Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone 4 best phone -so what's the 2nd and 3rd best?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

dr ro wrote: »
    that's rubbish.

Ah come on. Everyone knows Nokia has been doing **** in the smartphone sector for a couple of years now

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

yeah they have but the newest range of s3 phones are far from pitiful compared to other smartphones. The best hardware plus the best features. The n8 does many things that no other smartphones can. fm transmitter, usb, hdmi, proper free navigation, by far the best camera plus the best flash. these are specifications, not opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Oh please, Nokia haven't been relevant in the smartphone market since the N95 and the fact they needed to go with Microsoft proves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Venom wrote: »
    Oh please, Nokia haven't been relevant in the smartphone market since the N95 and the fact they needed to go with Microsoft proves it.

They only went with M$ cos they offered lots of cash Google has the market and offered less

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    They only went with M$ cos they offered lots of cash Google has the market and offered less

Yeah but don't forget for that large sum of money Microsoft is getting alot of Nokia services, patents that never got settled and world wide reach to carriers and bill pay billing for app purchases. They didn't throw it out just for them using it. You will see Ovi maps merged into Bing and other services.

if Nokia manages to build a solid phone by the end of this year with Windows Phone they will get back alot of users that they lost over the years to iPhone and Android.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

The biggest winner for smartphone will be whoever builds a decent smartphone with a good battery. I dont get a day from my desire. Id say about 12 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

racer1 wrote: »
    The biggest winner for smartphone will be whoever builds a decent smartphone with a good battery. I dont get a day from my desire. Id say about 12 hours.

I know a lot of people complain about battery life but TBH I've never been 12 hours from the nearest power source, I can charge at home, on my desk, in the car... It has never been an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

JustinOval wrote: »
    I know a lot of people complain about battery life but TBH I've never been 12 hours from the nearest power source, I can charge at home, on my desk, in the car... It has never been an issue.

Not everyone can do what you can. I think battery issues are going to get bigger especiallly with the launch of dual core devices. Hopefully they'll get the mix right between power and speed.

Justin ye its not a problem for lots of people but im on the move around my company all the time and i need my phone on me. I cant just plug it in beside me and use it.

Well i went looking at new phones yesterday. Was thinking of trading in my Desire with CPW for a new phone. But all the phones i looked at from Nexus S to Sony Xperia range of android phones and the HTC HD7 windows phone all have poor battery performace. The only phone was the N8 that got a half decent review. So i said no point in changing.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Not everyone can do what you can. I think battery issues are going to get bigger especiallly with the launch of dual core devices. Hopefully they'll get the mix right between power and speed.

If 12 hours is an issue it only takes seconds to switch batteries, the desktop charger I have has a try to charge a second battery.

The HTC incredible S has a larger battery which protrudes from the back of the case and I bet there will be complaints about that too. It's just a matter of finding what works best for your usage.

• Advertisement

...and there's always the Mugen batteries -

http://www.mugen-power-batteries.com/

The iPhone4 is said to have the best battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

bd250110 wrote: »

1) e-mail handling - why should I HAVE two e-mails apps? One G-Mail and one everything else? Why is the e-mail client so difficult to use? Why is is so difficult to determine what is a new/unread message. Apple's simple blue dot makes it easy, at a glance.
    Have you ever even used email on an Android phone? It looks as if you haven't... Not only that but at least I can change my email app had I mind to. The iPhone doesn't offer me the same level of freedom.
    2) Battery life. It is shocking. Why should I HAVe to turn off GPS, WiFi, BlueTooth, turn the screen brightness right AND turn off 3G down to get a full day?
    The battery life on the iPhone is equally poor.
    3) Phone stability. Why should I have to restart my phone every couple of days to stop lags, crashes, etc?
    This does not happen on any phone barring those running experimental or custom ROMs, something that does not even exist on the iPhone.

As for the other points they are far too petty and weak to even reply to.

...and there's always the Mugen batteries -

http://www.mugen-power-batteries.com/

The iPhone4 is said to have the best battery life.

Ive seen them before Justin and thought about them but didnt bother with it at the time which i regret. Now i think i wont go that way as i will change my phone in next 3/4 months.

Yes the battery in iphone 4 is better than most but the reviews i read say that the N8 battery is best. But overall package of N8 is not going to make me buy it. I use my phone mainly for twitter and facebook apps and internet. After that text and voice. Im moving back to prepay with o2 as they have now a prepay data add on.

