Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle Range Co Clare

Options
  • 29-03-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭

Can anyone confirm is the firing range in Ruan Co Clare an authorised rifle range for centre fire?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

ooh DH - is that range even up and running and do you know what disciplines they shoot? Would be so much better for me petrol and time wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

LB6 wrote: »
    ooh DH - is that range even up and running and do you know what disciplines they shoot? Would be so much better for me petrol and time wise!

I know some guys working with me who are members, they have 223 and 308 and said it is authorised I will get you info & contact details over the next day or so and you can check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

do you have any details for them? contact/ location even a website?

Eo1n8wrd wrote: »
    do you have any details for them? contact/ location even a website?

I will have contact details tomorrow when I go to work

Thanks DH

Pity that they don't do .22lr BR or prone or target pistol 22

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

do u have to be a member to shoot there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Would be really helpful if we finally have somthing west of the Shannon.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Hi folks,

I dont post here much anymore but still Lurk about.
    Anyone got more info on this place? it sounds interesting.
    I did not see anyone post any more information on this thread about the place. (unless its a secret! ;) )

Has this range/club in Ruan got a webpage ?
    I googled and did not find anything.
    (I never heard of Ruan until I read this thread and still
    not sure where it is exactly)

How far would it be from Limerick City if anyone knows?

if you become a member can you bring a guest with you and let them shoot if they bring their own guns and pay range fees?

What distances can you shoot ?

Do they allow supersonic at 50m
    (some places only allow sub-sonic rimfire ammo which is
    no good for someone with a .17hmr)

What kind of membership fees are there ?

I tend to only get to go shooting a few times a year
    these days as I'm only a casual paper target shooter (and Im pathetic when it comes to clays)
    while I am quite happy being a member or midlands as the facilities are awesome and perfect if I ever got the money to scale up and go F-Class shooting I would not mind being a member of a second club/range that may be closer to home if membership prices were not anything scandalous. :)

~B

Limerick city centre to Ruane is 30 miles both ways.
    Thats all I can answer of your questions.:)

Am surprised that they managed to get this off the ground,as it is in the beat of one of the most anti gun ownership Cheif Supers in the 26 counties.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Limerick city centre to Ruane is 30 miles both ways.
    Thats all I can answer of your questions.:)

Am surprised that they managed to get this off the ground,as it is in the beat of one of the most anti gun ownership Cheif Supers in the 26 counties.:(

Cool! that sounds pretty local as things go.

For me I'm a non-driver so relay on my push bike
    for transportation, so up until now I relied on when buddies that were traveling half way up the country

This place if viable may be an incentive for the buddies and myself to become members.
    (ashamedly semi-active)

~B

• Advertisement

Can anyone confirm is the firing range in Ruan Co Clare an authorised rifle range for centre fire?

Well unfortunately it is not, checked it out yesterday and today and since I started the thread I will finish it:(. It is not an authorised range, spoke to some members today it is a clay pigeon shooting ground, 80euro for annual membership. Sorry:o

Well unfortunately it is not, checked it out yesterday and today and since I started the thread I will finish it:(. It is not an authorised range, spoke to some members today it is a clay pigeon shooting ground, 80euro for annual membership. Sorry:o

Ah crap thats a shame! would love something closer.
    For shooting Clays I goto rosemount in Rathkeale where you dont have to be a member to shoot, but thats useless for rifle! since its a grounds rather than range so no point of becoming a member when the first love is for Rifle and the shotgun becomes more of a social thing rather than anything serious.

Fermoy last time I checked would not allow supersonic ammunition to be fired on their range (but that was a few years ago so dont know if that changed or not)

Cant think of any other rifle ranges closer than midlands, there was one down Kerry'ish castle island?? side I thought before, the place in Ballyhoura wont allow guests and was pricey, I dont know what happened to the place near mallow other than there was a bit of chaos at one stage, not sure if that was range/land related or somthing to do with pistol shooting.

~B

"Fermoy last time I checked would not allow supersonic ammunition to be fired on their range (but that was a few years ago so dont know if that changed or not)"

Hasn't changed hon :-)

"Fermoy last time I checked would not allow supersonic ammunition to be fired on their range (but that was a few years ago so dont know if that changed or not)"

Hasn't changed hon :-)

Thats a shame it was one of the first clubs I looked at
    before I got a license for my first gun. Never found
    out what their practical reasons for not allowing supersonic rounds were other than been told NO without explanation.

~B

bullets wrote: »
    Cant think of any other rifle ranges closer than midlands, there was one down Kerry'ish castle island?? side I thought before, the place in Ballyhoura wont allow guests and was pricey, I dont know what happened to the place near mallow other than there was a bit of chaos at one stage, not sure if that was range/land related or somthing to do with pistol shooting.

~B

The Kerry one is an Riocht[sic]
    Mallow,they shoot at Ballyhoura.ASFIK it was land rent problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

i was a member of ballyhoura and found it pricey and a bit too far away.
    still looking for somewhere a bit closer to the city.
    might be worthwhile for someone to open even an indoor airgun/.22rimfire range,i know plenty who would join.
    I am not a member of any range since my 9mm evil glock was refused but still on the lookout..

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Brian5

Any other ranges in tipperary,limerick,clare open to the public???

Simply put ..NO! There is no such thing a a day membership anymore in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Brian5

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Simply put ..NO! There is no such thing a a day membership anymore in Ireland.
    Ok so,can anyone go shoot in kilfinane?or fermoy ranges?

As has been said before, you can't just shoot at any range. You will have to be a member first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

Ok, I don't know about anywhere else but I know for a fact you can go to hilltop in newtownmountkennedy and shoot on the range without being a member because I have done so.
    It's only a .22 range and clay shooting.
    Very reasonably priced too. Only allowed use standard velocity(subsonic) ammo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

As has been said before, you can't just shoot at any range. You will have to be a member first.

That's not correct, you can shoot with your own licenced firearm on any authorised range that will allow you to; it's covered under section 2(4)(d) of the firearms act.

That's how every open shoot run by every club and association in the country is covered legally.

Advertisement