Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What software do you use for photo organizing?

• 29-03-2011 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering what programme you use for organizing your photos?
    Picasa
    Lightroom
    iPhoto
    Flickr
    manually
    other?

Cheers,
    Pa.

p.s. please don't bother replying with something like ' just pick whatever one you like'.

What software do you use for photo organizing? 50 votes

Picasa
    0% 0 votes
    Lightroom
    18% 9 votes
    iPhoto
    54% 27 votes
    manually
    4% 2 votes
    Other
    24% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Cyrusmekon

Aperture 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I use Adobe Bridge

Manually. Lots of folders, sorted by year, then by genre, etc.

ie;

>Photography
    >>2009-2010
    >>2010-2010
    >>>Events
    >>>Locations
    >>>People
    >>>>Gigs
    >>>>Local Paper
    >>>>Portraits
    >>>>>Katie
    >>>>>Mandy
    >>>>>Patrick

... And so on and so forth.

I find this way handiest as I have multiple hard drives and usually make regular back ups back and forth on the different drives, and if there's a photo I want, I generally have a good idea where I'll find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

manually

as above..

photography\2011\EVENT\Picture.jpg..

it's a lot easier I find.. just come home after whatever you were shooting and copy and paste from the card straight into a new folder..

then when I have time to post process or want to find a photo it's pretty easy i find..

no messing around with software that does an easy job...
    I'm open to be corrected but I dunno why you'd NEED software to do it seeing as it's so striaght forward..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Mix between manually and bridge...

Because I've ~2-3 years of photos around the place, it's all very very messy, but the usual now is like:

Photography
    >Folder name
    >>RAW
    >>JPEG
    >>PSD
    >>TIFF
    >>1200px web
    >>800px web

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Manually. Generally on backup I will have folder for the year, then inside I have each folder organised by date, weddings and work etc will have the client name after the date simple as.

I also have a folder for family pics where I put my fav family pics into. I use bridge for viewing usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

Manually, and by that I mean basically stored in folders that have names with no relevance whatsoever to the photos. I'm so bad at organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Manually, and by that I mean basically stored in folders that have names with no relevance whatsoever to the photos. I'm so bad at organisation.

Do it befores it becomes a mammoth task.. Seriously I took me a few days(few hours each day) cause I didn't organise my stuff for ages.

I organise mine manually as well.

Year>Month>Date>Raw unedited files(inside the date folder)>Edits>Resized

Its still kinda unorganised becuase I dont know whats exactly in each folder so im going to go back through the lot and tag each folder with 3 words. It'll make searching a little easier.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

1. Adobe Bridge
    2. Manually (PC running Windows Vista)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Aperture 3 is what I use, very straight forward and easy to manage. Tools are pretty good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Lightroom.. I'm generating 4000+ images a month and couldn't live without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

sorry, I feel a n00b, but in a way I am
    so far all my pictures are organized in folders
    but it's getting out of hand now and hard to find pictures taken years ago

I've had a trial of lightroom but never got around to find what others "can't live without", most probably it's due to not being able to make the most of it
    I'm computer literated and had no problem going around LR, but didn't see how it could make my life easier for managing years of pictures

is there an ABC of how to start with it? thanks

EDIT: a few remarks
    I shot RAW
    pick sharper / better looking using acdsee pro (I know... :o)
    convert using Capture NX and save the NEF file, then click "open with" to have a 16 bits file opened in CS5
    after some actions (not much usually) I save it as JPG in the resolutions needed (usually full + 2 smaller res)
    I have a folder with subfolders for NEF and JPG, same folder structure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭wal100

Picasa..............Came preloaded on my Lappy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

quilmore wrote: »
    sorry, I feel a n00b, but in a way I am
    so far all my pictures are organized in folders
    but it's getting out of hand now and hard to find pictures taken years ago

I've had a trial of lightroom but never got around to find what others "can't live without", most probably it's due to not being able to make the most of it
    I'm computer literated and had no problem going around LR, but didn't see how it could make my life easier for managing years of pictures

is there an ABC of how to start with it? thanks

EDIT: a few remarks
    I shot RAW
    pick sharper / better looking using acdsee pro (I know... :o)
    convert using Capture NX and save the NEF file, then click "open with" to have a 16 bits file opened in CS5
    after some actions (not much usually) I save it as JPG in the resolutions needed (usually full + 2 smaller res)
    I have a folder with subfolders for NEF and JPG, same folder structure

If you use it for taking your images off the camera it'll sort them into folders arranged by year/month/day. Then when you're working on a specific gig/function/day out at the beach you can add batches of images to specific collections so you can browse for a file through the year/month/day structure or you can go to a specific collection, e.g. "Mike's Wedding". Makes finding a given file very easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

Promac wrote: »
    If you use it for taking your images off the camera it'll sort them into folders arranged by year/month/day. Then when you're working on a specific gig/function/day out at the beach you can add batches of images to specific collections so you can browse for a file through the year/month/day structure or you can go to a specific collection, e.g. "Mike's Wedding". Makes finding a given file very easy.

thanks
    I have a script that creates a folder year/month/day, it copies all files in the memory card to it
    after do what I say I do with the pics above, I move the NEF files that were saved (easy to spot among the full list) and delete the others

I'm fine with all that, got the hand of it and won't need to improve it by now
    it's the ammount of JPG I end up with the ones I'd like to manage, ideas are welcome

Advertisement