Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shellac - I want to get the home kit - can anyone help

Options
  • 29-03-2011 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Please can someone help me. I have spent ages looking on line for a Shellac home kit that isnt worth €300. I am interested in obtaining the UV lamp, some varnishes and bits and bobs to get me started. It doesnt have to be brand new, just a good offer.

Id really appreciate if someone could guide me in the right direction

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LittleT

Sorry, a little bit OT, but is it true that you can use pure acetone to remove shellac at home by yourself? I had to have the beautician file down my nails to remove it last time...not pretty :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

You can use acetone to take it off but it's not 'ideal' obviously (though neither is filing it off really...). No idea on the home kits - sorry OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I've never had shellac filed off, and before starting college, (and any holidays i get) I have shellac on my nails religiously. You soak them in acetone for 10 or so minutes and use an orange wood stick to kind of "scrape" it off?? Scrape might be the wrong word, but push it?

Acetone is how CND (the company that developed it) recommend it be removed. Its astonishing that anybody trained in the product would file them off?

Anyway
    On topic.

I bought the CND lamp, I think it was in or around 285 euro, because it was the one recommended. However, I am kicking myself now. All you need to cure Shellac nails is a UV lamp with 4 9w bulbs. My friend got a pink Edge one at the beauty show and it was about 60 euro. Does the job for her.

When you're buying the products, you're going to need the base coat, the colour(s) and the top coats, and they're pretty expensive. I think I paid about 20 euro for each bottle at the show, I have no idea how much they cost normally, but AFAIK you need to be a professional to order direct from CND (as my college principal does our orders for us).
    You'll need a bottle of "scrubfresh" too.

Basically, all you need to know is the application procedure and the curing time, and its fine!! But - it is expensive to set up. 300 euro (including lamp??) sounds like a very good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 PamDen3

Im also wondering would the UV lamp for Gel nails be the same as the Shellac lamp?

Thanks very much for your responses:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

PamDen3 wrote: »
    Im also wondering would the UV lamp for Gel nails be the same as the Shellac lamp?

Thanks very much for your responses:)
    I think they are, its just the UV you need to "set" them. Theres loads of Ebay here
    I agree with above though that the actual Shellac polish is very expensive and you need a few different layers to build it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

You can use a UV lamp that has a wattage of 36, so basically, a 4 bulb lamp.

A normal UV lamp that has two bulbs wont cure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I'm in the process of getting the opi stuff - same but a different name, a friend of mine has already done so - buying the kit from an american ebay seller, and the UV lamp from china on ebay ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 PamDen3

Can you let me know how you get on with ordering the OPI and how much it cost you, id love to know and i may follow in your footsteps.

Thanks

will do :D I've only ordered one item so far, am waiting to receive it before I order more.... reason I decided on the opi one rather than shellac was the availability of nail polish that's an exact match colour wise, but I had found several sellers selling shellac the same way so that should be easy enough to get either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Do you have any links Tabitharose to the OPi set?

• Advertisement

this is the seller: http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/enchantedbeautyspot/?_trksid=p4340.l2559 but please keep in mind I'm NOT recommending them (yet) as I have ordered but not received my stuff yet - impressive enough feedback though

back again - product arrived nice & quick - I'd ordered the gel sealer which was $21 - the seller put the item value as $5 so I'd say it'd be ok to order over 22 euros of stuff without fear of it getting stopped by customs (can't guarantee that of course) anyways off to order a few more bits :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lud

hi,
    how is it going with your shellac home kit ? I had my nails done last week in a salon and I love it. I'm thinking of getting a home kit myself, €30 is a bit too much to spend every 3 weeks in salon. My only worry is that it is a difficult process to do it myself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 chintickles

I got my whole Shellac nail polish kit on Ebay for half of what it would be here in Ireland. It cost me about 135euro delivered. It doesn't come with the UV lamp so i just bought one for around 30euro on Ebay as well make sure its a 36v lamp as there the best i believe.

I'll include the link for the shop, i've bought loads of polish from this seller over the last year and have never been caught for customs as she includes a much lower value all the time.

http://stores.ebay.ie/Top-nail-shop/CND

Happy Shellac'ing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I've seen some UV lamps on adverts.ie recently so worth checking on there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I was thinking about this over the weekend too. I absolutely love Shellac, I love love love it! I currently have Hot Pop Pink on, after 6 weeks of French. I wonder how safe it is to do it yourself with the UV Lamp.

