Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

n00b Saorsat question

• 29-03-2011 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭

I currently have a dish with an Octo LNB installed.. We have Sky+ to the sitting room, and 4 other signals to freeview decoders around the house..
    Everything works great, but I obviously don't get RTE to the freeview decoders (and I want to watch the international games).

I read that the Saorsat service is on a different satellite than I am currently using.. Would this mean that I would need a second dish in order to pickup RTE services, or would one those of multi LNB holders suffice? (as I have a quad LNB spare)..

I'm assuming I would need a seperate dish, and if so what would be the use of a quad LNB holder (http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/4-wa...der-new/287766), or could that allow me to connect to multiple satellites?

Not having another dish would obviously be my preference if that was possible smile.gif

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Saorsat doesn't exist yet.
    Saorsat only maybe works on "Freesat HD" box (DVB-S2). We won't know till the service starts.
    You need a second dish and different LNB for Ka Band.
    Sky dishes are useless for Multisat or Ka Band.

A dish set up like this with a Multiswitch box and DVB-S2 HD satellite receivers could be a multiroom and/or PVR solution, eventually, for Saorsat + "Freesat HD"
    134102.png

http://www.saortv.info/satellite-saorsat/
    http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/satellite-distribution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

You will not need a seperate dish if you had a Free to air HD Satellite and Terrestrial Digital Ferguson HD Ariva Combo Box

Price: €189.00 Inc. VAT at 21%

Ferguson Ariva HD terrestrial and satellite combo model with Ethernet LAN port . Allows direct updating of firmware and future online capabilities from the internet .

This receiver box will allow you to watch free to air High definition satellite TV via a dish and Irish MPEG 4 terrestrial digital TV via an aerial if it is available in your area.

Just connect up your Sat and Rabbits Ears to the Box.

I haven't bought one myself but will go down this way soon.

As I am new to the Sat scene a quick question to anybody with some feedback.

How did the Snow we had earlier in the year affect the reception on the Dish

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Ahh thanks Watty.. Appreciate the info.. I was just using the info in Wiki, and thought it had said mid 2010 for the release..

No rush then, if its not available :)

Our Sky dish was knackered, so I replaced it with one of the freeview Ross (from B&Q) ones a few weeks ago, as I had it spare in the shed..
    Works fine for Sky and the Freeview stuff..

Would that be sufficient for Saorsat (its a circular ~80cm dish) using the multi LNB holder you mentioned?
    It would be connected to my PC via a DVB-S2 card (mpeg4 support)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

As I am new to the Sat scene a quick question to anybody with some feedback.

How did the Snow we had earlier in the year affect the reception on the Dish

Regarding the snow, I only really noticed occasional dropouts when the snow was coming down really heavily. When it was snowing like it was most of the time, no issues. An overnight build-up of snow on the LNB didn't seem to cause drop outs either. I did notice some neighbours who have their dishes on T&K brackets, with the dish up and over the eve-run at roof level, and with the snow lying on the roof, the LNB and half the dish were covered with the snow, so I guess they had issues with it! I have mine out of the way, but easy to get to if needed.

Bigger issue for me was the build-up of ice on the roof. I took the dish off the wall on the morning of the big thaw (think it was a Thursday) - there would have been damage if I hadn't.
    Welease wrote: »
    ....Would that be sufficient for Saorsat (its a circular ~80cm dish) using the multi LNB holder you mentioned?

I'm hoping to do something similar myself, get 28E and 9E on an 80cm dish (with 19E and 13E in between). The only issue you may have is with the multi-LNB holder. It's fine if you have X-brand dish, and get X-brand multi-LNB holder to fit it. So, you mightn't get a Triax multi-LNB holder to fit your B&Q dish. There are holders that are pretty much universal, like the ones pictured in this post, (I use similar, but they're fully metal, no plastic, and it's been rock-soild for going on 3.5 years). So, you'll need to look at the end of the LNB arm, and see what's possible.

It was due for Mid Year.

MonkieSocks
    The Combos are a pain for Satellite. They do not do MHEG5 which may be very important.

On Satellite they are as good as a €40 box, horrid. No auto scan, manual Transponder editing, no Interactive for Wimbleton / News etc, no Text Interactive. A major drop down in usuability compared to out of contract Sky or genuice Freesat HD box.

The "real" combo PVRs are as expensive as a Quad tuner Media PC!
    Welease wrote: »
    Would that be sufficient for Saorsat (its a circular ~80cm dish) using the multi LNB holder you mentioned?

The Ross dish is a bit flimsy. It's unlikely to take a standard Multi-LNB adaptor, but it could be "bodged" to have 2, 3 or 4 LNBs. The size is OK for most of the country. The dish would need pointed at 16E and LNBS offset on either side of arm for 28E and 9E.

If Saorsat goes as was originally planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Thanks Polyfusion and Watty for replies.

I was gone too buy one of those combo sat thingies but I will hold off for now.

Ordinary HD Sat Box for satelite and Wabbits ears for Saorview.

Many thanks :)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

You won't be able to record anything with that set up unless you have a VHS machine handy.

While the combo boxes aren't perfectly in line with the Saorview specs they will offer a simple way of selecting channels and some do offer a 7 day Freesat EPG by the back door.

Wait a little longer and there may be some definite information from Real Digital who may be about to announce a pay service on 28 East.

Why do we need a new Pay service here when PayTV pentration is already 30% higher than it should be?

Unless people want Sky Sports there is no point to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

watty wrote: »

MonkieSocks
    The Combos are a pain for Satellite. They do not do MHEG5 which may be very important.

On Satellite they are as good as a €40 box, horrid. No auto scan, manual Transponder editing, no Interactive for Wimbleton / News etc, no Text Interactive. A major drop down in usuability compared to out of contract Sky or genuice Freesat HD box.

They are no worse than a normal free to air box would you not agree? I don't think they are for everybody but I wouldn't write them off altogether! I know they are missing MHEG5 which might be important. It also might only be used for teletext.

Advertisement