Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skilled Migrant Visa report in Irish Times/New Points Test from 1st July 2011

Options
  • 29-03-2011 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am wondering why the Irish Times has given this report today:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0329/1224293297828.html

Now, to me it looks like this information is not new, and was given by the Australia authorities in November 2010, so why are they reporting about it today? Has something changed? It doesnt look like anything has changed??

Also, the information seems to be incorrect. The Irish Times state two things in particular:

1:
    "...points will be awarded for higher educational qualifications, language skills and relevant work experience."

2:
    "Irish-born applicants aged between 25 and 32 with a third-level degree in one of the designated occupations would meet the new points criteria"

...However according to the Australian authorities, owners of an Irish passport will get 15 points for speaking english, however to get maximum 25points they will still have to do the IELTS. Also, it states that ages 18-29 get 30 points and ages 30-34 get 25 points... where does it say ages 25-32??

Now, I am in the 30-34 bracket, have 7 years experience and a degree, and my point only come to 110, the same as the current points list (before July 1st 2011), so, my question is, what the hell are the Irish Times on about?!

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/eligibility-applicant.htm

Mod I have edited the title. also here is the announcement from the minister (11/11/2010)
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/whats-new.htm#h

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

I'll try not to answer my own question, but the link I provided below must be the CURRENT points requirements, not the anticipated new points requirements from July 1st 2011, which is:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-fact.pdf

However I can't find any info. about how many points you get for being a native english speaker, it appears they say you dont get any, and to get points you need to do the IELTS to get level 7 (10 points) or 8 (20 points). If you don't get any points that will leaves me with 10 points short!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Wouldn't say that report is that accurate.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-fact.pdf
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-testfaq.pdf

If you have a real trade qualification (ie. papers) and are between 25-32 you should be alright.

If you are over 40 ...unless you have a real high level qualification then you are going struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Hi, I logged on today to post a question regarding this issue. Me and my girlfriend are considering applying for Visa's to Oz also. I have being there before on a year long working Visa in 2005 so I need to apply for a different visa. My girlfriend has never being and can still qualify for a year long working visa so she wants to go over on that and either try get sponsored or apply for a second year visa when she is there to avoid paying the extra costs. She has close friends over there and is very eager to get there.

My problem lies here, I am a qualified Electrician with 6 years experience plus my 4 years as an apprentice. I, like a lot of people lost my job back in 2008. I was attending a part time college course at this point. I then decided to study full time for the past two years as I would complete my degree quicker.

I have now graduated as an Electrical Services Engineer and I am currently studying for a level 8 degree in Electrical Services and Energy Management, which I will be finished in May. So i applied for the Australian Emigration Visa via an agency and they told me I would need to prove I was working as an Electrician for 12 of the last 24 months for my visa to be accepted. I obviously can't do this as I have being in college the last 2 years.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions for me to follow up.
    Thanks,

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Hi, I logged on today to post a question regarding this issue. Me and my girlfriend are considering applying for Visa's to Oz also. I have being there before on a year long working Visa in 2005 so I need to apply for a different visa. My girlfriend has never being and can still qualify for a year long working visa so she wants to go over on that and either try get sponsored or apply for a second year visa when she is there to avoid paying the extra costs. She has close friends over there and is very eager to get there.

My problem lies here, I am a qualified Electrician with 6 years experience plus my 4 years as an apprentice. I, like a lot of people lost my job back in 2008. I was attending a part time college course at this point. I then decided to study full time for the past two years as I would complete my degree quicker.

I have now graduated as an Electrical Services Engineer and I am currently studying for a level 8 degree in Electrical Services and Energy Management, which I will be finished in May. So i applied for the Australian Emigration Visa via an agency and they told me I would need to prove I was working as an Electrician for 12 of the last 24 months for my visa to be accepted. I obviously can't do this as I have being in college the last 2 years.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions for me to follow up.
    Thanks,

Hi, I'm hoping to get my question answered first from this thread about the English language requirements in order to obtain a GSM 175 visa from July 1st onwards

However for your specific issue it looks like you don't have the relevent experience as you have been studying for the last two years and not working... have a look at the links above though as your agency may be referring to the rules regarding the current skilled visa requirements, not the new ones coming in on July 1st

Sorry for upsetting you there. I just taught this was a relevant place to post my questions? Is this not a forum for posting up queries or what?

• Advertisement

@Lima your Irish/English/USA/Canadian passport will deem you 6 or competent =0 points

@leftyguns you would need to have worked 3 years out of the last 5 to get 5 points. It might be the case if have not got it you won't get any points.

In the new points system 65 is the pass mark

Thanks mandrake, I have worked for 3 of the last 5 years but not in the last two years which I was originally told I must have, if that makes sense. I have done a quick calculation of the points system and I amass about 70 points, which I deem a good thing. Whats the deal with the English language area, is a test required to show the level you would be at?
    Thanks for the help.

Thanks Mandrake that's what I thought too, the Irish Times article doesn't tell the truth and gives no new information!

Looks like the IELTS will have to be done in my case anyway

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Thanks mandrake, I have worked for 3 of the last 5 years but not in the last two years which I was originally told I must have, if that makes sense. I have done a quick calculation of the points system and I amass about 70 points, which I deem a good thing. Whats the deal with the English language area, is a test required to show the level you would be at?
    Thanks for the help.

well if you are born into an English speaking country ie. Ireland, England & USA you are deemed to have only competent English which gets you 0 points.

If you were short of points you can do IELTS and achieve at least 7.0 across the 4 areas (reading/listening/writing/speaking) you would get 10 points.

achieve 8.0 across the 4 areas and get 20 points.

Just because its English does not mean its easy to a native English speaker that its easy, especially when you are trying to get 7.0 and above in all 4 areas.

Accountants for instance now have to do IELTS to 7.0 to get a skills assessment, no matter if you are native English speaker or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

5 points short.... Noooooooo.

May wait til Im 25. Nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

mandrake04 wrote: »
    well if you are born into an English speaking country ie. Ireland, England & USA you are deemed to have only competent English which gets you 0 points.

Not according to this:
    You also meet the English language threshold and will receive 15 points if you hold a valid passport from, and are a citizen of, one of the following countries:

United Kingdom (UK)
    Canada
    New Zealand
    United States of America (USA)
    Republic of Ireland.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/eligibility-english.htm

Vorsprung wrote: »

That's the old points test (the current one)

I was talking about the new test (1st July) which is the theme of this thread level 6 = 0 points

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Vorsprung, that's for the current points system not the proposed new one that Mandrake was talking about.

Under the new system it looks like although you will get assessed as having an IELTS level 6.0 if you're from one of the countries you mention, you're not going to get any points for it.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...oints-fact.pdf

From looking at how the points are allocated, this is probably going to lead to quite a few more people having to complete the IELTS to top up their points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Sigh.

I'm going to stay out of visa discussions in future.

Apologies for the confusion.

Advertisement