Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skilled migrant visa

Options
  • 29-03-2011 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hey all sorry if this question has been asked before I havent been on boards in a while but i really hope somebody out there can shed some light on this for me.

Im currently living in sydney on a 1 year working holiday visa.Im a qualified electrician employed with a labour hire company here.My visa expires the end of the year so I was thinking of doing regional work(farming,forestry etc) to qualify for a second year visa.

However today i was told that when i go home without doing the regional work i can come back over on a skilled migrant visa.....

Could someone that is 100% sure on this please advise me if this is corrent?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yeah its correct!!!

As long as you qualify for a skilled migration visa, you can obtain a skills assessment, Pay your $2575 +other costs and complete the forms for the skilled migration visa and wait 2 years for processing. Then Bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrner51

mandrake are you serious?is there no easier way i can get a visa for the second year?

also is that skilled migrant visa a permanent visa?i thought it was just a visa that allows another year in australia or 2 years if you havent been here before

yeah a Skilled migrant visa is exactly that ......permanent hence the use of the word migrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrner51

ok well thanks for the info.
    guess ill be just doing the regional work I couldent see myself living here more than 2 years I just want to stay while im young and until things pick up a bit at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

byrner51 wrote: »
    guess ill be just doing the regional work I couldent see myself living here more than 2 years I just want to stay while im young and until things pick up a bit at home!

You can work as a sparks in regional areas rather than farmwork!
    construction work counts towards the 2nd year visa. doesn't have to be fruit picking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

byrner51 wrote: »
    By the time things pick up at home you may not be all that young.

^ Yeah I think you need more than a another 1 year visa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sydneypaddy

You can definitely work as an electrician on a construction site for the second year visa. Cities such as Darwin and Adelaide are considered regional for this so you don't have to go bush!

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1263.pdf

:)

http://sydneypaddy.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 iawb

Hey Byrner51
    You can definitely do the regional work in construction in your trade as a spark. (as someone said previously Adelaide and Darwin count as regional so you can still stay in one of the cities if you are not mad about going bush!) That will get you the 2nd WHV
    Or you can apply for the skilled migration visa - processing time around two years at present
    Or you could look for sponsorship with a company, usually anything from 3 months to 4 years, they have to agree to sponsor you [ie say there is work for you for the specified period of time, pay you award wages, currently over $47000ish - you can check on the immigration website - ] and you are bound to work for them

Mod SNIP - please don't pimp your website, if you want advertisement pay for it. any more pimping and I;ll ban you.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Yeah its correct!!!

As long as you qualify for a skilled migration visa, you can obtain a skills assessment, Pay your $2575 +other costs and complete the forms for the skilled migration visa and wait 2 years for processing. Then Bobs your uncle.

Hate to break it to you OP but 2 years is best case scenario, 2 of my friends have finally been granted theirs in the last month and both were waiting between 3 and 3.5 years.

Also, as of the 1st July - tradesmen will find it extra hard with the skilled migration list unless they also have 3rd level education and a language! So application would need to be in before 1st July to be sure. See the below link, i'm not an expert on this - only had my attention drawn to the new regulations coming in the other day

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0329/1224293297828.html

I'm in my first year of a 457 Sponsorship Visa and we have been advised by anyone we have spoken to about getting residency to go for the Employer Nominated Residency as opposed to the Skilled Migration Visa. Its granted in most cases in around 6 months or less and is a lot easier to get.

Good luck :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement