Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What constitutes "abuse" of non-members in AH?

Options
  • 29-03-2011 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭

Started this thread as what I want to say has little to do with the OP of the 'ministry of truth' and as this issue is being discussed elsewhere, would be nice if those without mod-forum access had somewhere where they too could have their say on just what they feel constitutes "abuse" of non-members.
    DeVore wrote: »
    I don't often agree with Dudess (smile.gif) but she nailed it there during the thread by saying it stays open if people stay civil. It gets closed if they dont.

On just this point, as I think it is a big one ..

I have to disagree with you on this DeV. That user had/has an issue with men making (what she feels are unnecessary) sexual comments about women in threads in AH when the subject is a 'serious' one. That post had/has nothing to do with any desire for civility. That is unless you/Dudess feel that users making comments about whether they "would" or not is somehow not "civil".

There is quite a lot of "This is NOT After Hours" levelled at users around Boards.ie and (at times) that's fine, but I think it's time we heard more of: "This IS After Hours!" from it's moderators. I am sick of users coming on to AH, that have little of no concept of what the forum is about, stamping their feet when comments are made because they wouldn't be acceptable elsewhere on Boards. They should stay away if they don't like the content. I find what's posted in tLL to be wholly objectionable, so I stay from the place (bar once, you live you learn).

Yes I know it's 'general topic' / 'current affairs' forum (perhaps there is an argument for such a forum?) but AH is far far more than just a gerneral topic forum. It's tone and spirit was long since decided upon. That's why Nein11 and the like came into being, as their humour wasn't welcome in AH, you don't see those users running to Feedback demanding to tell dead baby jokes there. If users don't like the humour in AH, then on you go.

I am with you 100% when it comes to the abuse issue Dev, AH/Boards has a reputation for abusing celebrities and public figures and it would nice if as a community, we could change that. While I agree that we shouldn't allow members/non-members to be abused on Boards, we must also accept that the two can never be precisely the same, they just can't, at least not in ALL situations.

For instance, I don't think users saying that they are surprised Lyle Lovett gets such all the hot chicks that he does is abusive (not very nice perhaps). However, if some guy posted his pic in the KYN thread and a comment was then made in AH by a female user, that basically said they were surprised he could get a girlfriend after seeing the photo he posted in Cool Vids - then that I DO see as abuse. So the two (member abuse & non-member abuse) can differ at times. They are not be the same and can never be the same.

The definition of "Abuse" of non-members as I see it has to be just that little bit looser (not much, but just a touch). For example, I had no problem reporting posts on the Glenda Gilson thread and also another abusive post yesterday, which was directed at Brian Cowen, as both very nasty in tone. So I guess what I am saying is that you have to be a little meaner and nasty in what you post, in order for it to be considered "abusive" towards a non-member, than if what you said was directed at another member of Boards. I guess it's comparable to what you would tolerate someone saying about a friend/mate of yours and what you would tolerate them saying about a member of your family.

However, in saying all that - putting a stop to abuse being directed at non-members is one thing, the sanitisation of After Hours (as I am beginning to see it) is another thing entirely.

If a user wants to say that Sarah Carey (for example) has great tits on a thread, so be it. In my opinion (and all this post is just that) there should be no such thing as a thread where you can't have some risqué banter about either a male or female "celeb" when they are the topic of a thread (in AH at least). If you as a user (speaking of all users) don't like that, then find another forum, Boards.ie is a big place.

Of course there are obvious exceptions, condolences threads, tragedies etc etc but we have moderators for a reason and they are more than capable of deciding just when it is and isn't appropriate to have AH style comments on threads. Threads like the Sarah Carey thread was NOT one of those threads in my view. There was NOTHING about that thread that should have made it exempt from AH banter.

Most AH regulars would know that the subject of Autism is something that I take very seriously and there have been one or two debates in AH on that very topic. Do I think the mods should suddenly protect that thread for AH 'style' comments, just because some people want a serious debate? Of course I don't, it's After Hours. If I want a serious debate on children with autism, I know where the Parenting forum is.

Recently there have been advances in the diagnosis of Autism and it is quite likely that soon the number one diagnostic tool of the condition will be MRI Bran Scans. Founder of The Autism Trust in the UK (Polly Tommey) is someone that campaigns for increased awareness of autism and has met with Tony Blair, Gordon Brown etc in relation to getting funding in an effort to further research in this area of diagnosis. Now .. lets say I want to discuss that issue and so post the following video in an AH debate on autism:

In the above video, there are quite clearly two things that jump out at you and are bound to get comment in a forum like AH. Should I report those posts and complain to Mods that I wish to have a serious debate here and Polly's boobs are irrelevant to the topic?? No, of course I shouldn't, it's AH - her boobs (or David Beckam's arse) are very much relevant. It'll be a very sad day when a little sexual banter and innuendo are no longer welcome on AH and from what I can see, that day seems to be getting closer and closer quite frankly.

TL;DR

After Hours is very popular, receives the traffic and it does so because of the way it has been modded down the years. Some excellent mods have put in an extraordinary amount of time (Bollocko & Javaboy particularly in more recent years, the rest all have lovely bottoms too). Mods that went out of their way to engage with it's core regulars and newbies alike and all in an effort to make sure the tone and spirit of AH remained. Losing the abuse on After Hours is one thing, sanitising the forum to within an inch of its life, just because there are a few users who don't get the forum, is quite something else.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Even more TL;DR? Leave it to the mods and the community. Don't try to micromanage.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I may have a lovely bottom, but it is not you place to say it. That could be seen as abuse by some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Started this thread as what I want to say has little to do with the OP of the 'ministry of truth'
    Could you elaborate?
    I have to disagree with you on this DeV. That user had/has an issue with men making (what she feels are unnecessary) sexual comments about women in threads in AH when the subject is a 'serious' one. That post had/has nothing to do with any desire for civility. That is unless you/Dudess feel that users making comments about whether they "would" or not is somehow not "civil".
    You misunderstand. What I meant on that Sarah Carey thread was a reference to the Alison O'Riordan thread and one on another female journalist (her name escapes me) where some people felt the irrepressible need to make vicious comments about their looks. Otherwise though, criticism of their writings and the message they put out there was totally justified.

I have never had an issue with good-humoured bawdiness and innuendo and would actually wholeheartedly endorse it - can't see how you would infer I wouldn't... In fact I've often said I think "sexist" jokes are funny and mods shouldn't, in my opinion, take notice of them and should instead focus on actual vitriol.
    I find what's posted in tLL to be wholly objectionable, so I stay from the place (bar once, you live you learn).
    What's objectionable about posts on the Ladies' Lounge, apart from your preconceived notions of it? If you read the threads you won't find anti-men comments on them - you'll find some guys barging in looking for evidence of man-hating where there isn't any though.
    AH is far far more than just a gerneral topic forum. It's tone and spirit was long since decided upon. That's why Nein11 and the like came into being, as their humour wasn't welcome in AH, you don't see those users running to Feedback demanding to tell dead baby jokes there. If users don't like the humour in AH, then on you go.
    I distinctly remember you getting very irate about some AH humour...
    In the above video, there are quite clearly two things that jump out at you and are bound to get comment in a forum like AH. Should I report those posts and complain to Mods that I wish to have a serious debate here and Polly's boobs are irrelevant to the topic?? No, of course I shouldn't, it's AH - her boobs (or David Beckam's arse) are very much relevant. It'll be a very sad day when a little sexual banter and innuendo are no longer welcome on AH and from what I can see, that day seems to be getting closer and closer quite frankly.
    It's not abusive of course - not in the least. And if her baps are out, well yeah, they're probably out to be commented on. But there was a Wakefield thread and it was serious in tone (it read more like a Humanities thread, there was that little messing) and there was mention of Jenny McCarthy, so someone mentioned her do-ability. It wasn't even part of the natural flow of the thread - it was just... said. And it stuck out like a sore thumb. And no, it wasn't abusive or offensive or deserving of reprimand - but it was annoying, and looked idiotic. Appearance doesn't ALWAYS have to be commented on.
    But anyway, that wasn't what I meant by my comment on the Sarah Carey thread - I guess I should have been clearer. I meant actual abuse.

Way to grind an axe by singling out a member and a forum though - super-duper noble of you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Outlawpete.ie now youre managin.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"What constitutes "abuse" of non-members in AH?" is a very good question and something that is touched on in the charter but not specifically.
    There is the "Don't be a dick" rule and the mods' discretion, which reflects the opinion of the regular Joe Soap in my opinion.
    But the mods also have to weigh in the repercussions that could come should someone choose to take offence from reading boards posts.

