Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USA to win world cup within 20 years

• 29-03-2011 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

look at the change us has had in past 20 years, compare the team of 2010 with the 1990 team and think of what the team will look like in 2030.

the 1990 team was all college players, fast forward 20 years and our players are playing for solid european clubs with the exception of donovon but hes the exception he is our world class player and plays at home.

in another 20 years our team will prob be made up of players playing for elite clubs with a much greater strength and depth becoz the mls will be prob at least same level as ligue 1 by then i think.

even with good luck i think we could get far in 2014 world cup, quarters is the aim

Will us win world cup soon? 20 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

partyndbs wrote: »
    look at the change us has had in past 20 years, compare the team of 2010 with the 1990 team and think of what the team will look like in 2030.

the 1990 team was all college players, fast forward 20 years and our players are playing for solid european clubs with the exception of donovon but hes the exception he is our world class player and plays at home.

in another 20 years our team will prob be made up of players playing for elite clubs with a much greater strength and depth becoz the mls will be prob at least same level as ligue 1 by then i think.

Do you mean English League 1... Because if so I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

lol no french league its already championship level

look at the img academy and see how many players have come out of that in the past decade, its absolutely scary how much potential we have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I thought an african team was going to win it first? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

even with good luck i think we could get far in 2014 world cup, quarters is the aim

So what? That will only put them approaching the level of the likes of Brazil, France, Italy, Germany, England, Spain, Holland etc etc, all of whom have had players playing at elite clubs in the best leagues for decades now.

USA are improving no doubt and I suppose its not outrageous to suggest they might challenge for the World Cup in years to come, given how well the US do things once they put their minds to it, but your reasoning is dodgy enough and some of your points such as the Ligue 1 statement are speculative at best.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Barring a Greece-esque triumph of tactics and doggedness, no. By 2020 they still won't have anything like the level of talent of the top countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

USA are currently a competitive team. Will they win it in 20 years, its impossible to know but regards potential they have a long way to go before they can match the likes of Brazil or Argentina. Their team ethics is their main strength rather than individual brilliance. How many American players play in a top European side? I can't think of any.

landon could

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Having an elite bunch of players doesnt guarantee success. Look at Argentina, arguably the best squad in terms of player quality at the last World Cup (bar Spain). Hamstrung by a rubbish manager and their star player being off form.

messi wasnt off form, mardonna was ;)

obviously its not a sure bet but i think within 20 years will be powerhouses and it will be seen as a failure if the usmnt doesnt make semis often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Ahhhhhhh

• Advertisement

imagine in england if usa won world cup before they could win another one? hahahaha would be so funny. they r(and so are people in ireland and the whole world) patronising about football in america

Gillington wrote: »
    Ahhhhhhh

am born in usa, am irish too. i support both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

What does Pele think, I'll go with opposite response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

smokedeels wrote: »
    What does Pele think, I'll go with opposite response.

When asked to comment he was mumbling something about not being able to get the horn.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's definitely a possibility. Recent World Cups have been full of mediocre teams and soft draws and it only takes one decision to swing a match. People would have laughed at the idea of South Korea or Turkey in the semis or Greece and Denmark winning the Euros. They were one of a few teams playing positive football lat year so I'd welcome a US side challenging for honours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's definitely a possibility. Recent World Cups have been full of mediocre teams and soft draws and it only takes one decision to swing a match. People would have laughed at the idea of South Korea or Turkey in the semis or Greece and Denmark winning the Euros. They were one of a few teams playing positive football lat year so I'd welcome a US side challenging for honours.

I totally agree.

The US will only improve as they appear in more WCs and depening on the draw they could very easily find themselves winning the WC in the next 20 years.

And I look forward to the day it happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Not sure about Greece but Denmark had some quality players around the time they won it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I think they will have to improve the MLS a lot before they can challenge. If you look back on previous winners they all have a strong league behind them. France probably had the weakest league but it was streets ahead of the MLS and they had some amazing players in that team. France also had a strong footballing tradition and proper structure through the ranks for younger players.

