Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current charges for spaying/neutering

• 29-03-2011 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi all,
    We have a seven month old Bichon who is in her first heat. Going to have her spayed when it's over - possibly a month or two after is the best time as advised by our vet's office. I've done a search here and haven't seen anything about the costs of spaying in over a year. Just wondering about costs as our vet's office advised it would cost €175 which I think is a bit high. Just wondering and researching now that I know we'll have to organize that for her in the not too distant future. We're in Co. Kildare so any feedback from this general area would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hi OP, I paid €120 for female Yorkie and €110 for male Yorkie.

Recently been quoted €85 for female maltese in Galway. Shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Hi OP,
    I paid 110 euro to get my bitch spayed last year.
    She's a collie cross so a medium size dog.
    Got it done in county galway.
    Good luck:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I would definitely go for a vet I trust rather than one that is cheap for a spay. It's a much bigger operation than in males and you need to make sure it's done properly and you have access to proper follow-up care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

if have a medical card and/or a benifit you can get it done for €20 with dogs trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Price isn't everything- I'd want to ensure gas anaesthetic is used and I'd prefer that they have good nurses to monitor the anaesthetic and recovery and that there is emergency out of hours cover available postop if there are any complications.
    I'd be a bit wary of anything less than €100 as I'd wonder what sort of facilities/staff the clinic has.
    And yes, Dogs Trust does run a scheme where you can get your dog neutered for €20 (Dogs Trust pays the rest) but not all clinics will have vouchers left for that (they go pretty quickly). To clarify on who qualifes for Dogs Trust- it has nothing to do with medical card, but it does depend what type of social welfare payment you're on as not all of them are eligible for the scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Thanks all for the replies so far. I totally agree to only go to a vet we trust - which is why we picked the one we're with. I just thought I'd ask around about the cost as it sounded a bit steep, but I know she'll be looked after, given general anaesthetic, aftercare, etc. But since we're in an area with many vets to choose from with good reps, I figured I'd post here in case anyone would recommend someone else for less money, as every penny counts these days. That said, we wouldn't risk the health of our dog for the sake of a few euros either, iykwim. I will shop around and make a list of prices - can I post things like that here? Will have to read the rules/not sure of the rules - for example can we list vets in the area and what they charge for spaying/other info on this site or is that not allowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Just a quick post on cost - when you are ringing around, be sure to ask what the cost includes. Some practices have a low base price but charge more for things that are included in higher prices elsewhere. So you could be quoted (for example) €120 by one vet practice but once you include things like antibiotics, buster collars etc. it could end up being €170, while another could quote you €160 and include everything in that price.

Are you in North or South Kildare? North Kildare (Maynooth, Celbridge etc.) tend to have prices around the Dublin price mark, where as those in South Kildare are much closer to the "country" (for want of a better word :rolleyes:) prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Well the 110euro i posted in my earlier post covered everything and was performed by an excellent vet.
    Aftercare was excellent and imo the price quoted to the OP is expensive.
    I wouldn't have put my dog at any risk as was implied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

we paid 100 euro each for our dogs ,but were allowed to pay it off in installments prior to the operation. got them all done together too.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Thanks all. Have been doing my homework and called around and have found that my second choice for a vet (in that it's slightly further away from us) does the spaying for a dog that is 6 to 10 kilos for €110 and it includes the general anaesthetic, pain killers going home, 48 hour check up and removal of stitches on day 10, and a collar if required. I know our own vet is great too, but to €65 is great. FYI - these are prices in south kildare (kildare town, newbridge and surrounds). Not planning to get her done until late June or July though. Thanks for all the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

my friend just got his minature jack russell done in wicklow and it cost him €150. just to put that out there

Advertisement