Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PaddyPower live betting knows before you ?

• 29-03-2011 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Just watching the cricket Nzealand v Sri Lanka on sky sports on the telly (not stream) and also have the live betting open on the comp on paddypower.com

Just noticed now that the betting was suspended on the site just as the bowler was running up and what do you know a wicket fell... How can this be are they allowed to do this ?

They are watching the event ahead of what is suppose to be live on Sky Sports ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

There are different delays between all different sources/channels for "live" pictures of sporting events. Anyone who bets in running should know this basic fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Satellite delay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Joekers wrote: »
    They are watching the event ahead of what is suppose to be live on Sky Sports ?
    *facepalm*

They pay for the fastest feed.
    There is nothing stopping anybody else paying for this either
    CiaranC wrote: »
    There are different delays between all different sources/channels for "live" pictures of sporting events. Anyone who bets in running should know this basic fact.

Anyone who has both satelite digital television and regular cable television prob knows it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Very common for cricket.

For the 2009 Ashes, I watched every ball on the TV with the sound down while listening to TMS on the radio as it was 4-5 seconds ahead of the the digital TV feed.

It's not "common". It's always there. Totally unavoidable.

Satelite television as a 4 or 5 second delay.
    Cable is slightly less of a delay
    Terrestrial broadcasts (antenna tv or radio) has the lowest delay, other than
    SIS type feed which is what the bookies use

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Of note there are 2 televisions in my house in 2 rooms - theres even a delay between them of about 1 1/2 to 2 secs

Digital in the living room
    Cable in the kitchen

Mine was the same. I remember once when a big ireland game was on, I heard a cheer from the neighbours backgarden. A sec seconds later ireland scored, they had the rabbit ears out in the garden, I was on digital. Sort of ruined the moment tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Mellor wrote: »
    It's not "common". It's always there. Totally unavoidable.

I reckon i watched as much live cricket on TV as anybody else in the world in 2009 so learned what pictures to trust. There were plenty of games (county cricket matches mainly) where the Sky feed was bang on with Betfair moves. Anything outside of England (and plenty in England) could not be trusted.

I'm sure the pictures were behind 'real life' but as long as nobody outside the ground has a quicker feed, it makes no difference for gambling.

It's quite an interesting topic - tennis officials had to ban laptops from the crowd at events a few years ago as people were sitting in the crowd betting on 'to win the next point' markets as watching live gave them a time advantage.

I'm sure the pictures were behind 'real life' but as long as nobody outside the ground has a quicker feed, it makes no difference for gambling.

flipsflops, you don't seam to understand.
    All television is at a delay. It's just a simple fact of satelite television, and lesser so to cable and Terrestrial.
    Some coming from india or where might be even worse. But thinking nobody had a quicker feed is wrong. The fact that paddy power had the feed first means it exists. This is a private company which caters to bookies and punters only really.

For example in horse racing, SIS is the fastest, it isn't cheap so the guys with this feed are the guys with big bucks, enough to move markets.

Basically, from slowest to fastest
    Sky+ < Sky digital < NTL Cable < Aerial

So if you have the option to switch over to cable or aerial for in-running bettign you should be it if you are serious about it.

As for laptops are the court, i wonder how competive the 3G connection is with iPhones. Betfair, paddypower etc all have apps now I imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

They could even have someone in the stadium itself - No delay.

• Advertisement

Powers seem to do this, they bet on LOI football in running which is not on TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Except for the delay in the work needed to update the algorithm/prices and for that information to be transmitted after something has happen during the game. Even if that process takes a few seconds it's still not deemed live.

Even light takes time to travel so in effect nothing is seen live :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

CiaranC wrote: »
    Powers seem to do this, they bet on LOI football in running which is not on TV

There is an external company which provides this service to all bookies that want it - they employ "scouts" to watch games with a blackberry or whatever and send real time updates of the action. Costs about 100e per game for the bookie to buy.

radharc wrote: »
    There is an external company which provides this service to all bookies that want it - they employ "scouts" to watch games with a blackberry or whatever and send real time updates of the action. Costs about 100e per game for the bookie to buy.

