Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

ciaran_h wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with most areas on red luas...Kilmainham , drimnagh islandbridge for example.....ever been anywhere outside of green luas territory? Too scary for u I imagine

You can sneer at people for being afraid or whatever, but I think that you pay too much money to live in Dublin to put up with the kind of bull**** and nonsense that is de rigeur in many north inner city and southwest inner city areas. I do not understand why people pay a rent premium to live in the city center, but then have to deal with junkies, packs of unsupervised children, petty vandalism, and people blasting music at all hours of the day and night. And I say this having grown up on the south side of Chicago, which is not exactly a leafy suburban paradise.

When I first moved to Dublin I stayed around St Augustines' Street, just above Francis/Thomas street, and I could not get out of there soon enough. In the course of two weeks, I saw two fights, a guy get thrown (literally) out of a Spar, a guy dealing out of a doorway around the corner from my apartment at 2 in the afternoon, a daily session in the park off of High Street, and a pack of kids who could scale other peoples' fences with alarming speed. I knew half of their names before I left because their mothers screamed at them (when they could be arsed to pay attention) from their balconies half a block away. And I heard the same ****ign Dizzy Rascal CD played at max volume at least 50 times over the course of one weekend.

My friends who moved to Smithfield, and have a very nice apartment, are now dealing with a lot of the same issues, which seem to have gotten worse over time. Not to mention the monthly horse market, which never gets cleaned up properly, so you have to walk through and past piles of **** for a week afterwards.

Maybe it would be better if you had the sense that the Garda keep a close eye on things and take residents concerns seriously, but based on what I have seen, I have no confidence in them whatsoever.

Personally I would not move to any area off of the Red line once you got past the Four Courts. I have seen so much nonsense on that train - in the middle of the day, no less - and I would not want to have to deal with it on a daily basis.

Look, I love Dublin, and I would move back in a heartbeat if I had the chance. But the Capel street area is really the only part of the inner city (i.e. within the canals) that I would feel that the cost-to-nonsense ratio is worthwhile. Most of the new development along Pearse Street/Grand Canal is poorly constructed, tiny, and overpriced. And I have heard too many horror stories from friends living in Smithfield, the Coombe, and the Liberties (and seen enough nonsense when I went to visit them). Granted, the Food co-op is great, and there are some quiet streets tucked in behind Lower Clanbrassil. And maybe I just have bad luck or something. But for me, it was worth it to pay a little extra and have a longer commute in the morning to live down in Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

And I have heard too many horror stories from friends living in Smithfield, the Coombe, and the Liberties (and seen enough nonsense when I went to visit them). Granted, the Food co-op is great, and there are some quiet streets tucked in behind Lower Clanbrassil. And maybe I just have bad luck or something.

Lived in The Liberties for 20 years and never any major trouble, house was robbed twice and brother was assaulted (long story on that one, it wasn't just a spur of the moment attack). There is places in the area I would avoid, but generally wouldn't have a bother recommending it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I think that you pay too much money to live in Dublin to put up with the kind of bull****

Rent is cheap now. And, for every bad horror story, there are a thousand good stories that don't get told, why? Because they aren't horror stories. Tens of thousands of people live in the North inner city and love it, they get on just fine, I, like Gavin above did, for twelve years. Maybe you didn't research the area properly SSRosie.

Brian, best of luck with the move. It's a cracking city if you make the best of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

When I first moved to Dublin I stayed around St Augustines' Street, just above Francis/Thomas street, and I could not get out of there soon enough. In the course of two weeks, I saw two fights, a guy get thrown (literally) out of a Spar, a guy dealing out of a doorway around the corner from my apartment at 2 in the afternoon, a daily session in the park off of High Street, and a pack of kids who could scale other peoples' fences with alarming speed. I knew half of their names before I left because their mothers screamed at them (when they could be arsed to pay attention) from their balconies half a block away. And I heard the same ****ign Dizzy Rascal CD played at max volume at least 50 times over the course of one weekend.