Many times AH is likened to a pub, chatting to the lads.
    I don't really agree with this simile as it's not really true. The others aren't your real friends, they don't always agree and the people you talk about can actually hear you.

It's one thing to start a IRL conversation with friends about the stupidity of this and that celebrity in a pub in town and another to start a thread on it in AH.
    To start a thread on someone is more like a group of lads shouting at someone across the street. You can either shout "You rock!" or "You suck!" but either way I'm sure it can be a bit unnerving to be on the receiving end.

m2c and I'm open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I just saw the sexiest woman thread was closed because of "abuse" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Silly.

Why the **** was the "Ireland's sexiest women" thread closed? Were there really malicious things posted about people's looks? And if so, could they not just be deleted?

Looks like a point is being made... I predict that thread will be reopened... ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I just saw the sexiest woman thread was closed because of "abuse" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Silly.
    ...or to make "a point" that it's silly.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

How mature of you AC - that is an example of both modding and trolling (to invoke a sh1t-storm). Trollerating if you will. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

No, AC is right that is the road we are heading down.

• Advertisement

You better close down these current threads too while you're at it. Just in case like.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056223265 and this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056215858 and this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056219701 and sure this one's anti American. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056222839 Well they are all loud ignorant pigs, or did I miss something?
    How mature of you AC - that is an example of both modding and trolling (to invoke a sh1t-storm). Trollerating if you will. :pac:
    Or its an example of some people getting increasingly frustrated in said role. I can well understand that TBH.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    No, AC is right that is the road we are heading down.
    Based on what? I've already said OutlawPete got the wrong end of the stick.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dudess wrote: »
    Why the **** was the "Ireland's sexiest women" thread closed? Were there really malicious things posted about people's looks? And if so, could they not just be deleted?

Looks like a point is being made... I predict that thread will be reopened... ;)

Some* of the posts contain comments that we are supposed to act on as they are degrading. Degrading posts are considered to be in breech of the site civility rule. I don't fancy reading through the whole thread again just to delete all the posts that are in breech. I'm also not sure if commenting on someone's looks is considered to be in breech of the civility rule, based on what we've been told I'm pretty sure it is but I'm not 100%.

*I've read the whole thread just not in one go, I read it as it got bumped, so I can't say exactly how many.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Wibbs wrote: »
    You better close down these current threads too while you're at it. Just in case like.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056223265 and this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056215858 and this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056219701 and sure this one's anti American. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056222839 Well they are all loud ignorant pigs, or did I miss something?

Or its an example of some people getting increasingly frustrated in said role. I can well understand that TBH.

Fionnuala buys a bank - I don't see anything in breech of the civility rule in there.
    American thread - I don't think anti-american posts or posts like that are in breech either. Going what I've seen and been told so far I'd say no. I could be mis-taken though.
    The other two, haven't read them and I don't fancy trawling through threads with a couple of hundred posts in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Fionnuala buys a bank - I don't see anything in breech of the civility rule in there.
    American thread - I don't think anti-american posts or posts like that are in breech either. Going what I've seen and been told so far I'd say no. I could be mis-taken though.
    The other two, haven't read them and I don't fancy trawling through threads with a couple of hundred posts in them.

Is it against the rules to say that Enda Kenny looks like he was victimised in school for having a silly haircut & carrying his lunch in a My Little Pony lunchbox and that now he's a bit of a baby man?

Is it against the rules to say that Enda Kenny looks like he was victimised in school for having a silly haircut & carrying his lunch in a My Little Pony lunchbox and that now he's a bit of a baby man?

No idea, to be honest. I'd say no but maybe a question for the admins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 AnonoMouse

Feedback in real-time?

This place is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Some* of the posts contain comments that we are supposed to act on as they are degrading. Degrading posts are considered to be in breech of the site civility rule. I don't fancy reading through the whole thread again just to delete all the posts that are in breech. I'm also not sure if commenting on someone's looks is considered to be in breech of the civility rule, based on what we've been told I'm pretty sure it is but I'm not 100%.

*I've read the whole thread just not in one go, I read it as it got bumped, so I can't say exactly how many.

