Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Dublin

Options
  • 29-03-2011 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hi all,

I will be relocating to Dublin very soon and would like to be living in City Centre for work purposes. What areas are ok and safe to live in the city?

My OH will be living with me and is worried about feeling safe so want to make sure we are in the right place for her...

What are Smithfield/Capel Street/Temple Bar like to live in?

Or any other areas you would recommend?

Appreciate all responses from contributors with experience!

Thanks for reading
    BRC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Smithfield is great - lived there myself for a number of years. So central, plenty to do & its full of young professionals. Great pubs, you have the Luas & there's plenty to do with the cinema, nice restaurants etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brianrcarney

Yeah been looking at Smith, although was down there a couple of Sundays ago and there was a fair few drunks/homeless/addicts and that around....
    trying to get somewhere with parking too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Trying to find a place with parking is a nightmare in Smithfield. I'm in Stoneybatter at the moment, and you get the usual collection of "characters", but I've had no trouble and the street is so quiet, it took me a good while to get used to. It's also serviced by good bus routes and is walking distance from the Luas. The "characters" in Smithfield" aren't so bad either. :)

Lived in Temple Bar once, which I loved, but don't count on getting a good night's sleep on a Saturday night. Capel Street is a really handy location for access to the centre, but again finding a place with parking would be problematic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I think Smithfield is a kip. Drunks, addicts, and hoards of ASBO youths at night. Gentrification doesn't work if you leave all the knackers living there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Hi all,

I will be relocating to Dublin very soon and would like to be living in City Centre for work purposes. What areas are ok and safe to live in the city?

My OH will be living with me and is worried about feeling safe so want to make sure we are in the right place for her...

What are Smithfield/Capel Street/Temple Bar like to live in?

Or any other areas you would recommend?

Appreciate all responses from contributors with experience!

Thanks for reading
    BRC

Temple Bar is full of drunken tourists. Even close proximity to Queen of Tarts (YUM!) can't compensate for the drunken lunacy, noise, and general chaos.

I briefly stayed with a friend over on Capel Street before I left Dublin, and I liked it - if I get the chance to move back, that is one of the areas I would look for a place. It's very diverse, and there are a lot of small local businesses, including a killer Polish bakery.

I lived in Ranelagh, which is a bit out of the city center, but an easy walk (or Luas ride). It's a nice area, with a lot of shops, and I felt very safe there as a woman living solo. It's close enough to the city center that you don't feel like you are missing anything, but its far enough out that you don't have to deal with the noise, the crowds, or the feral children. But a lot of the decision on housing in Dublin depends on what side of the river you work on, since the Luas does not connect. My office was in D2, but I suppose that living in Ranelagh would be trickier if you worked in D1.

• Advertisement

or the feral children

The who?!

Ranelagh is gorgeous, but would completely solve the problem of what the OP is worried about. If budget was no issue, I'd still be living there, but you get a lot more for your money on the Northside (for the most part.)

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    The who?!

If you haven't met them, you haven't lived :D My advice, never retaliate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

The who?!

The ASBO youths you referred to. ;)

i will be working in the IFSC, OH will be traveling to work near capel street...

• Advertisement

The ASBO youths you referred to. ;)

ha ok! Feral children though, sounds like you're talking about South American slums or something, lol

any one suggest anywhere else to consider?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

any one suggest anywhere else to consider?:confused:

I'll recommend the places I always do, Cork St/Patrick St/Francis St.

I'll recommend the places I always do, Cork St/Patrick St/Francis St.

How accessible is the IFSC from these places??

if you're in the IFSC and she's on Capel Street the best option would be anywhere along the Red Luas line. It would probably be only a short walk for the two of you from your workplaces. Have you thought about renting in the IFSC? Rents have dropped there a good bit since the recession.

Anywhere on the Southside would mean a bus trip into the city centre and walking, or a walk across the river to the Luas.

yes have looked at IFSC.... places look nice enough but for what you get they are expensive!

you could be right about the Luas too... very few buses go into IFSC which is strange

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

How accessible is the IFSC from these places??

Be a bit of a walk, or alternatively a few of the buses that go down Cork St and up Patrick St go to Grand Canal Dock.

Maybe Herbeton Apartments in Rialto could be an idea too, you have the Red Line Luas right at your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭gorgo

Maybe see these

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1029159

Location speaks for itself!

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1029248
    Ain't bad for the price. Its a 5-10min walk to Smithfield luas stop.
    You can walk most of the way with the OH to Smithfield and she will be a little further then.
    Tesco not too far. Phoenix Park is 5-10mins walk down the N.C.Rd.
    39 Bus to Blanchardstown Centre around the corner.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1020722 Ideal location

Just a few options

Thanks Gorgo! Capel Street does indeed look ideal.... and has parking for a little extra too..

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paul75

the majority of the inner city is a sh1t hole - just behind the ifsc is one of the biggest scum holes in the city.
    Ranelagh, donnybrook, rathmines would be ideal but access to IFSC and Capel st is a big problem.
    Kilmainham would be a really good bet. Although it is surrounded by scum areas, it is quite nice. Lots of parks, cafe's etc. The big plus is that there are a couple of red luas line stops there which means easy access to capel st and ifsc.
    The other really good bet would be to live in the new docklands developments in dublin 2. Lots of nice restaurants, close to city centre, close to IFSC and handy for your OH getting luas out to capel st.

