mistakes were made. So no need for the holier than thou brigade who werent even there to try and defend it!

There were some good experiences down the country. John O'Shea, Stephen Hunt and Shane Long were among the current international players who turned up and signed autographs etc. for the kids.

thats exactly my gripe as i said if it was just promoted as a walk and nothing else thats perfectly fine (even though i doubt they would have gotten the same turn out). as i said previously i do commend jg for going on air and saying his piece, he was disappointed himself and he held reservations about putting his name to something in the future that would yield the same result.

overall it was originally a good idea but just the planning let it down, they said they didnt expect the teams to be as young as they were. that was the basic and biggest mistake that was made imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

All of the above happened. But just not to the standard you demanded. From a charity. Who is giving your club 50% of what you raise.

The High Horse brigade are out in force on this one.

I heard Johnny Giles on the radio yesterday speaking of this and he too was disappointed at what happened, The op is not a lone voice on this.

The Op is entitled to be aggrieved if the event did not live up to it's own promotional material irrespective of whether it was for charity or not. If they advertise stuff that did not happen he has a legitimate complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Muppet wrote: »

I heard Johnny Giles on the radio yesterday speaking of this and he too was disappointed at what happened, The op is not a lone voice on this.

The Op is entitled to be aggrieved if the event did not live up to it's own promotional material irrespective of whether it was for charity or not. If they advertise stuff that did not happen he has a legitimate complaint.

its nothng to do with High horse. Its all to do with what alot of posters on here would take for granted as certain values, which apparently missing in abundance with the OP.

Its shocking to read really.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    its nothng to do with High horse. Its all to do with what alot of posters on here would take for granted as certain values, which apparently missing in abundance with the OP.

explain please?

The Muppet wrote: »

Being aggrieved is one thing.

Going ape because there wasn't a load of free stuff and pizazz at a charity walk and hinting that clubs might withold the monies raised is entirely another.

Going ape because there wasn't a load of free stuff and pizazz at a charity walk and hinting that clubs might withold the monies raised is entirely another.

whos going ape??? im perfectly calm

im not hinting at anything, clubs have actually said this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Again the OP said even a packet of crisps, not a load of free stuff, he also never mentioned him or his club withholding but there was talk of others doing so, which alot of posters seem to be getting mixed up

I'd agree with that

Did Giles say it was badly planned around the country or just Dublin/Aviva? You think Giles was going to take the "fúck em" attitude on the radio? Maybe Giles was expecting more from those he left in charge to organise but I dont think they failed to deliver on any of their promises just that some people were expecting too much from a charity event.

The OP smacks of a sense of entitlement

IPAM wrote: »
    Again the OP said even a packet of crisps, not a load of free stuff, he also never mentioned him or his club withholding but there was talk of others doing so, which alot of posters seem to be getting mixed up

But its not just 'a' packet of crisps. Its 12,000 packets of crisps. In a venue that has an exclusive deal with caterers.

It would have been nice if they could have handed out sponsored freebies, but they couldn't. The problem here is that there is an expectation that people would get handed stuff from a charity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

But its not just 'a' packet of crisps. Its 12,000 packets of crisps. In a venue that has an exclusive deal with caterers.

It would have been nice if they could have handed out sponsored freebies, but they couldn't. The problem here is that there is an expectation that people would get handed stuff from a charity.

Why not, they could have given them outside the Aviva grounds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I'm going to stick up for the OP here, and this is my only post on the matter. I am not getting involved in name calling, slagging or accusations of fraud or theft like some of the other internet warriors here. I do find it ironic that most of those criticising the OP did not make the effort to partake themselves.

This walk was sold as an event, much the same as a racing night for charity would be. I would not be happy to pay 20 euro into such a night and then sit in silence while thinking " at least the takings are for charity ". Live Aid was for charity but if all they had produced was a stage with music videos I doubt it would have raised as much.

Whether people think it's selfish or not, I gave up my Sunday afternoon from 12.30 pm to 8 pm for a total sponsorship of 200 euro. I could have taken the money, not done said walk and both those who sponsored me, my club and charity would be none the wiser but with the same results financially. The fact is, we did keep our side of the bargain, and the organisers did not. A steward at the start was saying Jedward were due to appear. As it turned out, they sent a recorded message [ not necessarily a bad thing considering ]

One of my kids is 4, do you think it is a case of poor fitness or diet that he was jaded in the heat? In fact, he had a burger last month, would this be the cause ?

The detour through Ringsend was not needed, and was not advertised ( if it was I missed it ).

Finally, the Aviva stadium, which was accessible for most working class families for once, proved not to be interested providing some light entertainment for their future customers.