I've a custom rom (Darkys 9.5) on my Galaxy S, after average usage all day yesterday with wifi on it was at 72% when I went to bed from a full charge in the morning, it was at 55% when I woke up this morning. I never left the house mind You, so there's no roaming or looking for signals. 2-3 days is easily obtainable once you know whats heavy on the battery and whats not, software like juice defender can also help, but I don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

There is no one 'better than all the rest' smartphone out there. They all have incremental improvements in certain areas, just figure out what features suit your lifestyle the most and go with the phone that satisfies that.
    dr ro wrote: »
    The n8 does many things that no other smartphones can. fm transmitter, usb, hdmi, proper free navigation, by far the best camera plus the best flash. these are specifications, not opinions.

Oh please. I've a crappy old LG that has an FM transmitter and USB. HDMI port on a phone is currently a useless feature. Proper free navigation, not even sure what you mean by this.

And best camera? 12MP with that tiny sensor, that's a laugh! Though it's good for marketing to the sheep who think megapixels are what make a good camera. (That's a fact, not an opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Have you ever even used email on an Android phone? It looks as if you haven't... Not only that but at least I can change my email app had I mind to. The iPhone doesn't offer me the same level of freedom.

The battery life on the iPhone is equally poor.

This does not happen on any phone barring those running experimental or custom ROMs, something that does not even exist on the iPhone.

As for the other points they are far too petty and weak to even reply to.

FYI I used a Desire daily for about 2 months. It drove me crazy.

1) The GMail app only handles GMail, not other e-mail providers. Yes I could (and did) download another e-mail client from the market, or forward my e-mails to GMail, but why should I HAVE to do this? E-mail is a basic function of nay smartphone, it should work right out of the box, regardless of provider. Not even Apple forces you to use their .me service, you can use your choice of GMail, Hotmail, MS Exchange, POP, IMAP, whatever your organisation uses. Android does not give you this functionality.
    2) Battery life was poor on my Desire, it was a case of take off charge in the morning, drive to work, use @ work and dead by home-time. I did work in a Phone Shop at the time, so there was a bit of demo-ing, but I had a "shop-phone" for calls, etc. We had 2G/3G repeaters in the back, so network performance was never an issue. The iPhone (3G, later 4), on the same network, in the same places got 1.5- 2 full days. The Desire had Wi-Fi off, GPS Off, screen brightness turned down, etc. The iPhone was allowed to do as it wished.
    3) I had no custom ROM's etc, but needed to do a battery pull at least once a week.

This is my experience of Android, the fanDroids will say I am talking rubbish, that what I say is lies, but it is my true experience. I loved HTC Sense, having SD cards that I could swap out and I adore the notification system, which is so much better than iOS. But a mobile phone can not go 12-18 hours without a charge/crippling "smart"features/battery swap, it's not a mobile phone I can live with. Although the upcoming dual core phones do promise better battery life, so hopefully this will improve things.

FYI I used a Desire daily for about 2 months. It drove me crazy.

1) The GMail app only handles GMail, not other e-mail providers. Yes I could (and did) download another e-mail client from the market, or forward my e-mails to GMail, but why should I HAVE to do this? E-mail is a basic function of nay smartphone, it should work right out of the box, regardless of provider. Not even Apple forces you to use their .me service, you can use your choice of GMail, Hotmail, MS Exchange, POP, IMAP, whatever your organisation uses. Android does not give you this functionality.

Did you try 'Mail'?

Android ships with both gmail and email apps, you could have setup your google email in the email app and then disable all notifications in the gmail app. I've my gmail as my personal email, email as my work ones, I love the idea of keeping them completely seperate as do most others

The reason why iPhone has a better battery life is cause it has the smallest screen of the whole lot of smartphones. If you ever look at the power usage on the smartphone, the screen takes the most of it. The processors and os's are fairly well tuned In all OS's and doesn't use that much in standby. WiFi is the second battery killer. Then if your playing games or using apps that adds on. Most people coming from Nokia legacy devices expect days of battery life. But you barely ever used the phone for a few calls and texts back then so the phone was most of the time in standby resulting in great battery life.
    I'd love to have 3 days battery life but I know I won't have that till there's more low power high performance parts In the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

The reason why iPhone has a better battery life is cause it has the smallest screen of the whole lot of smartphones.

That's not true at all, phones like the Wildfire, SE X10 Mini/X10 Mini Pro, etc all have much smaller screens than the iPhone. The Desire screen is not much bigger than the iPhone (3.7 Vs 3.5) and the early Desires (which I had) had AMOLED displays which should be more battery efficient than the iPhone's TFT-LCD.