• Advertisement

paul75 wrote: »
    the majority of the inner city is a sh1t hole - just behind the ifsc is one of the biggest scum holes in the city.
    Ranelagh, donnybrook, rathmines would be ideal but access to IFSC and Capel st is a big problem.
    Kilmainham would be a really good bet. Although it is surrounded by scum areas, it is quite nice. Lots of parks, cafe's etc. The big plus is that there are a couple of red luas line stops there which means easy access to capel st and ifsc.
    The other really good bet would be to live in the new docklands developments in dublin 2. Lots of nice restaurants, close to city centre, close to IFSC and handy for your OH getting luas out to capel st.

The majority of the inner city is not a "scum" area as you would infer. Yes, it may have a higher number of social problems but the majority of people are friendly and wouldn't cause you any hassle. I've had my fair share of crap from knobs on in the areas that you mention, it isn't the blissful renting utopia that you make out that it is. (And they are endowed with a sense of entitlement, that OBVIOUSLY you want to hear their opinion on you- truly painful.)

Please don't generalise whole areas as "scum". It's not constructive and nor is that scaremongering of any benefit to the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think Smithfield is a kip. Drunks, addicts, and hoards of ASBO youths at night. Gentrification doesn't work if you leave all the knackers living there too.
    Warning for this post, this is not acceptable in this forum
    paul75 wrote: »

Again, this is completely unacceptable in this forum, 1 week ban for this.

We don't mind having threads like, but when this type of absolute crap starts in them, we have to re-assess the situation of allowing them.

Yes, some people living in some places are undesireables, of course they are, but it simply not on to go around tarring everyone in a particular area as "scum" or "knackers".

Des - not sure why this is now in Politics section?? I posted in Dublin City... was it moved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I am a bit confused why this is in politics :D
    My two cent,its a lovely area.What is unfortunate is the men out looking for kerb crawlers.

If i were you i would ring the local Garda station for the area an get a heads up on how safe it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

lol, apologies.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

I would avoid the north and west inner city. I think it is dirty and rough to be honest. Just my opinion. I am sure some good people live there but if you want a safe area I would avoid it.

To be honest I don’t think the areas on the red luas line are any great shakes either. Some very undesirable areas there too. My opinion. As some have suggested Smithfield is pretty rough and not the safest. Had a couple of friends who lived there and moved because it was dangerous once it got dark.

I would look at areas on the other Luas line and Ranleagh areas. A bus into town is not that far a walk from the IFSC. Most people do that. Even the Dart line to Connolly.

You will be safer and more comfortable. Bit more of a commute but worth it for your safety. The Bus service is very good as is the Luas.

Don’t make any silly decisions. Check out those places and night and at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

NickDrake wrote: »
    I would avoid the north and west inner city. I think it is dirty and rough to be honest. Just my opinion. I am sure some good people live there but if you want a safe area I would avoid it.

To be honest I don’t think the areas on the red luas line are any great shakes either. Some very undesirable areas there too. My opinion. As some have suggested Smithfield is pretty rough and not the safest. Had a couple of friends who lived there and moved because it was dangerous once it got dark.

I would look at areas on the other Luas line and Ranleagh areas. A bus into town is not that far a walk from the IFSC. Most people do that. Even the Dart line to Connolly.

You will be safer and more comfortable. Bit more of a commute but worth it for your safety. The Bus service is very good as is the Luas.

Don’t make any silly decisions. Check out those places and night and at the

weekend.[/

Nothing wrong with most areas on red luas...Kilmainham , drimnagh islandbridge for example.....ever been anywhere outside of green luas territory? Too scary for u I imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

Btw if both working in north inner city why not somewhere like clontarf or drumcondra?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

You might consider HSQ beside Heuston Station e.g
    http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/Heuston-South-Quarter-Kilmainham-Dublin-8/1029983/
    The new apartments there are a 2 minute walk from Heuston Station and the luas stop for the IFSC and there are several buses into town for your OH (79/79a) stop right beside Capel St on Ormond Quay!
    It's also a nice walk in the morning taking about 20 mins from HSQ to Capel St (along the river).
    There is a SuperQuinn Store on sight and you are also beside The Phoenix Park and Royal hospital Kilmainham (Museum of Modern art).

I would also second checking out apartments in Islandbridge and perhaps The Old Choclate Factory in Kilmainham. I think these places would suit you both very well and wouldn't have you both fighting major traffic in the morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

ciaran_h wrote: »
    Btw if both working in north inner city why not somewhere like clontarf or drumcondra?

He's making sense. If you want to have a car AND are a bit nervous of the city then Clontarf, Raheny, Drumcondra, Fairview are your best bets. Free parking (most likely), good public transport, very safe and pleasant places to be.

Just do your research. Stake the place out properly before you sign anything.

Advertisement