Since 1966 these are the teams that made the final; England, (West)Germany, Brazil, Italy, Netherlands, Argentina, France and Spain. Thats only 8 teams and all of them have a strong league, probably the 8 strongest leagues in the world right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I think they will have to improve the MLS a lot before they can challenge. If you look back on previous winners they all have a strong league behind them. France probably had the weakest league but it was streets ahead of the MLS and they had some amazing players in that team. France also had a strong footballing tradition and proper structure through the ranks for younger players.

Since 1966 these are the teams that made the final; England, (West)Germany, Brazil, Italy, Netherlands, Argentina, France and Spain. Thats only 8 teams and all of them have a strong league, probably the 8 strongest leagues in the world right now.

No way ids the dutch league in the top 8 in the world, glorified version of the SPL tbh as in dominated by the same sides year in year out and living on past glories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

No

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Win? Perhaps, but we will go close. The MLS is improving gradually. Also many more Americans will get involved.

We have a good youth set up too. But we will desperately need to develop a few strikers over the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I think they have a chance. They have a lot of talent coming through and the era of football being more mainstream in the US is coming through. Juan Agudelo of the New York Red Bulls is one to look out for. He has just turned 18 and already has 2 goals in 3 games for U.S.

No way ids the dutch league in the top 8 in the world, glorified version of the SPL tbh as in dominated by the same sides year in year out and living on past glories.

Maybe not now but over the last 30 years they have produced some cracking teams and players. For USA to win it all their top players would need to be at top European clubs. I cant see the MLS ever being good enough. If you look at recent winners the players come up through the ranks of clubs in their home country and are taught to play in a certain style. Apart from Brazil, Argentina and France most of the winning players play in their home country. Even with Brazil and Argentina most players start of at home playing professionally before joining a big club in Europe. Although France had very few players playing in France at the time they had all cut their teeth in the French league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

20 years isn't all that long in infrastructure and team development. The US team, on recent accounts, are no fools and the bigger teams who face them in international competition shouldn't take them lightly (and they're certainly capable of causing big upsets.) However I reckon it'd be a much longer timeframe before they look like entering the upper echelons of footballing and look like challenging for the world cup. Maybe 40 - 50 years or so if I was pushed for a timeframe and even then there's it's not nailed on that they'll ever reach that level.

Now, what about China?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

landon could

No he couldn't.......at Leverkeusen he did nothing and went back to the US. He was ok at Everton last year, but ruled out a perm move. Not a World beater by any means.

I used to think the US would always do great in World Cups - I always have a cheeky E/W bet on them. But they never do anything really.

They have some DECENT players, but that is it I think.

Someone said above that with the US, when they put their mind to it though, they could well compete - which is a very good point. They are very competitive and have the facilities and resources to bring their grass roots level up to an amazing standard - but is the interest there to do it?

I think we would beat them in a match.

mayb but us overall is better than ireland

mayb but us overall is better than ireland
    My da would beat your da!

im not biased, i would like doyle, mccarthy, dunne and mcgeady duff keane in US squad but us team just is better overall imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

he is our world class player

Errr, what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

im not biased, i would like doyle, mccarthy, dunne and mcgeady duff keane in US squad but us team just is better overall imo.

Based on what? The US have a good team but better overall, I'm not so sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

until the american media start taking the game seriously over there then it wont happen. The mls is a good skillfull league but nowhere near the level of the top european ones and there aint much american players playing in europe at a high level anyway.

The term world class gets over used a lot but this takes the biscuit. To me world class means you would get in pretty much every team in the world. If donovon was world class he would not be playing in the MLS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'm honestly shocked this thread has lasted 3 pages. Surely the set procedure is to ignore the idiotic thread and hope it eventually falls back down the pagelist?

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Errr, what?

in an international sense, donovon is world class, ok hes not messi but for us hes world class

in an international sense, donovon is world class, ok hes not messi but for us hes world class
    He is your best player but that does not mean he is world class.