My friends who moved to Smithfield, and have a very nice apartment, are now dealing with a lot of the same issues, which seem to have gotten worse over time. Not to mention the monthly horse market, which never gets cleaned up properly, so you have to walk through and past piles of **** for a week afterwards.

Maybe it would be better if you had the sense that the Garda keep a close eye on things and take residents concerns seriously, but based on what I have seen, I have no confidence in them whatsoever.

Personally I would not move to any area off of the Red line once you got past the Four Courts. I have seen so much nonsense on that train - in the middle of the day, no less - and I would not want to have to deal with it on a daily basis.

Look, I love Dublin, and I would move back in a heartbeat if I had the chance. But the Capel street area is really the only part of the inner city (i.e. within the canals) that I would feel that the cost-to-nonsense ratio is worthwhile. Most of the new development along Pearse Street/Grand Canal is poorly constructed, tiny, and overpriced. And I have heard too many horror stories from friends living in Smithfield, the Coombe, and the Liberties (and seen enough nonsense when I went to visit them). Granted, the Food co-op is great, and there are some quiet streets tucked in behind Lower Clanbrassil. And maybe I just have bad luck or something. But for me, it was worth it to pay a little extra and have a longer commute in the morning to live down in Ranelagh.

I agree with many of Rosies sentiments but as a "culchie" living in Dublin Kilmainham is fine! 79/79a 25/25a and 26 buses are all pretty decent buses. N.B 79/79a do serve Ballyfermot but generally are fine. I get them to work all the time. Now the 78a bus is a different story!!!!:eek:
    It must be noted that Dublin City Centre is very small and walkable and unfortunately that is the reason one sees so many "junkies" about. If it's your first time living in Dublin you will probably get a shock at first to see all these wasted lives walking around the place. it's part and parcel of the place. I don't like it, I don't think it should be tolerated but there is no geting away from it!
    I too have lived in various places in Dublin from Rathgar to Lucan over a 12 year period before finally settling in the Kilmainham area. Rathgar,Ranelagh and Rathmines all nice leafy suburbs where you will "feel safe".
    Loved Rathgar/Rathmines myself and would wholeheartily recommend:)
    O.P: the thing is often things can change within a few streets and a street that may be respectable and settled may be only a stones throw from a less desirable street! Thats why as others have said you really have to check the places out for yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Rent is cheap now. And, for every bad horror story, there are a thousand good stories that don't get told, why? Because they aren't horror stories. Tens of thousands of people live in the North inner city and love it, they get on just fine, I, like Gavin above did, for twelve years. Maybe you didn't research the area properly SSRosie.

Brian, best of luck with the move. It's a cracking city if you make the best of it.

But as an outsider, how are you supposed to know which blocks are the 'bad' blocks in an area? The landlord trying to rent you the place isn't going to tell you. Therefore, "researching the area" from the outside is based on the overall reputation, rather than the block-by-block breakdown. For newcomers, there is far less risk in moving into an area that, overall, has fewer problems (or is not right next to an area with a lot of problems).

And, as Sundew noted, moving to Dublin can be shocking to outsiders because of the number of addicts out and about in the city center. I was also amazed at the open air drug dealing I saw regularly along the quays. These are things that a lot of Dubs seem to take in stride, but are very off-putting or alarming for newcomers. So I've often found myself skeptical when local people say a place 'isn't that bad' because we often seem to have very different definitions of what constitutes 'bad'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

But as an outsider, how are you supposed to know which blocks are the 'bad' blocks in an area? The landlord trying to rent you the place isn't going to tell you. Therefore, "researching the area" from the outside is based on the overall reputation, rather than the block-by-block breakdown. For newcomers, there is far less risk in moving into an area that, overall, has fewer problems (or is not right next to an area with a lot of problems).

