Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed lab and tutorial

Options
  • 29-03-2011 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

I missed a lab and a tutorial last week due to illness. Each were worth 5% of their respective modules.

This is the first time this has happened to me so I don't know what the procedure is as the opportunity to do these at a later date is over because they were only offered last week when I wasn't in. I have a doctors note.

I looked up extenuating circumstances and it looks like it's only for people who had someone passing away or to do with exams. I mean I wasn't hospitalised but definitely wasn't in a position do to the lab and tutorial. I don't get it and the information about illness it is very sparse on the ucd site.

If someone could tell me what to do that would be great.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Have you a doctors note? The extenuating circumstances guideline includes acute illness.
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/pol_ext_circum_gn.pdf

You should contact your tutor personally as well and explain the situation the them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Go to the people in charge of the labs in your department. If it's chemistry go to Andy Rous and ask him about what to do. Your tutors won't be able to do anything. It's up to the lecturer who does those tutorials.

Go to the people in charge of the labs in your department. If it's chemistry go to Andy Rous and ask him about what to do. Your tutors won't be able to do anything. It's up to the lecturer who does those tutorials.

Well they would have been able to say "go to Person X and they can sort it out".

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You will find that the staff member will allow you do it again, without the hassle of going the extenuating circumstances route. Wouldn't hurt to bring the doctor's note with you when you go either.

^ +1 to the above. You rarely need to bother with the extenuating circumstances route, although knowing the criteria is useful. Often it can be sorted out informally but be prepared to have doctors note etc just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Thanks for your help everyone. Wasn't sure what to do. I contacted one of my lecturers and he said he'd take it into account and the other components would be worth more and the one I missed wouldn't count which is great :)

Thanks Sweet-Rasmus it's biology. Andy Rous is really nice and helpful, though I don't think he could help with biology :p.I don't think there's a lab coordinator for biology it seems that each module coordinator does their own labs. I'll try contact the module coordinator.

Thanks everyone.
    It's a new experience with all of the different policies for everything.

Advertisement