• Advertisement

dempsey is one of best players in prem this season and donvon is better than him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I think Australia will do better than the US in the next 20 years. The move to Asia guarantees Australia regular competitive football rather than a match against New Zealand every two years similar to the way the US only really have Mexico for company.
    I find American players have very little in the way of skill and are all hard work, muscle and fitness. The MLS will never take off as a major league it will always be a last pay day for the likes of Henry, Beckham, Angel, Marquez. The reason I gave Australia as an example is that there is comparisons between them.

Their best players over the last 20 years: Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore, DaMarcus Beasley, Brian McBride, Cobi Jones, Eric Wynalda, Joe Max Moore, Brad Friedel, Kasey Keller

Compared to Australia: Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka, Tim Cahill, Mark Bresciano, Lucas Neill, Mark Schwarzer, Brett Emerton, Mark Bosnich, John Aloisi, Tony Vidmar, Stan Lazaridis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

20 years is a very short span in World Cups. You are talking within the next five tournaments. I'd say no chance. Maybe in 20 World Cups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

CSF wrote: »
    I'm honestly shocked this thread has lasted 3 pages. Surely the set procedure is to ignore the idiotic thread and hope it eventually falls back down the pagelist?

If you don't like it don't post. And it is only on page one for serious boardsies :D

for people saying its a short time compare the evolution of the us in 1990 to 2010. its crazy how much its changed. i think in 20 years usa will be at least the level of the dutch team for example. being good doesnt mean we'll win world cups but i just think usa will have one of the best teams in international football in 20 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

dempsey is one of best players in prem this season and donvon is better than him

He is? I need to pay more attention!

Dotsey wrote: »
    I think Australia will do better than the US in the next 20 years. The move to Asia guarantees Australia regular competitive football rather than a match against New Zealand every two years similar to the way the US only really have Mexico for company.
    I find American players have very little in the way of skill and are all hard work, muscle and fitness. The MLS will never take off as a major league it will always be a last pay day for the likes of Henry, Beckham, Angel, Marquez. The reason I gave Australia as an example is that there is comparisons between them.

Their best players over the last 20 years: Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore, DaMarcus Beasley, Brian McBride, Cobi Jones, Eric Wynalda, Joe Max Moore, Brad Friedel, Kasey Keller

Compared to Australia: Harry Kewell, Mark Viduka, Tim Cahill, Mark Bresciano, Lucas Neill, Mark Schwarzer, Brett Emerton, Mark Bosnich, John Aloisi, Tony Vidmar, Stan Lazaridis
    I also think Oz is too far away. Playing in Asia is better for them but the fact remains that their league will be weak. Players become good by playing against other good players week in week out. A lot of the hard work is done when players are kids. I think it is too hard for a country from outside Europe or South America to really break into the elite.

L'prof wrote: »
    He is? I need to pay more attention!

the stats speak for themselves

for people saying its a short time compare the evolution of the us in 1990 to 2010. its crazy how much its changed. i think in 20 years usa will be at least the level of the dutch team for example. being good doesnt mean we'll win world cups but i just think usa will have one of the best teams in international football in 20 years

There are other teams that have improved a lot more than the US. Look at Turkey, they where getting beat 5-0 by Ireland less than 20 years ago and then came 3rd in 2002. So do Turkey have a great chance of winning the World cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

the stats speak for themselves

Show us then, not that stats are the be all and end all!

we have better coaching, facilities and potential than turkey imo

we have better coaching, facilities and potential than turkey imo
    But Turkish teams are in the Champions League and the Europa League. This is where they hold a huge advantage, IMO the Champions League is the highest standard of football and this is where they improve. Brazil dont have very good facilities and i hear they are alright. Again Brazilian players play at a pretty good level.

well i think eventually mls teams will take part in the copa libertadores, prob within next 5 years so we will be competing against top teams on a yearly basis

well i think eventually mls teams will take part in the copa libertadores, prob within next 5 years so we will be competing against top teams on a yearly basis
    If that happens ya have a chance of improving but not so much that you will win the world cup. Go back over the winners of the world cup and they are football mad countries. the country comes to a standstill when these nations are playing in the world cup, does that happen in America?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Not a chance.

And Landon Donavon is by no means a world class player.

• Advertisement
Advertisement