Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being mean ??

Options
  • 29-03-2011 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I feel a bit miserable posting this but here goes ...
    My daughter started to attend a local drama/dance thing 3 weeks ago. I spoke to the girl that ran it and she explained that there were so many Saturday classes in the term and a also a month of sunday classes and at the end there'd be a show. I happily paid over the fee ...
    I got a mail last night saying that the sunday classes were now moved to Tuesday as they couldn't get their usual space for the sunday classes. I explained how I work during the week and my daughter is in creche so unforunately wouldn't be able to make them. I also said that given the fact that the sunday classes were now on a weekday that I presumed there'd be some sort of refund for the 4 classes. She came back saying no that that was the term fee.
    The fees were quite reasonable (about €10 per hour) but still nothing to be sneezed at as ever penny counts these days. I feel mean asking for the 4 classes to be refunded but do you think I should stand my ground ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Not being mean at all, in my opinion. When you hear of events being rescheduled, like concerts, it's common for the tickets to be valid for the new date, and refunds to be offered to those who can't attend the new date.

I think the instructor is being mean by not coming forward and offering a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

SoulTrader wrote: »
    Not being mean at all, in my opinion. When you hear of events being rescheduled, like concerts, it's common for the tickets to be valid for the new date, and refunds to be offered to those who can't attend the new date.

I think the instructor is being mean by not coming forward and offering a refund.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I agree with soultrader your not been mean, she entered into an arrangement with you and has broken the terms. I have had similar experiences where the persons running such groups change the days wilynilly, surely they should be more organised from the beginning and have made sure their venue was available personally I think it is more to suit their own lives than anything else. I was lucky in the fact as a stay at home mum I was able to go along with any changes made. Just a word of caution a lot of these groups turn into a bit of a money racket. I have found near the date of said concert kids are given sponsership cards to help with costume price, the cost of families entrance can be exhorbinate and sometimes your asked to bring things for a party afterwards. And even if you do the sponsership thing you can still be asked to contribute to costumes. Be wise and dont get ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I would expect a refund aswell. Most people wouldn't be able to switch like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's not just a matter of expect. You are entitled to a refund. However, it would be a full refund and you would lose the place on the Saturday classes as well. If the instructor won't agree to some arrangement then you will have to choose one way or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Yep - a refund would be expected. If it was the other way around and for one reason or another you didnt make the classes then no - but to just change the classses like that she should be giving you a refund. So, nope, you're not being mean:)

Advertisement