Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone 4 best phone -so what's the 2nd and 3rd best?

Options
  • 29-03-2011 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Its seems there is no beating the iPhone4 so what comes next, paying about E80-90 p/month to 02 (incl. E20 data package) and entitled to 2 phones at the lowest level !!!! Grr!!

So here looking at Emobile which have loads of good phones for free ! Any advice? I have a Samsung Touch at the moment. What about android phones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

if your planning on getting a good phone i would suggest you steer clear of all but the main 3 carriers, as alot of people including myself find their service to be frustrating at best

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Kalinda wrote: »
    Its seems there is no beating the iPhone4 so what comes next,

i think this should have been posted in you laugh you lose? No? If not, I'd say iphone 3 number 2, iphone 2 number 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Kalinda wrote: »
    Its seems there is no beating the iPhone4 so what comes next, paying about E80-90 p/month to 02 (incl. E20 data pack

How about a phone that you're allowed to use Flash with...
    Frynge wrote:
    if your planning on getting a good phone i would suggest you steer clear of all but the main 3 carriers, as alot of people including myself find their service to be frustrating at best

LOL! who is left then? - you mean the like of Tesco mobile / Emobile who, if they accumulated enough customers, would also have complaints?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

LOL! who is left then? - you mean the like of Tesco mobile / Emobile who, if they accumulated enough customers, would also have complaints?

i actually meant tesco/emobile and the likes were the ones to stay away from

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

My god OP your so far off the mark with that thread title its not even funny.

god's toy wrote: »
    My god OP your so far off the mark with that thread title its not even funny.
    i laughed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Lads, some people don't know any better and actually believe the hype/marketing or Mr. Jobs. Instead of mocking the OP, here's your opportunity to steer him/her in the right direction :D

Phones available now that are better than iphone (imo of course) that would be significantly cheaper:

HTC Desire, Desire HD
    Samsung Galaxy S, Omnia 7

(HD and Omnia 7 are still fairly expensive and without hesitation i'd still take a desire or galaxy above them)

The above manufacturers and sony ericsson have some new handsets the very near horizon that should raise the bar even further but they will be pricey upon launch

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I love the Droidboys posting on here, as if it was fact that their handsets are all round better than the iPhone. This is not the case.

1) e-mail handling - why should I HAVE two e-mails apps? One G-Mail and one everything else? Why is the e-mail client so difficult to use? Why is is so difficult to determine what is a new/unread message. Apple's simple blue dot makes it easy, at a glance.
    2) Battery life. It is shocking. Why should I HAVe to turn off GPS, WiFi, BlueTooth, turn the screen brightness right AND turn off 3G down to get a full day?
    3) Phone stability. Why should I have to restart my phone every couple of days to stop lags, crashes, etc?
    4) Alarms, why dont they work when the phone is powered down?
    5) Market place - A fair amount of knock-off software/malware and poor quality, unstable apps. This is improving though still no where as good as the iOS appstore.
    6) Media integration is horrible on android handsets. Photos, music, podcasts, notes, etc are not handled in a predictable way. Drag and drop creates it's own problems, info is often "missing" - or at least can't be read by the phone.
    7) Software updates, are slow in coming and often don't fix issues with the handsets, they are an excuse for operators to put yet more bloatware on the handset.

SonyEricsson, raising the bar? Not a chance. The Play is already delayed on o2-UK, review units have been flaky and battery life is even worse than usual on Android.

Android is an option for customers, just like any other platform. Just because you would rather live in Google's (increadingly walled) garden, does not make it better than Apple's walled garden. It's a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

As an owner of an iPhone 4, I would have many criticisms of it. While it probably is the best out there, I do not believe it is the best value for money. I have played around with a friend's Samsung Galaxy and if I'd not been gifted my current phone, I'd get one of these in the morning over any iPhone. With the latter, you're paying extra for the brand name, at least that's my impression.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

bd250110 wrote: »
    I love the Droidboys posting on here, as if it was fact that their handsets are all round better than the iPhone. This is not the case.
    Android is an option for customers, just like any other platform. Just because you would rather live in Google's (increadingly walled) garden, does not make it better than Apple's walled garden. It's a choice.

1) Can easily use gmail to get all your mails and not sure what you mean about finding out what's new - never had any issues
    2) I get 2 days, yes some users are having issues. You tell me all iphones last more than a day?
    3) Not a common issue
    4) It is an issue just like when clocks go forward or back iphone alarms don't work!
    5) So every app in App store is so great?? Malware is not an issue for 90% of Android users I'd reckon
    6)"Precdictable" - no it's the Apple way. Android lets you pick and choose
    7) That's a network issue - can you install custom rom's, change everything about your phone in a matter of mins? No!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

