Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning: mice bedding!!!

• 29-03-2011 6:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

just a warning to anyone keeping mice do not buy the cotton wool stuff in pet shops my mouse just made a nest out of it for her babies (i'd already given it to her before i knew the risks)three of her babies became tangled up together in it and have each lost a back paw :( this is only my second time keeping mice I bought it because it looked comfortable but i will never give this stuff again. mice are happy enough with non coloured tissue paper or wood chip, i've also given baby shoes and socks and they love this too.

Avoid this cotten wool stuff. hopefully as the babies lost their feet at only two days old they will learn to walk and do well.

ps if anyone want a mouse let me know they should be ready for separation in about four weeks. there was a litter of 9 black and white.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I've heard of this happening too :( Hopefully they learn to walk fine, and are ok.

Be careful of who the give the babies to, if you don't want them ending up as reptile food . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Thanks sophie hope they will make pets for people who'll love them as much as I do dont want them to end up as food, after a 100per cent survival rate from the litter it would be a shame for the little darlings to end up being eaten i'm sure i'll be able to get some homes for them. If they look anything like the're mammy and aunty they'll be gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Aww no that is awful, poor things.
    I have been researching Mice for almost a year now and really want to get some in the near future. Where are you located out of interest?

I'm in Ballyfermot in Dublin, mice make excellant pets they are so cute and friendly and fun, and fairly low maintenance they can be left on their own for up to three days, its best to handle them daily though and they'll get to know you my mice just crawl on me or sit at the back of my neck while i'm watching telly love them :)

This is the babies mum

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=1926377323833&set=a.1926261280932.114077.1374160546&theater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Never use tissue paper! They can ingest this! Hay chopped up nice & fine with scissors is the best bedding you can use - not fresh hay because of fleas & ticks but older hay or the stuff you buy in a shop.

You can also use the j-style clothes cut into strips. Wood shavings never sawdust.

• Advertisement

Thanks fayesy

Hope they grow up nice and strong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I love mice :) Just from seeing them in pet shops, they seem really really friendly.

they are walking great one of them is actually better at walking and more independant than the others, you can hardly tell them apart from the rest they are two weeks old now they're eyes just opened and they're perfect :D

Awww, have you any pictures?

• Advertisement

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=1926377323833&set=t.546951700&theater
    The mammy ebony

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=1960101006904&set=a.1926261280932.114077.1374160546&theater
    my two favourites

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=1960099006854&set=a.1926261280932.114077.1374160546&theater
    The second litter one week old

They are gorgeous but the gotta go really wanna find homes for them dont want them to go as food am advertising on adpost, buy and sell and gumtree and have only homed two :(

11 to go :eek:

Aww dotes, hope you manage to find them decent homes, would love mice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Our gerbils were happy with woodchip bedding, hay and sheets of newspapers which they shredded for their nests.

When they had babies, some of the bedding from the nest was rubbed on defrosted mouse pinkies to tempt reluctant feeders (baby cornsnakes) to eat. The eau de gerbil pee smell on their food seemed to do the trick.

The baby gerbils ended up in the local petshop (with the exception of one who leaped from the cage when I opened it and hit the floor at an awkward angle and killed itself, let's just say the only one who was happy about that was Mamma cornsnake)

I'd like to keep gerbils again, though I'll be more careful opening the door of the cage now. I might keep rats instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

What is a good one for nests is shredded paper I find. That and a bit of hay, snug as bugs and no risk of amputation!

Advertisement