Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Líon scoileanna Gaeilge i mBaile Átha Cliath Thuaidh (Irish Schools in NCD)

Options
  • 29-03-2011 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks.

Myself and D’missus have a lil’ one on the way.

From what I’ve been told we have to look into the schooling aspect as soon as…..

So I was thinking about sending the lil one to a gaelscoil. (We’re living in Portmarnock).

Does anyone have any info about gaelscoil’s in the area.

Also are gaelscoil’s beneficial to the child.

How much of an understanding and grasp of the language would Myself and D’Mrs need to have, we did it in school, but as we all know that doesn’t make us fluent :(

Any information would be greatly appreciated regarding the child’s development or the caliber of gaelscoil in the area.

Go raibh maith agat roimh ré ……thanks in advance…;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Don't know much myself, but try posting in the primary school section here. Might get some feedback from there too..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1022

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I am not in Portmarnock area but my experience of Gaelscoil Ros Eó are only positive.

I call it the happy school. Every day I am greeted by happiest children you could meet. The teachers obviously play an important role here and are superb with the kids. You can see a great respect going in both directions, I have been dealing with Gael Scoil Ros Eó for 3 years on a daily basis and am stunned at how it has developed. Every day I see kids who have little or no Irish in the background developing steadily to where they are chatting to me and others who visit the school in Irish.

The school are activily running programmes for parents from total beginners to people who can converse in Irish.I would imagine all Gael Scoilleana do the the same. Some parents I know had NO Irish but done beginners classes and found it great.

I should point out that my kids dont go to the Gael Scoil they are very well catered for in Rush N.S who are equally dedicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

there's one in Feltrim which wouldnt be too far from you
    Gaelscoil An Duinninigh

• Registered Users Posts: 13 stwidgie

Gaelscoil Míde looks like it may also be nearby (Kilbarrack - Greendale Road). I just visited the school last week, and I got an excellent impression. Know a couple of the teachers, and I think it's got a good reputation.

Congratulations on the forthcoming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Faolchu wrote: »
    there's one in Feltrim which wouldnt be too far from you
    Gaelscoil An Duinninigh

i actually think this school was originally in portmarnock until it was relocated to feltrim about 15 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

i actually think this school was originally in portmarnock until it was relocated to feltrim about 15 years ago

Thanks for all responses so far Folks.

I was told they are building on to this with a re-opening due this year?

B.

Building is up more or less, needs still be decorated etc on the inside. I'd say it be ready for next school year.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭f9710145

My lad is in Scoil and Duninninigh. Most parents aren't even close to fluent but you'd be amazed how much comes back and how quickly. They also do evening classes for any parents who want to brush up, my husband does them and his Irish has come on immensely. We also have a few English parents who have no Irish at all.
    Kids are hopefully moving into the new building after the easter break, but depends on how much is getting done over the hols. Looks great from the outside though. Anyone who knows this school (my lad is only in JI) or is from the area, what secondary school catchment area are they in? Thinking of moving closer, outside the area at the moment, just wondering about secondary schools, portmarnock would be pref but although it's a feeder school, preference is given to those living in portmarnock...

I've no idea what secondary school is most closely related with SaD. I am not aware of any Irish Speaking Secondary schools in the area. But from the people that live around the school, the kids i knew went to school in either Swords, Malahide or kinsealy/Coolock. The kids that went to Malahide usually went to Pope John Pauls. The kids that went to swords st colmciles. Not too sure about coolock but Kinsealy National School (St nicolas of myra would be one)

Malahide community school / scoil iosa

Colaiste Colm Swords
    St finians swords
    Fingal Community College swords

Belcamp (gone)
    Chanel coolege
    Some other girls schools in Coolock I've forgotton
    Mount Temple

My knowledge is probably about 10 years out of date and probably broadly irrelevant to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

oldscoil wrote: »
    Hi Folks.

Myself and D’missus have a lil’ one on the way.

From what I’ve been told we have to look into the schooling aspect as soon as…..

So I was thinking about sending the lil one to a gaelscoil. (We’re living in Portmarnock).

Does anyone have any info about gaelscoil’s in the area.

Also are gaelscoil’s beneficial to the child.

How much of an understanding and grasp of the language would Myself and D’Mrs need to have, we did it in school, but as we all know that doesn’t make us fluent :(

Any information would be greatly appreciated regarding the child’s development or the caliber of gaelscoil in the area.

Go raibh maith agat roimh ré ……thanks in advance…;)

Scoil An duinninigh is a nice school, new building looks great probably your closest Gael Scoil as the crow flies, also you'd be going against the traffic in the mornings from Portmarnock. (http://www.scoiland.ie/)

Gael Colaiste Reachrann in D13 is a relatively new one, a good school by all accounts but obviously a few years away in terms of a decision! (http://www.gcreachrann.com/)

• Advertisement
Advertisement