Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduing Chinchillas to each other

• 29-03-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any experience with this?

We are going to start to allow our two out together tonight after 3 week of living in separate cages in the same room, starting off out of sight line and being moved closer and closer. Cages are currently only about 2 inches apart from each other.

They have met each other a good few times so far while being held by us and generally are a bit ratty with each other, barking and sometimes going for each other.

The first free running intro will be in an area of the house unfamiliar to both and severely restricted so we can quickly separate them as needed. The only thing in it apart from us will be a sandbath they have both being using for a few week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Well it didn't go so well, they bumbled round ignoring each other for a while then had a big fight and sprayed wee everywhere. No injuries though, just some fur pulled out.

Will have to rethink before trying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Just wondering if you have tried again, we have a chinchilla for a year now and several times have thought of getting him a friend but afraid I will end up with two cages permantely which we really don't have the room for.

eeyore2502 wrote: »
    Just wondering if you have tried again, we have a chinchilla for a year now and several times have thought of getting him a friend but afraid I will end up with two cages permantely which we really don't have the room for.

not yet. Will leave them today and try again on Thursday maybe. Same circumstances see what reaction. The cages are only about 2 cm apart now and they are reacting to each other as so close so hopefully that will help.

There is a chance that we will be stuck with 2 cages which would be a total pain but we'd manage I think.

If yours is male they generally get on better with other males quicker than females with females from what I've read on intros. But there is always a small chance they won't ever get on. Obviously you can go male with female but that of course carries the risk of more chinchillas... which could get very messy.

Have any pics of him?

5573979614_459f049d64.jpg" Here is one of him on the back of the couch, not a great one taken on my iphone.

Any pics of your two?

• Advertisement

Lovely, had spotted those pics before. Love the colouring on Chilli really nice.

Advertisement