4. iphone alarm also doesnt work when powered off (unless thats changed with the last update, my 3g doesnt anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I agree; personal preference, nothing more, but I'm not sure what you mean by Google's walled garden, you don't have to use any Google services if you don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Opinions my friend, not facts - if you noticed i've even mentioned a WP7 phone as an alternative
    1) e-mail handling - why should I HAVE two e-mails apps? One G-Mail and one everything else? Why is the e-mail client so difficult to use? Why is is so difficult to determine what is a new/unread message. Apple's simple blue dot makes it easy, at a glance.
    2) Battery life. It is shocking. Why should I HAVe to turn off GPS, WiFi, BlueTooth, turn the screen brightness right AND turn off 3G down to get a full day?
    3) Phone stability. Why should I have to restart my phone every couple of days to stop lags, crashes, etc?
    4) Alarms, why dont they work when the phone is powered down?
    5) Market place - A fair amount of knock-off software/malware and poor quality, unstable apps. This is improving though still no where as good as the iOS appstore.
    6) Media integration is horrible on android handsets. Photos, music, podcasts, notes, etc are not handled in a predictable way. Drag and drop creates it's own problems, info is often "missing" - or at least can't be read by the phone.
    7) Software updates, are slow in coming and often don't fix issues with the handsets, they are an excuse for operators to put yet more bloatware on the handset.

i could respond to each one but i'm too busy, i'll just say you're doing it wrong if that was/is your experience - i honestly don't know where some (1, 3, 6, 7) of them are coming from
    SonyEricsson, raising the bar? Not a chance. The Play is already delayed on o2-UK, review units have been flaky and battery life is even worse than usual on Android.

The Play is the runt of the new SE litter, no grá for it whatsoever. The Neo is the one i'd be interested in but in reality they should have just held off to see what they could come up with in a dual core guise.

Of course it's just an option, again all responses in here are merely opinions. All phones are made to certain specifications to suit certain needs - in this case the OP was looking for an alternative to the iphone and hence the non-iphone (although not particularly helpful) responses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I love the Droidboys posting on here, as if it was fact that their handsets are all round better than the iPhone. Other Android and Windows handsets are far more superior than the iPhone.

Not all droid boys :) some windows boys too :)

Fixed it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

What about BlackBerry Boys :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPZH4OysGZI

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nexusg

cookie1977 wrote: »
    What about BlackBerry Boys :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPZH4OysGZI
    Haha good one!or not!

Definitely prefer androids as like others said apple though good is just too predictable and boring. I would like if Android had even more apps but not so much of an issue as a few months ago. If anyone wants a good phone the Google Nexus S is a nice phone have it with a month love it. Not cheap but definitely way better than other droid phones I've used and can compete with iphone 4 in many aspects and better in some. Display is brilliant.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

LG optimus 2x guys? surely this phone will take some beating when it comes out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

teednab-el wrote: »
    LG optimus 2x guys? surely this phone will take some beating when it comes out?
    LG phones have always been sh1t when I used them, will take a good phone to shake off that reputation

• Advertisement

That's cause none of LG's phones before were really smartphones. They were cheap budget phones for the masses

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

LG? Even their Android handset are poor to use and unreliable. My former boss used to say (and still does) "An LG? Is the customer taking insurance with that? They will be back". The return rate was hideous, about twice as much as any other manufacturer.
    LG only got away with it because they sold cheap handsets, to tweens who knew no better. They will have to up their game to play with even SE and Moto, let alone Nokia, Apple, HTC and Samsung.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

I'll stick my oar in. Got an N8 two weeks ago, what an incredible piece of kit! I'm blown away with it's level of tech and the sheer usability it offers, its extremely intuitive to use if you're a Nokia head (which I've been since 1995).
    Just my tuppence worth though.

LG? Even their Android handset are poor to use and unreliable. My former boss used to say (and still does) "An LG? Is the customer taking insurance with that? They will be back". The return rate was hideous, about twice as much as any other manufacturer.
    LG only got away with it because they sold cheap handsets, to tweens who knew no better. They will have to up their game to play with even SE and Moto, let alone Nokia, Apple, HTC and Samsung.

Its a matter of opinion I suppose. In the stuff magazine, they gave the LG 2x a high rating and that it was the next big thing in phones, I dont think it would make the magazine itself unless it was unique and had something to offer. It remains to be seen I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

teednab-el wrote: »
    Its a matter of opinion I suppose. In the stuff magazine, they gave the LG 2x a high rating and that it was the next big thing in phones, I dont think it would make the magazine itself unless it was unique and had something to offer. It remains to be seen I suppose.

Are there any LG adverts in that mag?

JustinOval wrote: »
    Are there any LG adverts in that mag?

yeah two actually believe it or not. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

TheAnswer wrote: »
    I'll stick my oar in. Got an N8 two weeks ago, what an incredible piece of kit! I'm blown away with it's level of tech and the sheer usability it offers, its extremely intuitive to use if you're a Nokia head (which I've been since 1995).
    Just my tuppence worth though.

Nokia are years behind when it comes to smartphones

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Nokia are years behind when it comes to smartphones

or only ahead ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

or only ahead ;)

Time will tell how they get on in the future with Windows, but the N8 is a pitiful smartphone when you compare it with whats available at the moment

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Time will tell how they get on in the future with Windows, but the N8 is a pitiful smartphone when you compare it with whats available at the moment

that's rubbish.

Advertisement