And, as Sundew noted, moving to Dublin can be shocking to outsiders because of the number of addicts out and about in the city center. I was also amazed at the open air drug dealing I saw regularly along the quays. These are things that a lot of Dubs seem to take in stride, but are very off-putting or alarming for newcomers. So I've often found myself skeptical when local people say a place 'isn't that bad' because we often seem to have very different definitions of what constitutes 'bad'.

Exactly. Like on the RTE news when they report a murder from Finglas or Crumlin Tallaght for example and they interview a local who says "you never see any trouble around here , this is a total shock".

When there was a person murderer or assault there a few months ago or the area is known as crime centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I lived in fairview and loved it, gets bad press though, youd probably be best off over rathmines, portobello way?

Phibsboro is good 2, youll have your own Porterhouse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I work in Castleforbes (down from the IFSC) and a friend of mine parks his Mercedes on the road and it recently got keyed... while parked in Foxrock!

Anyway, I'm staying in Fairview and that is very well serviced bus wise, and it'd be about 15 mins walk to the IFSC from where I am. Not so sure about getting to Capel street. I've found Fairview fine, but I've underground parking at "home" and at work.

The IFSC is very well serviced by the Luas.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

NickDrake wrote: »
    Exactly. Like on the RTE news when they report a murder from Finglas or Crumlin Tallaght for example and they interview a local who says "you never see any trouble around here , this is a total shock".

When there was a person murderer or assault there a few months ago or the area is known as crime centre.

i have lived in Finglas for 7 years and i have never seen any trouble, i feel very safe here and have no problem walking around at night.

Unfortunately, people hear one incident and tar the whole area with the one brush.

i also lived just off Meath Street and again, never seen any trouble and felt very safe. the same with when i lived on Parnell Square.

sometimes you can just be unlucky with neighbours. i have friends living in so called upmarket areas who are having nightmares.

i friend living in Ranelagh recently discovered her neighbours had managed to re-route their electricity through her apartment.:eek:

sometimes it is the luck of the draw. of course there are places in the city i wouldnt choose to live but i would never right off a whole area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Sundew wrote: »
    You might consider HSQ beside Heuston Station e.g
    http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/Heuston-South-Quarter-Kilmainham-Dublin-8/1029983/
    The new apartments there are a 2 minute walk from Heuston Station and the luas stop for the IFSC and there are several buses into town for your OH (79/79a) stop right beside Capel St on Ormond Quay!
    It's also a nice walk in the morning taking about 20 mins from HSQ to Capel St (along the river).
    There is a SuperQuinn Store on sight and you are also beside The Phoenix Park and Royal hospital Kilmainham (Museum of Modern art).

I would also second checking out apartments in Islandbridge and perhaps The Old Choclate Factory in Kilmainham. I think these places would suit you both very well and wouldn't have you both fighting major traffic in the morning!
    Second this, I live in Kilmainham and its nice and quiet. Other than that Ranelagh/Rathmines are really nice, but a little more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭jakdelad

Hi all,

I will be relocating to Dublin very soon and would like to be living in City Centre for work purposes. What areas are ok and safe to live in the city?

My OH will be living with me and is worried about feeling safe so want to make sure we are in the right place for her...

What are Smithfield/Capel Street/Temple Bar like to live in?

Or any other areas you would recommend?

Appreciate all responses from contributors with experience!

Thanks for reading
    BRC
    move to deli its cleaner and safer
    the A TEAM wouldent move to dublin
    the pubs sell blood plasma on draught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

jakdelad wrote: »
    move to deli its cleaner and safer
    the A TEAM wouldent move to dublin
    the pubs sell blood plasma on draught

Seriously?

gtfo

banned

nobody reply to that post

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hi OP, I would recommend Rathmines, its a lovely place to live. Fairly central and easy to get to the city from there. Great amenities nearby. I lived there for a while and loved it there. Its very safe and easy commute to the city by foot/bike/bus. I suppose for you in terms of being closer to work maybe the IFSC itself, Drumcondra, Grand Canal Dock, Kilmainham, a number of palces that other posters mentioned. Personally, I would avoid the city centre completely for concern for safety and noise reasons, the city centre surburbs be your best bet, often enough they are very close to the city by foot. Rathgar, Ranelagh, Ballsbridge, Donnybrook and Landsdown Road are places I would suggest aswell as it be easy enough to get a bus/luas/train to the city from those areas and areas like it too.
    Good luck OP, happy house hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Oddly enough, since the last fair, I've never seen so many Guards around an area since then.

