Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrics: extras for new build: unit price check?

Options
  • 29-03-2011 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Looking to validate the extra's on my new build for the electrics. Do these seem fair Ex-VAT unit prices for Clare?

Recessed light: €35
    Extra Heating Zone: €160
    Double Socket: €30
    Extractor Fan: €35

All above include 1st and 2nd wire and fix excluding the light fittings/socket fixtures. Block house.

Suffering from bill shock - cant believe how all those extra plugs and lights add up in the end!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Seems reasonable for a registered insured electrical contractor to me
    Hope he gave you price in advance of work done as all these extras add up

• Registered Users Posts: 36 russtini

Thats fine then - thanks Meerca; just wanted to make sure I wasnt being taken on prices...

I was so busy in the last finishes for the build I didn't ask for the prices and he didn't provide them. So off I went saying add this there, 10 recessed there, 4 extra sockets there and so on.

But yes he is registered, insured and invoice will include VAT etc so all above board there - and good job completed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

meercat wrote: »
    Seems reasonable for a registered insured electrical contractor to me

+1

Very fair prices especially when you consider that the price of cable has gone through the roof.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Recessed light and double socket prices are good.

I was charged 50 per extra double socket and 50 per extra recessed light in my build.That was all in,including the light/socket fixtures and fittings.

And that was after a good bit of haggling with the sparks over the overall costings and any further extras.

I also managed to get the sparks to supply the extra chrome face plates for the extra double sockets in the 50 euro price.He only wanted to use standard white plastic,but I insisted on matching chrome to match the rest of the house,and at no extra cost.

He eventually agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

paddy147 wrote: »
    Recessed light and double socket prices are good.

I was charged 50 per extra double socket and 50 per extra recessed light in my build.That was all in,including the light/socket fixtures and fittings.

And that was after a good bit of haggling with the sparks over the overall costings and any further extras.

I also managed to get the sparks to supply the extra chrome face plates for the extra double sockets in the 50 euro price.He only wanted to use standard white plastic,but I insisted on matching chrome to match the rest of the house,and at no extra cost.

He eventually agreed.

youre a hard man paddy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

meercat wrote: »
    youre a hard man paddy

I play a hard game.

If you dont ask,then you dont get.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 miltown man

ya man you got a good deal,im an electrician in co. clare ,our prices are 40 a d/s .35 per light ,30 for data points,heating sounded a little pricey considering plumbers usually supply most of the gear ,i.e room stats motorised valves .etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

If they want an extra zone , there will be an extra channel wanted in the clock. The electrican will be supplying the clock & the stat

Advertisement