Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOG TRAINING !!! BEWARE !!!!

• 29-03-2011 7:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

just thought I'd share my opinion on dog training. There rae loads of trainers available these days.

An easy option is to leave your dog ang get it back fully trained, how convenient. DONT.
    - you dont know what methods are used
    - in most cases its the owner that needs to be shown how to educate the dog

I have recently enquired to someone who "keeps the dog for a week or 2 and come back like an angel". unfortunately I have found out that shoking collars are being used. I saw them and they are CRUAl devices.

I'd rather live with my dog pulling a bit than leaving my dog with those heartless so called trainers.

I fond it hard enough to leave my dogs for a few days with their "nanny" when I go away and tey are treated really well so I could never do that

anyway to be successfully train a dog HE NEEDS TO BOND WITH THEIR OWNER and this is very important.

Please consider all this before enrolling your dog to any of those "courses". I know it sounds like an easy option but just dont.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

totally agree its the lazy way out. its the owner that needs training just as much as the dog. what point in having a well trained dog and owner not knowing what to do what ever methods are used. I hate choke chains, dont thing there is any reason whats so ever to use them. Trying to find a trainer for my sons GSD and lots want to use these collars, so straight away its a no go.
    I know someone who sent there 2 rotties to be trained the state of them when they came back, nervous wreaks, fleas skinny. he was told but decided to go ahead. the only one that suffered cos of his laziness was his poor dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I agree 100%. It's not the dog that needs the training, it's the owner. Any place who tells you they can magically train your dog for you while you sit at home with your feet up is a scam. Some of them might not be so bad as to use shock collars, etc, but the whole thing is pointless if the owner doesn't know how to do the training with their dog. Dog training is not a once off, it's ongoing for the dog's whole life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

I brought my fella to training classes and I felt that I learned a lot more than he did, not a chance would I abandon him with someone else to do it as I wouldn't have learned anything or known what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭SirenX

i don't really understand why you would want to leave your dog with someone else no matter how well or bad they treated your dog. I mean the whole point of training is not just about your dog, it's about the owner too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

not a chance I would ever leave my dogs to someone unless I trust them 100%

the fella I met looked more like a gangster out of jail looking to make easy money and was no dog lover. I nearly attacked him with the shocking collars when he showed them to me. I was horrified.
    This is a guy who's supposed to have a "good name in the industry" with a proper webiste and all. WOW. scary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Completely agree with the above posters.
    Its not the dog that needs training, it's the owner.
    Ive only just started obedience classes with one of mine and I got so much out of it. I'm raging I can't make this weeks class.
    Training a dog is not something that can be done in a couple of weeks. How will the owner know how to reinforce the good behaviour if they haven't been at the training?
    I cldnt just send my dogs off for a couple of weeks like that and not know how they are going to be treated.
    Things like this make me so mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

falabo wrote: »
    This is a guy who's supposed to have a "good name in the industry" with a proper webiste and all. WOW. scary

'Good name' is relative to what many people think is 'good', and sadly physical punishment is considered quite acceptable by a lot of people. Anybody can set up a website, or pay someone to do it for them, unfortunately it doesn't mean they have a clue about dog training.
    I recommend someone who can prove they have qualifications in dog training (and not some mickey mouse type thing). Being accredited with the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) is ideal too. I think an Irish branch of this has just been started up.
    I just googled it and their website is www.apdt.ie - probably a good place to start if you're seaching for a good trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Good training is training you to train the dog. Its the owner that does the work so yes Id be extremley wary of any course that says your dog is going to go away and come back like an angel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

falabo wrote: »
    just thought I'd share my opinion on dog training. There rae loads of trainers available these days.

An easy option is to leave your dog ang get it back fully trained, how convenient. DONT.
    - you dont know what methods are used
    - in most cases its the owner that needs to be shown how to educate the dog

I have recently enquired to someone who "keeps the dog for a week or 2 and come back like an angel". unfortunately I have found out that shoking collars are being used. I saw them and they are CRUAl devices.

