Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive, hike, drive, hike

Options
  • 29-03-2011 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm currently planning a trip where I'll be driving around several US National Parks, taking in short and medium hikes as I go. Last year, I went to the UK on a similar trip, and wore my hiking boots for the duration, drive and all. It wasn't too bad, but any drive over 5 hours in length absolutely killed my feet (I didn't have cruise control, so had to keep my foot "hovering" on the accelerator for the duration) so I'm looking for a better solution for my US trip.

My current thinking is that any hiking boot (or shoe) that does its job properly is going to be heavy and less yielding than a normal shoe and so not suitable for 5 hours driving, but I'd rather not have to bring 2 pairs of shoes with me, one for driving and one for hiking, especially as in some parks, the hike might only be half an hour.

Is there anything light that would still serve its purpose and be suitable for let's face it easy to maybe moderate hikes, I'm not going rock climbing or canyoneering or anything. I was looking at trail shoes but not sure if they'd be suitable or how heavy they get.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I wear trail shoes depending on my planned hike / weather. Ive done a small bit of trail walking in the states and I didnt bother bringing my boots with me.

I have 4 pairs of Merrells.

2 pairs of these: http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/15379M/0/Mens/Chameleon-Wrap-Slam?dimensions=0

1 pair of these: http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/22517M/0/Mens/Chameleon3-Axiom-Sport?dimensions=0

1 pair of these: http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/15609M/0/Mens/Chameleon-Evo-GORE-TEX?dimensions=0

I dont wear the last pair too often as my feet get very warm/sweaty because of the gore-tex lining. They are usually a winter pair I wear.

I dont have other runners as I wear these every day in rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Thanks Mitch. So you wear these shoes every day? They're comfortable enough for sitting around watching tv, driving to the shops, walking up hills, crossing streams?

I love my hiking boots, but I for damn sure know when I'm wearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

corblimey wrote: »
    Thanks Mitch. So you wear these shoes every day? They're comfortable enough for sitting around watching tv, driving to the shops, walking up hills, crossing streams?

I love my hiking boots, but I for damn sure know when I'm wearing them.

Yeah, I wear them everyday when Im not in work. They are super comfy. I wouldnt rush out and buy the gore-tex one though. I feel they are a bit limited for summer use. The first 2 pairs I linked too are my favourites. I have them in the green and "dusty olive" or grey as i like to call it.

In everyday life they are great, for hiking I sometimes use a pair of ankle gaitors with them. Crossing streams is ok, I dont tent to plow through them when I wearing my boots either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Drive in your socks ffs i do it all the time!! Otherwise bring a pair of slippers, they'll pack up small and will only cost a fiver and are great to wear around after a long hike anyway. But would prob be safer driving in your socks cos the slippers might come off / get caught under pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

just drive in socks or spend an extra few quid to ensure the car has CC, its more standard in the US i imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

a148pro wrote: »
    Drive in your socks ffs i do it all the time!!

I did for the last part of my drive last year, but never occurred to me to do it full time. I suppose if the socks aren't shiny and liable to slip off the pedal, you'd be safe enough. It'd still be handy not to have to tie/untie my boots every couple of hours, but it's defo an option. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Chris O Donoghue

Maybe consider a pair of slip-on Converse or Vans or the imitation ones in Penneys. I wear those going to and from climbing days in Killarney, they're nice and light and easy to get on and off.

Advertisement