Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone 4 best phone -so what's the 2nd and 3rd best?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

my sgs flashed with darky rom and lagfix enabled would eat your little Iphone for breakfast :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Why would you need to go through the effort of lag fixing the phone when you spend 500-600 quid on one? Why can't it just work and perform?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Why would you need to go through the effort of lag fixing the phone when you spend 500-600 quid on one? Why can't it just work and perform?

Because Samsung make great phones with terrible software. Because Android is open the community can get to work and fix/make a better software for the phone than Samsung

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

in all honesty im in total agreement with you, when I first bought the phone it was great but after a few week started to get a bit on the laggy side, I was real pissed off such an expensive phone was not working as it should so I flased it with darky rom with the help of a few of the lads here on boards and now its better than when it came out of the box but yes you are totally right if you pay that kind of money for a phone it should come that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Why would you have to get an update on a phone so it can tell the time properly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

so tell me why everytime I tried to enter my email I was asked to put in hotmail server details manually?

I can't answer that, all I can say is I just tried it and it worked with nothing more than email address and password...

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Because Samsung make great phones with terrible software. Because Android is open the community can get to work and fix/make a better software for the phone than Samsung

Yeah i agree Samsung can make darn good hardware but screw up on software side of it. But for Android being an open community is no excuse for having a lag so bad to make people frown after getting their new shinny phone.

A consumer that doesnt even know of tech forums shouldnt be forced to look for one to fix their phone. It should work as soon as it comes out of the box. And if it doesnt an update should go through ASAP to fix this. As far as im aware the Galaxy still suffers lag issues on 2.2
    JustinOval wrote: »
    I can't answer that, all I can say is I just tried it and it worked with nothing more than email address and password...

Well i tried stock builds and tried sense builds and i was always asked to enter my hotmail server details. So had to root through forums to find what i needed to put in into what space.
    seanybiker wrote: »
    Why would you have to get an update on a phone so it can tell the time properly?

Which phone your talking about there? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

seanybiker wrote: »
    or in this day and age, have to wait months for an update to enable copy/paste. simples.

ive owned an iphone4, and its ****. Hardware wise it was great, iOS though feels dated and featureless. it doesnt actually feel like a smart phone at all after coming from android. i used to DL apps onto my ancient S30 nokia phones. big woopdidoo.

and you can keep your record breaking 11,500 WP7 apps. i prefer my 100 000+ apps,dedicated devs and open system. i also like to occasionally change my microSD card.

customization is king!

EDIT: forgot to slag N8 - who honestly cares about the camera these days? i would probably take 10 pics a month at max, and my DHD does that just fine. anything else my DSLR gets whipped out. besides, the rest of the N8's software is crap, and even Nokia acknowledges that.

Oh yeah like Android update cycle is better. iPhone has the smoothest update cycle out of the whole lot.

They announce it. It gets delivered. Simple as.

Say what you say. Its all prefference. I wont say that i dont miss messing around with Android. But after months of it i just got tired.

I just dont think that any one should buy a premium device and not get the premium service and device they expected.

It should come out of the box. It should be simple yet fun to use and look at. And work straight out. I still know people that own Android devices and still dont know what Android Market is or how to change the wallpaper lol.

Thats why all providers are trying to push out things easy to use. Because the majority of consumers are too lazy to RTFM.

Yeah i agree Samsung can make darn good hardware but screw up on software side of it. But for Android being an open community is no excuse for having a lag so bad to make people frown after getting their new shinny phone.

A consumer that doesnt even know of tech forums shouldnt be forced to look for one to fix their phone. It should work as soon as it comes out of the box. And if it doesnt an update should go through ASAP to fix this. As far as im aware the Galaxy still suffers lag issues on 2.2

2.2.1 fixes all lag issues, but the truth is 2 months later Vodafone & co haven't rolled that out to their customers yet, which is why I went down the custom rom route.

If I were the OP, I'd go for the Nexus S for this reason, no branding, no locking, no holding back firmware until they add their own branding, universal firmware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Tea_Bag wrote: »

EDIT: forgot to slag N8 - who honestly cares about the camera these days? i would probably take 10 pics a month at max, and my DHD does that just fine. anything else my DSLR gets whipped out. besides, the rest of the N8's software is crap, and even Nokia acknowledges that.

You obviously care enough to come back and edit a post to say something negative about a product you don't own.

The lady doth protest too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    2.2.1 fixes all lag issues, but the truth is 2 months later Vodafone & co haven't rolled that out to their customers yet, which is why I went down the custom rom route.

