Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer randomly shuts down

• 29-03-2011 1:02pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    I turned on my computer at 12:30 and its shut its self off twice since then,any idea what the problem could be?any advice on what I should do?

Any help appreciated
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Tefral

Hi Guys
    I turned on my computer at 12:30 and its shut its self off twice since then,any idea what the problem could be?any advice on what I should do?

Any help appreciated
    Kevin

Its it a Laptop? If it is it could be overheating...

This could happen also if its a desktop.

Have you ran the usual virus checks etc?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its a desktop,I'm running a virus check now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You might open the case and see if the CPU fan or the power supply fans are bunged up with fluff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

Sounds like it could be overheating.
    Can you install this:
    http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
    Post the results here if you don't know how to interpret them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

yeh sounds like over heating

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Untitled-3.jpg

what do ye think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

Doesn't look too bad, check the system and application logs in event viewer for any info @ around the time when the PC switched off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

The CPU is idle ... you'll need to do something that's CPU intensive and keep an eye on the temperatures of Core #0-3.
    The temperatures will increase ... I've seen it in the past where the temperature will heat shoot up as soon as the CPU is under load. When the temperature is high for a prolonged period of time (1 min) the CPU has a protection circuit that shuts down the PC immediately to protect it from damage.

When you have load on the CPU, send on another screen shot.

I found this error In the applications log and they match with the time my pc shut down at:

"Log Name: Application
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
    Date: 3/29/2011 4:17:59 PM
    Event ID: 10
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: kevin-PC
    Description:
    Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"&gt;
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WMI" Guid="{1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}" EventSourceName="WinMgmt" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">10</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-29T15:17:59.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>81715</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>kevin-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>//./root/CIMV2</Data>
    <Data>SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99</Data>
    <Data>0x80041003</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>"

and this one in the system log:

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-SharedAccess_NAT
    Date: 3/29/2011 12:33:46 PM
    Event ID: 31004
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: kevin-PC
    Description:
    The DNS proxy agent was unable to allocate 0 bytes of memory. This may indicate that the system is low on virtual memory, or that the memory manager has encountered an internal error.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"&gt;
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-SharedAccess_NAT" Guid="{A6F32731-9A38-4159-A220-3D9B7FC5FE5D}" EventSourceName="ipnathlp" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">31004</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-29T11:33:46.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>332348</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>kevin-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData Name="IP_DNS_PROXY_LOG_ALLOCATION_FAILED">
    <Data Name="param1">0</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Dunno if there any help tbh :o

The CPU is idle ... you'll need to do something that's CPU intensive and keep an eye on the temperatures of Core #0-3.
    The temperatures will increase ... I've seen it in the past where the temperature will heat shoot up as soon as the CPU is under load. When the temperature is high for a prolonged period of time (1 min) the CPU has a protection circuit that shuts down the PC immediately to protect it from damage.

When you have load on the CPU, send on another screen shot.

Take another snapshot when I start it up again is it?I started it back up at 4 having been away from it for about 2hrs and I went to make tea and when I came back it was shut down again,never happened before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dbentham

OP, does the computer shut down 'gracefully' in a matter of a few seconds (as if you pressed the power button in Windows) OR does it just 'cut-out' suddenly without warning?

If it's the first scenario, I'd definitely check for viruses / malware and to ensure that the OS is fully 'patched'.

If it's the second scenario, it sounds more like a hardware issue to be honest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Core 0 looks a little hot on the low end reading, my Q8200 shows 45 deg at the low end

dbentham wrote: »
    OP, does the computer shut down 'gracefully' in a matter of a few seconds (as if you pressed the power button in Windows) OR does it just 'cut-out' suddenly without warning?

If it's the first scenario, I'd definitely check for viruses / malware and to ensure that the OS is fully 'patched'.

If it's the second scenario, it sounds more like a hardware issue to be honest.

it cuts out without warning but It hasn't cut out since about 4:15 and I've turned it on twice since then.

A further problem has occured,I started it up went away for a few seconds and it was off when I came back,started it up a 2nd time and it booted up,then turned itself off,I then started it up a third time same thing happend, started it up a 4th time running grand :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

A further problem has occured,I started it up went away for a few seconds and it was off when I came back,started it up a 2nd time and it booted up,then turned itself off,I then started it up a third time same thing happend, started it up a 4th time running grand :confused:

I had a similar problem with a machine where the Power Supply failed completely shortly after exhibiting the same symptoms as yours.

Check your power supply.

FSL wrote: »
    I had a similar problem with a machine where the Power Supply failed completely shortly after exhibiting the same symptoms as yours.

Check your power supply.

I'm beginning to think the same thing,how would I go about checking it?

Wells its been happening for near 2months now and now sometimes It wont power up I have to keep pushing the power button until it does,power supply problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Sounds like the PSU alright....had a similar problem myself!

Pacifico wrote: »
    Sounds like the PSU alright....had a similar problem myself!

ah crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Ditto on the PSU issue, my PC started just turning off like you described... took me a while to diagnose it but it was deffo the PSU.

If its a desktop it should be no biggie to replace, if its a lappy then it might be more of a shop or manufacturer job.

• Advertisement

fionny wrote: »
    Ditto on the PSU issue, my PC started just turning off like you described... took me a while to diagnose it but it was deffo the PSU.

If its a desktop it should be no biggie to replace, if its a lappy then it might be more of a shop or manufacturer job.

Ya its a desktop.its an 800 watt one I think,any recommendations for a new one?

Depends whether you want a good one or a cheap one?

800w is hefty size what the specs of your computer?

Depends whether you want a good one or a cheap one?

800w is hefty size what the specs of your computer?

gtx 260
    4 gigs ram
    q9330 quadcore @3.15ghz
    vista 32bit

Power hungry enough then! Nice rig I suppose with that hardware you dont mind getting a decent PSU, maybe this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Silent-Power-Supply/dp/B003RUBV76/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1306073942&sr=1-2

Make sure you select to buy it from Amazon directly that way youll get their customer service and free postage.

Review here: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/cases-cooling/power-supplies/coolermaster-silent-pro-gold-800w-717076/review

Edit: while your at it get a copy of windows 7 for yourself :P

Power hungry enough then! Nice rig I suppose with that hardware you dont mind getting a decent PSU, maybe this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Silent-Power-Supply/dp/B003RUBV76/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1306073942&sr=1-2

Make sure you select to buy it from Amazon directly that way youll get their customer service and free postage.

Review here: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/cases-cooling/power-supplies/coolermaster-silent-pro-gold-800w-717076/review

Edit: while your at it get a copy of windows 7 for yourself :P

I will do ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

this one on adverts would do the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 FlowersByRay

could be over heating?

could be over heating?

I downloaded a program to monitor the core temps I must look at it again,If it was overheating,how would I sort it?

I seriously seriously doubt its overheating with the symptoms you describe. If it was overheating it would first slow and fans would speed up etc... the erratic sudden power offs and sometimes refusal to turn on points strongly to PSU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 FlowersByRay

try a program called core temp, i found it when using google ages ago. It works queit well. Anything about 70 is a problem. Is the laptop hot to touch anywhere?

try a program called core temp, i found it when using google ages ago. It works queit well. Anything about 70 is a problem. Is the laptop hot to touch anywhere?

70 for a GPU isnt that bad to be honest in a desktop. I have 2 in SLI and they regularly idle at 60c and under load go to 70 to 75 some times higher.

Thats the program I downloaded and all 4 core temps were between 45-48, I must run it again and its a desktop that I have :).

Advertisement