I don't see the need for two e-mail programs myself. I like everything to be in one place. Any desktop e-mail client worth it's salt can display multiple e-mail accounts, either as one combed in-box, or separate lists. BlackBerry can do it, iPhone can do it, webOS can do it, even Symbian can do it. Gmail works best on Android using the native app. Google refusing to allow other e-mail addresses is simply a ploy to force users towards Google services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

OctavarIan wrote: »
    There is no one 'better than all the rest' smartphone out there. They all have incremental improvements in certain areas, just figure out what features suit your lifestyle the most and go with the phone that satisfies that.

Oh please. I've a crappy old LG that has an FM transmitter and USB. HDMI port on a phone is currently a useless feature. Proper free navigation, not even sure what you mean by this.

And best camera? 12MP with that tiny sensor, that's a laugh! Though it's good for marketing to the sheep who think megapixels are what make a good camera. (That's a fact, not an opinion)

Wow, you obviously know your stuff! Agreed 12mp is probably overkill. No harm either. n8 has largest sensor on any camera phone. hdmi plugs into hd tv! usb file transfer very useful. And you've a crappy LG!
    check it out yourself, you obviously haven't. http://londoniscool.com/ariel-pictures-of-london-captured-with-a-mobile-phone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I don't see the need for two e-mail programs myself. I like everything to be in one place. Any desktop e-mail client worth it's salt can display multiple e-mail accounts, either as one combed in-box, or separate lists. BlackBerry can do it, iPhone can do it, webOS can do it, even Symbian can do it. Gmail works best on Android using the native app. Google refusing to allow other e-mail addresses is simply a ploy to force users towards Google services.

The Android/HTC mail app can handle multiple accounts.

There is a separate gmail app if you want it, as there is for Yahoo, but you don't have to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

The Android/HTC mail app can handle multiple accounts.
    There is a separate gmail app if you want it, as there is for Yahoo, but you don't have to use them.

Lol yeah but the effort you have to go through. If your a hotmail user u have yo put in details manually. Now who knows their network details?
    You should only ever need to put In your email address and pass. No more.

Battery life is better on the iPhone. But not by a margin. Tbh I don't care. A decent battery on eBay goes for a 10 euro and I can always have a spare. No charging times. No fuzz. Take and go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

OctavarIan wrote: »

I use all of it's features regularly enough. Being able to stick a HD movie on the phone (or even a usb key or external hd) and play it on a HD tv is a brilliant capability. I don't need to bring a load of disks around when I want to watch a movie at a friend's house.

If I want to give a file to someone in college, I don't need to find a computer first, I can transfer it from one USB key to another easily.

Which LG phone allowed you to connect directly to USB devices? I genuinely don't know, so I'm curious.

I don't need a cable to be able to play music or use hands free in a friends car.

"Proper free navigation", meaning that you don't need mobile internet what so ever to use the mapping/sat-nav capabilities. Google Maps is great until I go to exactly the place I really need it. Another Country. Where I don't have free data...

I know very well that more megapixels =/= better camera. However, it has one of the largest sensors found in a mobile phone, larger even than some cheap P&S cameras. I realise that this is just another statistic and doesn't prove anything, but we all know full well that the N8's camera is really excellent for a mobile phone, regardless of the figures.

Thats a good summary of the N8 Kevin. I had a good look at N8 and was impressed by its hardware and battery life. What made me not buy it was the internet browsing on it. Reports say it is not as good as the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

The built in browser is more than a bit sucky, but Opera Mobile is free, and is very very good. The latest version also reformats the page when you zoom in. Added bonus of Opera is that it can do most of the page processing on their servers, meaning less data downloaded to your phone = faster browsing and lower data use.

The camera in the N8 is a good way ahead of anything else on the market. The iPhone 4 is next nearest, but Apple's image processing is deliberately dreadful: everything comes out over-saturated with a cast to it - there's also no way to turn this off. (iPhone 4 is marginally better for video, but again, the colours are screwed).

Lol yeah but the effort you have to go through. If your a hotmail user u have yo put in details manually.

No you don't..

Anyway, back on topic... :D

Totally agree with OctavarIan; there is no 'best', just personal preference.

• Advertisement

No you don't..

so tell me why everytime I tried to enter my email I was asked to put in hotmail server details manually?

Advertisement