Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner advice

• 29-03-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for some advice, pls excuse the very basic questions.

I'm thinking of getting the samsung galaxy from meteor for €100 prepay, i mainly use my phone for calls and texts but i want something that i can use for very basic inet ie.. boards, facebook etc

Do i need to pay extra for the inet per day?

If so and i connect through the phone's wifi to my own inet is it then free?

If i connect using the wifi and download apps do i need to be connected to the inet to use the app?

Basically i dont want the phone to end up costing any more but i'd like to be able to download apps :)

Thanks for your time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

If you use your own wifi it won't cost you anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭gaoife

Thanks a mill, i'll prob just get them to turn it off if i buy one and use wifi at home for apps etc, once the app is on the phone is it free to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

gaoife wrote: »
    Thanks a mill, i'll prob just get them to turn it off if i buy one and use wifi at home for apps etc, once the app is on the phone is it free to use?

Yes. Ofc u wont check emails without internet on the app :)

But everything else will run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MelissaCB

hi, i have similar queries- i want to get the teeny sony ericsson xperia mini pro to use for tracking my runs, rather than buying a garmin watch.
    do you know will it cost much to use the fitness apps? i have 4 sessions a week of training, totalling about 8 hours.
    i try to keep to twenty euro a month, meteor free talk and text. if i go over i often just dont talk to my non-meteor friends!
    thanks

• Advertisement

The purchases come out of your credit card. Not the phone bill. You can check how much it cost In the online marketplace for android

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MelissaCB

thanks. Im just wondering how much it will cost to run- the app itself isnt mroe than a few euro i think. i think i'll borrow a friends phone and see how it goes. thanks for help :)

Mmm i dont know how much it can cost to run it.

Ive only tried one app before and it was free. But that was on WindowsMobile. So you need to shop around and do some research.

Just a word of caution... X10 Mini Pro isnt a great phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

MelissaCB wrote: »
    thanks. Im just wondering how much it will cost to run- the app itself isnt mroe than a few euro i think. i think i'll borrow a friends phone and see how it goes. thanks for help :)

Hi, for what its worth, you won't buy anything in a phone that comes close to a garmin forerunner for tracking runs. I believe the 305 can be purchased for around 105£. If tracking runs is you main objective, this is the route id take. I use the 405 and its awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

MelissaCB wrote: »
    hi, i have similar queries- i want to get the teeny sony ericsson xperia mini pro to use for tracking my runs, rather than buying a garmin watch.
    do you know will it cost much to use the fitness apps? i have 4 sessions a week of training, totalling about 8 hours.
    i try to keep to twenty euro a month, meteor free talk and text. if i go over i often just dont talk to my non-meteor friends!
    thanks

If all you are doing is tracking the route, the time it took and distance then the google My Tracks app does it all for free. It also does gradient etc. Data from gps etc .69c a day (2 hours 4 times a week ? ) for data on Meteor would be about 2.80 a week for you, no way the gps and 3g would eat up the daily allowance of data. I use it myself on my Sony X8 same phone as you mentioned basically. plus you can upload the route and all other date to a google map and spreadsheet afterwards :)

Just remember to turn off data traffic and gps when you are not using it to avoid being charged when you don't need to be, and it saves the battery etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Xperia Mini pro is a fine phone. By no means top of the market but it's not bad at all for someone who's a new entry into the smartphone market and is looking for a decent device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

SM01 wrote: »
    Xperia Mini pro is a fine phone. By no means top of the market but it's not bad at all for someone who's a new entry into the smartphone market and is looking for a decent device.

I should have added to my response , that se are not going to be updating the Xperias with newer verisons of android, at least it's the case with the X8. May or may not be something the OP cares about, but I know it rightly pissed me off after only having my one 3 months :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

If u live near the North, you can pop over the border and get the Orange San Francisco for ~€100.

Also, re: the data charges. Android comes with a power widget that lets you just turn off data with one tap, so I wouldnt be calling up meteor to get them to disable anything just yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

calex71 wrote: »
    I should have added to my response , that se are not going to be updating the Xperias with newer verisons of android, at least it's the case with the X8. May or may not be something the OP cares about, but I know it rightly pissed me off after only having my one 3 months :(

I believe SE announced the X10 series is getting Gingerbread though.

Advertisement