The girl who does mine is brilliant, so good, they last 3 weeks and the only problems with them that show is just the gap from regrowth, they don't chip.

thanks for the link :)
    is your UV lamp with fan or without?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 chintickles

No mine has no fan and it literally takes about 30 seconds to dry the gel. I know its a very cheap one at 30 euro but it really does the job.

Another thing i tried was putting the CND Shellac Base Coat on then a normal polish ( i used an OPI one ) and then the CND Shellac top coat, dried every layer as you would the Shellac and it turned out the exact same as when i used all CND products. I just sandwiched the normal polish between and it really turned out fine have it on 2 days and no chipping!

oh thats great ! OPI colors are a bit cheaper :) let us know how it behaves after few days. Today my shellac nail chipped quite visibly after one week (done in salon) but I've been doing some bigger housework so I'm surprised it's only one nail ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

OP are you trained in Shellac or are you just giving it a bash?
    It sounds like a great idea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mysay123

I am in the same boat,. been trying to buy shellac nails just red and french colours but on the cnd it says you need to be a professional and i was getting confused with order numbers it seems they sell in bulk. Someone on this thread mentioned OPI? Can that be cured under the uv lamp too with the same effect as shellac? I tried buying shellac colours on ebay but I could only get 3 colours pink and black or something like that. I anyone has bought from a particular seller can you let me know or pm me the name and website of the seller?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Shellac nail gel is sold on amazon by an Irish company and it works out at €9.99 per bottle, which is way cheaper than going to a nail bar or some of the more expensive shellac products on line. I am buying some for my daughter for Christmas, and will invest in a UV lamp as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 xxsilxx

hiya i no you wrote this like last year but i was wondering is the shellac set of that seller on ebay real shellac im really afraid of spending that much money on fakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

xxsilxx wrote: »
    hiya i no you wrote this like last year but i was wondering is the shellac set of that seller on ebay real shellac im really afraid of spending that much money on fakes!

The one on Amazon is the only one I can vouch for, it is a Waterford company importing the product. The companies name is Shellac Nails Ltd. It is genuine and also have a look at the reviews. This product is going into nail bars directly as well as being sold to the general public. It is an amazing little home business story as they are selling all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BN123

Hello,

I am trying to buy a Shellac kit for a Christmas gift however between base coats, top coats and different polish i have no idea what i need to buy a full package, i.e. open on Christmas day and ready to use.

Would anyone like to build me a kit with links to either ebay or amazon?

I've this picked out but surely i need brushes ect?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281013352158&actionType=singinformore#ht_9521wt_1217

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

BN that set looks lovely, has any one used that brand Paris Glow?
    Is it the equivalent to CND Shellac or a cheap copy?

Is €75(& €10 for delivery) a good price for 36v lamp, base coat, top coat & 8 polishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

The one on Amazon is the only one I can vouch for, it is a Waterford company importing the product. The companies name is Shellac Nails Ltd. It is genuine and also have a look at the reviews. This product is going into nail bars directly as well as being sold to the general public. It is an amazing little home business story as they are selling all over the world.

Hi Royal, I can't find that company on Amazon. I've tried loads of times now. I'm obviously doin something wrong.
    Would you have a link? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

I've tried the sensational kits on sale in some chemists for 90 euro and you can

http://sensationailpolish.eu/gb/
    buy the varnish in stores

A girl in mccabes demonstrated in store for me and it was very easy to use and lasted 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Hi ladies, just got my first shellac last week and am totally hooked already! I was thinking of getting a home kit because really enjoy going my nails myself but hardly ever do because of chipping.
    Then i saw a groupon yesterday for a gel nail kit.
    Its here http://www.millennium-nails.com/groupon
    Sorry for link i am on luas :) just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on this, is gel fairly similar to shellac? Has anyone tried this brand, which i can't make out from the site?
    My feeling is, at 89€ its nearly worth to get the lamp and give it a try...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Feu wrote: »
    Hi ladies, just got my first shellac last week and am totally hooked already! I was thinking of getting a home kit because really enjoy going my nails myself but hardly ever do because of chipping.
    Then i saw a groupon yesterday for a gel nail kit.
    Its here http://www.millennium-nails.com/groupon
    Sorry for link i am on luas :) just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on this, is gel fairly similar to shellac? Has anyone tried this brand, which i can't make out from the site?
    My feeling is, at 89€ its nearly worth to get the lamp and give it a try...

That is not a good deal i got my girlfriend a full setup for around 100 for the uv lamp and real shellac the other one's don't last as long as my mam got her's done in a place and it was gellac and said it was rubbish. The one i got for her lasts weeks with out chipping ill put up links later on.

Advertisement