I know Smithfield has gone down, but it's still not as bad as everyone is making out. I walk to the Luas from Stoneybatter on a regular basis and I've never had any problems.

I don't understand what everyone's apprehension is about these areas are. If you are looking to find bad things in an area, you can easily overlook what's good about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

irishbird wrote: »
    i have lived in Finglas for 7 years and i have never seen any trouble, i feel very safe here and have no problem walking around at night.

Unfortunately, people hear one incident and tar the whole area with the one brush.

i also lived just off Meath Street and again, never seen any trouble and felt very safe. the same with when i lived on Parnell Square.

sometimes you can just be unlucky with neighbours. i have friends living in so called upmarket areas who are having nightmares.

i friend living in Ranelagh recently discovered her neighbours had managed to re-route their electricity through her apartment.:eek:

sometimes it is the luck of the draw. of course there are places in the city i wouldnt choose to live but i would never right off a whole area.

One incident in Finglas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

I recently moved out to Pembroke Road (in between the end of Upper Baggot St and the Lansdowne Road junction) and would totally recommend it. On Google Maps its the Deansrath/Beggars Bush area.

I waited a long time to move because I'm female and live on my own, and wanted to make sure that I would feel safe walking home in the evenings - have never had a problem. All the surrounding areas (both sides off Baggot St and Northumberland Road) look really nice and safe as well.

Rents have also come down a lot (I got a steal), flats seem a bit larger - esp in converted houses, and you're likely to get parking with your rent or for not much more. Also lots of buses + DART close by.

Would also agree with other people on Portobello/Rathmines/Ranelagh.

Good luck!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

NickDrake wrote: »
    One incident in Finglas??

this isnt about Finglas but in 7 years, i have never even seen one incident.

all i am saying is, that you cant write off all areas.

OP, may be the best thing to do, is walk around the areas you are working and see if any where grabs you attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brianrcarney

well for anyone that is interested :p i have chosen my new pad for the short term future.... and the winner is Kilmainham!!

as luck would have it my mate has recently moved to England and had his place for rent @ 1100 on daft... i got a deal at 900 month no deposit! 2 double bed apt....

i have been in it before and its a great home and in a great area and as
    Sundew mentioned great bus links to town...

i really am :D with the arrangement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Depending what part of Kilmainham it is, you could also have the Luas closeby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

well for anyone that is interested :p i have chosen my new pad for the short term future.... and the winner is Kilmainham!!

as luck would have it my mate has recently moved to England and had his place for rent @ 1100 on daft... i got a deal at 900 month no deposit! 2 double bed apt....

i have been in it before and its a great home and in a great area and as
    Sundew mentioned great bus links to town...

i really am :D with the arrangement!!

Congratulations,Good location :)
    Happiness and good health and good luck in your new home :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brianrcarney

Depending what part of Kilmainham it is, you could also have the Luas closeby.

yup its only 5 mins away Gavin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Hi. I might be moving to Dublin later on in the year to possibly attend DCU. Can anyone a decent area to stay that is close by the University but I can get around to by Bus or Luas?

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Hi. I might be moving to Dublin later on in the year to possibly attend DCU. Can anyone a decent area to stay that is close by the University but I can get around to by Bus or Luas?

Probably better starting a new thread ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Sundew wrote: »
    Probably better starting a new thread ;)

Will do.

Advertisement