Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organ Donor E Card - The Irish Kidney Association

Options
  • 29-03-2011 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

This is just being discussed (29 March 2011) on the John Murray Show, RTE Radio 1, at the moment.

Install the app, fill in the details and potentially save a life.

I find the idea of a phone application having so much legal weight interesting. I guess the system will work until the first next of kin that go to challenge it in the courts..

https://market.android.com/details?id=ie.ika.mobileapp&feature=search_result

---

donorecard.gif

donorappui.gif

---

I personally support organ donation, you're just going to be buried or cremated anyway, why not put your corpse\remains to good use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Its no different than carrying around a signed card, as long as the details on the app are secure.

In the future mobiles will become devices that hold everything from credit card details to receipts to whatever else we carry or interact with everyday. It makes sense.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Amalgam wrote: »
    I find the idea of a phone application having so much legal weight interesting.
    Does it? As I understand it, a donor card carries little or no legal weight. It's far more important to ensure that the people who will be making the decision are aware of your wishes. A donor card or app (I think) is nothing more than an expression of that.

I think this may be a bit of a gimmick, but if it encourages more people to be organ donors then I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shakel

I think this is an excellent idea and for many people is much more accessible than a card in their wallet. Plus if/when the time comes there is a donor register this app will be able to upload people's info is they choose to allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

BeerNut wrote: »
    Does it? As I understand it, a donor card carries little or no legal weight. It's far more important to ensure that the people who will be making the decision are aware of your wishes. A donor card or app (I think) is nothing more than an expression of that.

I think this may be a bit of a gimmick, but if it encourages more people to be organ donors then I'm all for it.
    Agreed, you have to have a chat with your next of kin as the decision is ultimately theirs to make.
    That said though as much of a gimmick as it is, it made me get a card. You're supposed to leave the app on your home screen so it can be found easily by paramedics. I didn't really want to do that, plus there's always the chance that in a fatal accident your phone could be damaged so I opted for the card. Applied for it last week and got it the next day. Here's the link for anyone interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

seems an odd idea, would anyone with a smartphone not have a screenlock in place?
    i guess its just, as others have said, to get people talking about it

• Advertisement
Advertisement