Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sorting a weed infested lawn

Options
  • 29-03-2011 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi everyone,

Now that I'm redundant and ironically on gardening leave, I'm looking for some advice on sorting out a lawn that is crawling with weeds.

I've done much googling and keep getting conflicting information on the best course of action.

As you can see below there are a lot of large weeds which will need to be simply dug up;

IMG_0114.jpg

then at closer inspection you can see that the weed to grass ratio is probably about 50:50

IMG_0124.jpg

I have been looking at lawn products like evergreen complete 4in1, which claim to kill weeds and provide a full lawn, while this seems like a great idea, will that actually work?

Im not shy of a bit of labour so what i am thinking is that i might need to dig up all the grass/weeds, weedkill everywhere, lay down some fertiliser and sow some new grass seed?

Any advice on what to do? I'd rather do it right the first time.
    (please excuse any gardening terms i have/get wrong, its not something i do much of)

Thanks,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

use feed and weed ever green is grand also mix in some grass seed. Had a much larger lawn was in as bad as a state as yours, there is no need to dig it up if it is otherwise an even lawn. you need to do this treatment before the end of april and repeat late september. Follow the instructions on the pack re rain other wise you could end p burning the lawn or having the feed washed away. Most lawns contain an amount of weeds but a good feed, weed amd moss killer applied each year will help keep them back. If there is moss in your lawn that will turn yellow/brown when it is killed off try and rake it out and put extra seed there.

Advertisement