Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in Melbourne

Options
  • 29-03-2011 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

just wondering what sort of work is available in and around the Melbourne area for people on the WHV? Whether you're there now and working or had a job in Melbourne previously, any feedback would be great :) cheers!

<heading there this May>
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Here now in work.

Work is pretty easy to come by if you arent a lazy and are proactive about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Generally, there are lots of jobs here although the WHV will limit your options due to not be able to work in a company for more than 6 months at a time. Ive landed and IT job recently, took a lot of searching and rejection "sorry we need a permanent resident..." but I found something.
    A lot of travelers I know work in hospo or in trade. seek.com.au has a good selection also melbourne.gumtree.com.au.
    You should know, it quite expensive here so make sure you have few quid to get yourself setup. I was taken by surprise (Also i came from NZ...)

cheers
    Munky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 LisaRed

Aww okay cheers guys! I don't mind what kind of work it is, just once it's work, would just general retail/restaurants etc. be as hostile to the WHV over there? I can understand why a lot of companies would refuse WHV people, that's fair enough.

Also, dya know if it's true that to get bar work in Melbourne (or Australia in general) they're quite strict on you having a few years bar experience? I heard this off a friend recently but not sure if it's entirely true or not, thanks again, your comments are much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

LisaRed wrote: »
    Also, dya know if it's true that to get bar work in Melbourne (or Australia in general) they're quite strict on you having a few years bar experience? I heard this off a friend recently but not sure if it's entirely true or not, thanks again, your comments are much appreciated :)

You have to do a R.S.A. (Responsible Service of Alcohol) Course to work behind the bar over here I think its a day or two and costs about $70. Although I know people who have gotten jobs without it.

Doc wrote: »
    You have to do a R.S.A. (Responsible Service of Alcohol) Course to work behind the bar over here I think its a day or two and costs about $70. Although I know people who have gotten jobs without it.

Oh okay, wasn't aware of that, thank you! :)

Can anyone do this course or would you have to have previous bar-work experience? Suppose though you could just make up that you did :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

What's it like getting some admin work in an office there? I'll only have 1.5 years experience in a bank when I arrive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Lisa anyone can do the course.

Zambia wrote: »
    Lisa anyone can do the course.

OkieDokes, thanks for letting me know :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

GiftofGab wrote: »
    What's it like getting some admin work in an office there? I'll only have 1.5 years experience in a bank when I arrive

When are you arriving?

Spectrum People are pretty decent for office admin. Ask for Deb Davis and mention the other Irish lads advised you to call her.

She's pretty good at finding office admin for people and with your experience you should be fine.

Took her 3 days to get me a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Thanks for that. I'll definately get onto her.

I won't be arriving till the end of the summer. Oh and I'll be doing 6 weeks travelling before I arrive

• Advertisement
Advertisement