If I were the OP, I'd go for the Nexus S for this reason, no branding, no locking, no holding back firmware until they add their own branding, universal firmware

2.2.1 was released by 3 weeks ago for the Galaxy S

Walkman wrote: »
    2.2.1 was released by 3 weeks ago for the Galaxy S

I didn't wait for it. I got it from samfirmware.com before that and I had already moved on to Darkys by then. Darkys takes it one step further than the official Samsung firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

BlackBerry is no.1!! :P

ah but seriously isn't great to have choice and that we all know which is the best phone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

KrisW wrote: »
    You obviously care enough to come back and edit a post to say something negative about a product you don't own.

The lady doth protest too much...
    ?

im trying to give an opinion that the OP can base his opinion on. the fact that i left out some key information and came back to fix it hardly says anything about me, except maybe dedication.

hell dont take my opinion to heart at all, just read the reviews by the experts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Tis great to have choice. My OH has iphone 4 and thinks its the best for one reason its made by Apple... I had iphone 3gs so thats why i went for Desire when i got this phone. Next time i may go for a windows 7 phone. I like to change....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

racer1 wrote: »
    Tis great to have choice. My OH has iphone 4 and thinks its the best for one reason its made by Apple... I had iphone 3gs so thats why i went for Desire when i got this phone. Next time i may go for a windows 7 phone. I like to change....

So its the best phone because it is made by apple :eek::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    ?

im trying to give an opinion that the OP can base his opinion on. the fact that i left out some key information and came back to fix it hardly says anything about me, except maybe dedication.

...it was the "forgot to slag" that annoyed me, but I respect your honesty ;)

There's a lot of bashing on the N8 around, for some reason. Having used the other main competitors, I don't get it - iOS, Android, WP7 and Symbian3 are all comparable: you choose one based on what's important to you, because none of them are better overall than the others. If Android or iPhone is so damn good why would anyone need to badmouth other choices? Is it that the product they bought doesn't live up to the inflated expectations they were given?

Personally, I needed a new phone, so after looking at what was available, reading reviews, talking to friends who had them, and playing with the phones in shop, I decided that the N8 was best for my needs. The software needs some work, but it's not "unusable" or "horrible" or any of the other things you read in reviews by guys who didn't know about smartphones until 2007.

What was important to me, and what made me choose the N8 (in this order):
    - call quality (including handsfree)
    - camera
    - display
    - battery life
    - connectivity
    - freedom to do what I wanted with it
    - long-term support from the manufacturer

Iphone offered two or three, Android offered two or three, only the N8 offered all of what I wanted. So, guess what, I put my own requirements above the opinion of the self-appointed experts.

I said "display", but one word of warning - my N8's display is perfect, but there are still some that have a purple cast to them. It's a warranty replacement, but still would be a pain in the hole if it was your phone.

My only advice to the OP is to make a list of what they really like or use most with their phone, then decide which phone best meets those needs. (I know of people who bought iPhones, for example, after reading how great they were, who now seem to use the phrase "but why can't I just..." much more than they used to)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

angel01 wrote: »
    So its the best phone because it is made by apple :eek::confused::confused:

that is a popular opinion. When iphone first came out it was the slickest looking phone. To a Lot of people that equals the best phone. Still does. However a quick look under the hood reveals otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

- long-term support from the manufacturer
    That's turned out well, then! AFAIK Nokia have all but killed off Symbian now. I know they still 'support' it, not the kind of thing I would consider 'support' though. How long are N8 users waiting for those firmware updates? For a new Browser? Have to admit, Im wicked jealous of Symbian's miserly power consumption though. A lot of Nokia users switching to WP7 will be shocked.
    As an iPhone user, I think the support from Apple is top-notch. Updates are pushed down as soon as they are available, there is no operator bloatware and if you have a problem call into a store/call apple, they will replace it on the spot, if necessary.
    dr ro wrote: »
    that is a popular opinion. When iphone first came out it was the slickest looking phone. To a Lot of people that equals the best phone. Still does. However a quick look under the hood reveals otherwise.
    "Under the hood" I presume you mean specs. Bearing in mind the iPhone 4 is now 9 months old it has:
    - >300 PPI Screen Resolution 3.5"
    - Battery life inferior to Symbian but superior to Android/WP7
    - ~1Gz Single Core Apple A4 Chip
    - 500MB RAM
    - 5MP Camera
    - Front facing VGA Camera w/FaceTime
    I don't see how the hardware is deficient? In any case, it's not what you've got, but how you use it. The N8 has what some would consider "rubbish" specs, but Symbian can use those resources really well, to provide a decent experience.
    The operating system and looks are a matter for personal taste, nothing more.

• Advertisement

bd250110 wrote: »
    A lot of Nokia users switching to WP7 will be shocked.

Battery life inferior to Symbian but superior to Android/WP

That's alot of rubbish. Can't summarize all platforms, battery life is device and user specific. There is no device with SUPERIOR battery life. Most devices on paper share approximately the same figures. The battery life depends on ALOT of figures.

Theres people with Android, iPhone , Windows and Symbian that get great and horrible battery life.

Advertisement