Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blaa to be Protected Designation of Origin food

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Surely someone should open a specific "Blaa Shop". Need'nt be big, just a small little place on the main thoroughfare. Personally, I think it would go down a storm. Of course its nice to have multi-nationals in town but surely the City Council should drop the rent/rates on all the vacant premises in town & let them out for a nominal fee. Might get some people interested in coming into town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A "Blaa Shoppe" (hey might as well go all the way quaint!) would be rather dangerous as there would be pressure to invent Blaa variations that muddy the waters. A Blaa is a very simple thing and not to be ****ed around with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't see him having any luck, I know how protective Waterford people are of their blaa, but there really isn't enough difference between that and a bap to get designation of origin .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Can't see him having any luck, I know how protective Waterford people are of their blaa, but there really isn't enough difference between that and a bap to get designation of origin .

The actual difference is irrelevant. It means that something called a 'blaa' can't be made outside of Waterford/S Kilkenny. In the same way there is little difference between Champagne and sparkling wine, but the name is protected. I wish it was the same for Waterford Crystal.

Regarding the 'blaa shop', why not have a bakery? M&D and Harney's Johnstown closed their shops for a reason. Its far far easier to get a fresh blaa from your local shop. But hey, if you can make a go of it fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

A blaa is a fupping white bread bun for fup sake.. Nothing special or unique about it, it is just a local name for a white bread bun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

mike65 wrote: »
    A "Blaa Shoppe" (hey might as well go all the way quaint!) would be rather dangerous as there would be pressure to invent Blaa variations that muddy the waters. A Blaa is a very simple thing and not to be ****ed around with.

Yeah, do you remember when Greers made brown blaas? That was just wrongness that was.

A blaa is a fupping white bread bun for fup sake.. Nothing special or unique about it, it is just a local name for a white bread bun.

If you are actually from Waterford get out of this city now because you don't deserve to live here with your heresy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

If you are actually from Waterford get out of this city now because you don't deserve to live here with your heresy.

I have had blaas before, a bit bland unless you stuff a couple of rashers or something into them, and some red sauce.. Doesn't the word "blaa" come from the word "bland".

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

You don't actually eat it on it's own. You need filling.......

I have had blaas before, a bit bland unless you stuff a couple of rashers or something into them, and some red sauce.. Doesn't the word "blaa" come from the word "bland".

BURN THE HERETIC!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

AndyKiely wrote: »
    You don't actually eat it on it's own. You need filling.......

I do :o

dayshah wrote: »
    The actual difference is irrelevant. It means that something called a 'blaa' can't be made outside of Waterford/S Kilkenny. In the same way there is little difference between Champagne and sparkling wine, but the name is protected. I wish it was the same for Waterford Crystal.

Yeah but sparkling wine came about from people copying Champagne and how it's made. You can't really say people are copying white bread because it's been made the same way worldwide for centuries.

You could have an argument for registering the word 'blaa' but no-one outside of Waterford is using it, they just call their baps 'baps'.

You could have an argument for registering the word 'blaa' but no-one outside of Waterford is using it, they just call their baps 'baps'.

Blaas are not Baps.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Aarnikotka

:eek: You take that back! :eek: The blaa has every right to be protected; like feta cheese, champagne or cognac. Jeez, now I want a blaa with cheese and a glass of cognac... :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Doesn't the word "blaa" come from the word "bland".

no it doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Aarnikotka

I do :o

Really?? Even without butter?? But but but... why? The possibilities are so endless! :)

Blaas are not Baps.

Well what's the difference? Honestly. I'm not taking the piss here, I've had plenty of blaas and they're exactly the same as any other kind of soft, floury white bread roll as far as I can tell.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Well what's the difference? Honestly. I'm not taking the piss here, I've had plenty of blaas and they're exactly the same as any other kind of soft, floury white bread roll as far as I can tell.

That's like saying theres no difference between a white roll and a ciabatta, sure the shape is the same the bread itself is different, density, texture, taste all different.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

Blaas are sometimes confused with a similar bun, known as a bap, which is often served with less flour.
    Another possibility is a derivation from the French word blé, which is used for certain types of flour, or the Latin root "blandus" which gives the English word "bland" and the Spanish word for soft.

Wikipedia

Blaa:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/99/Blaas.jpg/753px-Blaas.jpg

Bap:
    http://us.cdn2.123rf.com/168nwm/stargatechris/stargatechris1101/stargatechris110100093.jpg

Not the same at all, may look similar but completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

mike65 wrote: »
    I heard this on WLR this morning, a baker in town is trying to get the blaa made a protected regional food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_designation_of_origin

4 local Bakeries involved Hickey's, Harney's Kilmacow, M&D and Barrons in Cappoquin formed an umbrella group called the Waterford blaa bakers assocation from what I gathered from WLR today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭SirenX

Mmm nothin like a good auld blaa stuffed with butter and tayto cheese and onion... mmmm

You must have had your taste buds ripped out at a young age, Blaas taste of Waterford.

also

BURN THE HERETIC!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Aarnikotka wrote: »
    Really?? Even without butter?? But but but... why? The possibilities are so endless! :)

Oh no.I needs butter.
    I like fillings obviously but I like them with just butter too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I heard on radio recently that this European distinction is happening for the blaa is happening. Anyone know of any progress on it or more info?

Well deserved too as blaas are awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Or more likely to do with the Normans and how they used to call Blaas "Blancs" because of the white flour on the top of them

And yeah I hope this protectionism goes through, blaas are unique to the area and I'd much rather look forward to coming home and eating blaas than getting them made on my doorstep up the country by some bigger bakery

plus .......butter+rasher+brown sauce ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Burn the bloody garlic lovin spaghetti eatin heretic! Makin fun of blaaaas. What have we become?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Blaa comes from 'blanc'. This is widely accepted.

Before the Huguenots (French Protestant refugees) came a few hundred years ago we all ate brown bread. They brought white bread.

As anyone who has been to France can attest, French people can't speak properly, which is why blanc sounds a bit like blaa.

Advertisement