Did you taken this upon yourself or did somebody complain?

If somebody complained then wouldn't the thing to do to be to target exactly what they were complaining about?

Nodin wrote: »
    Did you taken this upon yourself or did somebody complain?

If somebody complained then wouldn't the thing to do to be to target exactly what they were complaining about?

Nobody complained. We don't act on posts just because people complain about them, we act on them based on if they are in breech of the rules. This thread was so it was locked.

Nobody complained. We don't act on posts just because people complain about them, we act on them based on if they are in breech of the rules. This thread was so it was locked.

Theres been no update to the charter in AH and that threads been going since jan 2010. I'd suggest that you're being somewhat overzealous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Im becoming increasingly unsure tbh..

Which of these (if all or any) are in breach of the abuse rule:
    • Ronan Keating is a gimp
    • Larry Murphy is a twisted bastard
    • Brian Cowen has a face like a bucket of burnt lego

See, the problem i have is - they're either all abuse and in breach of the charter or not - yet is it incorrect to say Larry murphy is twisted? Is it irrational to say that brian cowen is not attractive - or is it merely a case of how one makes their point and the language used?

Theres been no update to the charter in AH and that threads been going since jan 2010. I'd suggest that you're being somewhat overzealous.

The thread has been going for over a year but these rules only came into force recently. It wasn't in breech of the rules until recently hence why action has only been taken now.

The charter hasn't been updated so that's why I put a warning on any threads about the abuse rule before I ban anyone for breaking it. Even if it was in the charter I'd probably do the same at least in the mean time.

snyper wrote: »
    Im becoming increasingly unsure tbh..

Which of these (if all or any) are in breach of the abuse rule:
    • Ronan Keating is a gimp
    • Larry Murphy is a twisted bastard
    • Brian Cowen has a face like a bucket of burnt lego

See, the problem i have is - they're either all abuse and in breach of the charter or not - yet is it incorrect to say Larry murphy is twisted? Is it irrational to say that brian cowen is not attractive - or is it merely a case of how one makes their point and the language used?

On all three, based on what I've seen they would be in breach. On the Larry Murphy one, if you just said he was twisted then maybe it wouldn't but I'm not too sure.

The thread has been going for over a year but these rules only came into force recently. ...................................................

What are these "new rules"? Where can they be read?

What are these "new rules"? Where can they be read?

It's the site civility rules. I don't actually know where they are. I think they maybe in the terms and conditions of the site.

It's the site civility rules. I don't actually know where they are. I think they maybe in the terms and conditions of the site.

If you don't know where they are, how do you know what they say or if a thread is in breach of them?

If you don't know where they are, how do you know what they say or if a thread is in breach of them?

Because I've been told what types of post are considered in breach of them.

Sheesh talk about missing the point by a country mile OutlawPete. Maybe rather than getting paranoid and/or defensive you might notice as an extension of your TL;DR I am agreeing with your post. The only reason I didn't thank it was because of your unwarranted(IMHO) dig at a forum I'm involved in.

And where the rhinestone encrusted fúck have I ever suggested it wasn't your, nor anybodies elses place to say what they wanted to say? Seriously OP? Shít I've gotten and still get enough dirty looks from some around here for defending people's right to do just that for many a year. People really have short fúcking memories sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sheesh talk about missing the point by a country mile OutlawPete. Maybe rather than getting paranoid and/or defensive you might notice as an extension of your TL;DR I am agreeing with your post. The only reason I didn't thank it was because of your unwarranted(IMHO) dig at a forum I'm involved in.

And where the rhinestone encrusted fúck have I ever suggested it wasn't your, nor anybodies elses place to say what they wanted to say? Seriously OP? Shít I've gotten and still get enough dirty looks from some around here for defending people's right to do just that for many a year. People really have short fúcking memories sometimes.

Uh oh, someone has pissed off the beast. €3 in the swear-jar please, Wibbs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Back to the original point of what constitutes abuse.
    To me it looks like AH is self regulating with few minor interventions from mods.
    If someone crosses the line, which is a whole lot fuzzier in AH then follow up post certainly put the poster back in their box.
    But that is what AH is for. Serious discussion don't belong there.
    I like the humour and banter AH, I don't was to see that regulated away.

Advertisement