For an event which most were suggesting would become an annual one, the disappointment is unlikely to encourage the same turn out next year.

Finally, for something that reflects so poorly on Irish football clubs as stated by a few in the thread, how poorly does it reflect on the FAI and the Irish football team that none of them felt charitable enough to reflect the efforts of those that took part.

Finally, for something that reflects so poorly on Irish football clubs as stated by a few in the thread, how poorly does it reflect on the FAI and the Irish football team that none of them felt charitable enough to reflect the efforts of those that took part.

Explain that better please, you trying to say that none of the Irish Football Team took part in this event??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Kelly, Keane, Giles, Trappatoni, Dunphy, Herlihy and many former players, Mulligan and Martin, were at the start in Fitzwilliam Street. Shane Long was at the one in Thurles. O'Shea and the two Hunts were at the one in Waterford.
    All the clubs were sent a map of the course and it clearly showed the walk going through Ringsend village.
    There hasn't been negative feedback about the walks that took place outside Dublin. Most of those walks were longer in distance ( Dublin was only between 3 and 4K ) and most of them just did the walk, with no entertainment at the finish. Perhaps finishing in the AVIVA was a bad idea. Maybe next year it should just be the walk only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Kelly, Keane, Giles, Trappatoni, Dunphy, Herlihy and many former players, Mulligan and Martin, were at the start in Fitzwilliam Street. Shane Long was at the one in Thurles. O'Shea and the two Hunts were at the one in Waterford.
    All the clubs were sent a map of the course and it clearly showed the walk going through Ringsend village.
    There hasn't been negative feedback about the walks that took place outside Dublin. Most of those walks were longer in distance ( Dublin was only between 3 and 4K ) and most of them just did the walk, with no entertainment at the finish. Perhaps finishing in the AVIVA was a bad idea. Maybe next year it should just be the walk only.

It was piss poor organisation from what i can tell. Would it really have been too much to ask somebody like Tayto for example to through a few bags of crips or whatever to kids. Pretty cheap marketing from a few well known irish brands would be fairly easy imo, they could have even advertised these brands in conjuction with the walk. Its a bit rich to have a burger and chips for 11 euro at the end of a charity walk.

The OP is just giving a view from alot of people who went on that walk, basically, shoddy organisation. IMO, i dont think expectations were overly high tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

+1. I heard people complaining about the walk on the radio. Ok so Jedward didn't turn up. Big deal. Everyone who went on that walk and donated money should be proud of what they did.

Its not a concert where you buy a ticket in exchange for entertainment. You donate the money cause you think its a worthy cause. End of.

Oh and fair play to anyone who did give up their time and money. Good on ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I don't know what's worse, people moaning about it, or people saying that a packet of crisps would have made everything ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

adox wrote: »

Thanks for clearing that up for me.:D

Why should the exclusive deal for caterers be a consideration at a charity event unless you think it's ok to exploit the walkers.

I'd be pretty sure that some company would have been happy to sponsor some light refresments for the participants in such a high profile national charity event if the people organising it had put in the effort.

Is the FAI a charity now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah the real problem here seems to be a lack of effort on the part of the organisers and not the fact that what they did was for charity.

Anybody who withholds money is a piece of garbage imo. What you do in a situation like this is write or email the organisers and express your unhappiness and ask them to do more next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I don't know what's worse, people moaning about it, or people saying that a packet of crisps would have made everything ok.

Forget the crisps if it makes you any happier, the least you would expect is the odd table en route with a couple of water drums and a place where you might want to take kids to go to the toilet and not having to resort to the behind a tree or car.

Theres plenty of charity walks throughout the country that are a success, for example i know one in galway that had a monster bbq at the end with 2k people in it, ive never heard of a charity walk that at the very least didnt have light refreshments or a few prizes up for grabs from donations. If 'little ireland' can do such things you would think the people with access to the national stadium could do things a little better.

There hasn't been negative feedback about the walks that took place outside Dublin.

have a look at the fb page for the foundation i think you'll find there was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Why does everyone on boards always feel like they need to reply with an attitude.

The johnny giles foundation is getting a lot of positive rep for this walk, in my opinion the cost of that food was crazy for such a day...and how dare someone criticise a father for giving his child burger and chips. You know nothing about how re raises his children and I'm guessing you don't have children of your own. The OP has every right to question how an event like this is run. The mistake he made was posting it here.
    i agree totally. I've been made to feel stupid on here before. Nothing but cyber bullying. Mods need to put a stop to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Hopefully the kids didn't starve to death without access to free crisps. The emergency services should be briefed about this danger for next year..

Advertisement