Dont suppose you could PM me their name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

Done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Can someone tell me when they put a bet on paddy power live bet does it confirm your bet straight away using fast bet? Small sums (e.g. a few cent on an even money shot or something). It used to for me but then it changed (i'm wondering if they altered my account for live betting or was the site itself simply altered) and now it takes an eternity for me to get a bet on in running - the prices often change and the bet doesn't even go on.

Cheers to anyone who tests this for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

had a tenner on over 1.5 goals at evens in running. bet went thru straight away as it normally does unless i stake over 100 it seems

ianburke wrote: »
    had a tenner on over 1.5 goals at evens in running. bet went thru straight away as it normally does unless i stake over 100 it seems

Cheers. I figured they changed my account alright. Second time they've done it ¬_¬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

jive wrote: »
    Cheers. I figured they changed my account alright. Second time they've done it ¬_¬

Sounds like a dubious enough practice to deliberatley slow down the time it takes you to put on a bet. Why not just limit you or close you down? You sure it's not just your computer/connection? I've had delays in placing bets but I've always put it down to technical problems at my end.

Collie D wrote: »
    Sounds like a dubious enough practice to deliberatley slow down the time it takes you to put on a bet. Why not just limit you or close you down? You sure it's not just your computer/connection? I've had delays in placing bets but I've always put it down to technical problems at my end.

Nah usually when the bet returns quite a bit of money it will pop up "confirming bet....". But when you are only putting on small stakes and using fast bet it will go on instantaneously. Mine comes up "confirming bet..." in both instances. Tried a friends account on the same connection/laptop so it ain't a technical problem anyway. It's not the biggest problem in the world but if the price changes/betting gets suspended I have to keep trying to get the bet on as it takes ~ 20 seconds to confirm, which can be a bit of a pain in the arse!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 xinbai123

jive wrote: »
    Nah usually when the bet returns quite a bit of money it will pop up "confirming bet....". But when you are only putting on small stakes and using fast bet it will go on instantaneously. Mine comes up "confirming bet..." in both instances. Tried a friends account on the same connection/laptop so it ain't a technical problem anyway. It's not the biggest problem in the world but if the price changes/betting gets suspended I have to keep trying to get the bet on as it takes ~ 20 seconds to confirm, which can be a bit of a pain in the arse!

Have you get rid of the problem yet? I turned to have the same "confirming bets" problem since February this year.

paddy power are a disgrace lately...site is very slow and it only seems to be getting worse....site was down for a full hour yesterday from 3.30 to 4.30.....then today was a disgrace..during the derby betting in running i clicked on carlton house to back him and "event has started" kept coming up....so i clicked on every other horse and the same thing..for the whole of the race.....cud not get the bet on....then i tried fast bet and entered 50 on carlton house to win.....no bets were possible to go thru on a big massive race.....absolute disgrace...close my account just there..gone to the dogs imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

ianburke wrote: »
    paddy power are a disgrace lately...site is very slow and it only seems to be getting worse....site was down for a full hour yesterday from 3.30 to 4.30.....then today was a disgrace..during the derby betting in running i clicked on carlton house to back him and "event has started" kept coming up....so i clicked on every other horse and the same thing..for the whole of the race.....cud not get the bet on....then i tried fast bet and entered 50 on carlton house to win.....no bets were possible to go thru on a big massive race.....absolute disgrace...close my account just there..gone to the dogs imo
    I placed a bet no problem in running albeit a loser. Sounds like local/user issues.

they apologised to me on live chat and said that they were experiencing these problems all day and that they were working on it. she also apologised for the site crashing the day before also and said that their technical team were hoping to fix the issue. until then i advise people to bet elsewhere, especially if they bet in running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 geoponti

They are great for their in running.price not as good as bet365 but overlall its easy to use. One thing that is shocking is their live in running horse betting. If you get the chance just watch the odds in running for a couple of races.....they take the odds down way too soon...4 furlongs out on most mile races...theres no point in offering odds in running at all as the punter is at a total disadvantage..apart from that they are good to bet in running.

Advertisement