I'd rather live with my dog pulling a bit than leaving my dog with those heartless so called trainers.

I fond it hard enough to leave my dogs for a few days with their "nanny" when I go away and tey are treated really well so I could never do that

anyway to be successfully train a dog HE NEEDS TO BOND WITH THEIR OWNER and this is very important.

Please consider all this before enrolling your dog to any of those "courses". I know it sounds like an easy option but just dont.

An average Joe just cant suddenly someday train a dog, in doing this you are actual causing the dogs behavior to change maybe making it worse. your post is very judgmental for trainers out there.

I agree with your statements saying the dog needs to bond with the owner but sometimes it takes a professional to correct a problem. Most top dog trainers will not be found in donedeal, gumtree or any sort of advertising websites, they will be threw word of mouth or threw top dog sites. To say they use shock collars is painting them all the same, i infact use a "shock" collar and i am 110% for them.

You just dont put the collar on the dog and shock it to death, this will not work as your dog will run away. The collar is reinforcement, for example my springer always ran after birds and never returned until he lost sight of them, so with the collar in 2 session he now will not even attempt to run after them. I put the collar on my leg first to see what the shock was like and its not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭taffy lulu

" I put the collar on my leg first to see what the shock was like and its not that bad"

Put it around your neck next time, where collars are actually worn, get someone to shock you sporadically - and then tell us what its like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Spunk84 wrote: »
    An average Joe just cant suddenly someday train a dog, in doing this you are actual causing the dogs behavior to change maybe making it worse. your post is very judgmental for trainers out there.

I agree with your statements saying the dog needs to bond with the owner but sometimes it takes a professional to correct a problem. Most top dog trainers will not be found in donedeal, gumtree or any sort of advertising websites, they will be threw word of mouth or threw top dog sites. To say they use shock collars is painting them all the same, i infact use a "shock" collar and i am 110% for them.

You just dont put the collar on the dog and shock it to death, this will not work as your dog will run away. The collar is reinforcement, for example my springer always ran after birds and never returned until he lost sight of them, so with the collar in 2 session he now will not even attempt to run after them. I put the collar on my leg first to see what the shock was like and its not that bad.

Professional trainers will not ever need to use something like a shock collar and if they did i wouldnt go near them or ever bring my dog to them.

A shock collar has no place when training a dog, they are cruel and unnecessary.
    Training should be about positive rewarding and encouragement, not being shocked and hurt every time it doesnt something wrong:mad:

I really hope you are not a trainer because no "good" dog trainer will ever have the need to use these horrible pieces of equipement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

Spunk84 wrote: »

Your poor dog :(

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

i had a very bad experience with a "professinal dog trainer". He took alot of money of me and was all talk about how he can really help us with our dog, (rescue EBT) who had never been on a lead, or never been outside his previous residence, so very nervous but super friendly!
    After 3 weeks we went to collect him and he basically told us after 3 weeks and a large sum of money our dog cud sometimes sit, could walk on a lead if nothing else was about, does not recall and does not lie down... We knew this when we left him there because we had done all this with him! Him being a white EBT with pink skin made it very clear to us within on two seconds of seeing him he had been trained using a prong collor.
    When I confronted him on this, his repley was "well women shouldnt have EBT. Their a mans breed".
    I had been to training classes with him before and because he was a EBT we were not exactly excepted with open arms, and this trainer was recommended by a local vet! needless to say they have stopped recommending him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I agree!! Didnt think they still did this...regardless of the methods used.....it doesnt and wont work as the dog is trained (wrong) for the other person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

andreac wrote: »
    Professional trainers will not ever need to use something like a shock collar and if they did i wouldnt go near them or ever bring my dog to them.

A shock collar has no place when training a dog, they are cruel and unnecessary.
    Training should be about positive rewarding and encouragement, not being shocked and hurt every time it doesnt something wrong:mad:

I really hope you are not a trainer because no "good" dog trainer will ever have the need to use these horrible pieces of equipement.

What level was never mentioned here? Ive had it on my neck and by god theres a blast from it and thats on a 4 level out of 10

Advertisement