Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Ireland qualify for Euro 2012?

• 29-03-2011 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Well, what do you think of our chances? Poll to be added

How will we do in qualification? 142 votes

Yes, as Group winners
    0%
    No, not even a playoff spot
    22%
    PHBDont be at yourselfMr_Roger_BongosKingp35mayordenis[Deleted User]ShagNastiicraggleswow sierraDozen Wicked Wordsrobby^5cherryghosthelimachoptorwitnessrenegadeSergiopistolpetes11jamsieboy86KidchameleonFuhrerparker kent 32 votes
    Yes, via the playoffs
    16%
    PalefacezAbbopickarooneyLemlinplonkUnitedIrishmanSkittlebraucsonmurpho999NabyLadisthemanMUSEISTTech3baldbeareverdead.ieHandsome BobDEVEREUXMax Power1x PyRoWallyGUFCbonerm 23 votes
    No, beaten in the playoffs
    61%
    Bounty HunterSeanehDempseyDrag00n79JimT-b0n3matrimKiithjoe123Mr.Nice GuyziedthNecronomicon~Rebel~Kinetic^homerjay2005[Deleted User]tolosencthorbarrySeantheManeZe^ 87 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

I think we will via the playoffs....but we won't make it easy on ourselves, we never do. :)

But I am confident enough we have the squad to make it out of the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

If im not mistake Russia have nearly all home games left so I cant see them not winning the group.

We should make the playoffs but its a lottery then really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Play off heartache again I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I feel we have a good chance...the russia game was terrible but we have gone to both armenia and slovakia and got results, id be confident of beaten both sides at home. Russia away i dont think people are expecting too much but if we can get the 3 points in our favourite place skopje then i think we have a great chance as one of the automatic second spot places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

sugarman wrote: »
    Looking at the standings of all the other groups, theres actually a good chance we could automatically qualify through 2nd place if we win our remaining games yet lose away to Russia.
    you'd have to take out the points against Andorra for Ireland as they wont count...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lose in the playoffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

6 points from our last 5. Could they qualify with that?

Liam O wrote: »
    you'd have to take out the points against Andorra for Ireland as they wont count...

yea forgot about that which means montenegro are the best second place as there is only 5 in the group.

i reckon realistically and if we had abit of positivity about us we could scrape 13 points from our last 5 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The group is there for the taking IMO. Russia aren't close to being the force they were a few years ago, and Slovakia aren't a great team.

OK, neither are we, but I think we're getting better. Our squad is a lot healthier than it was even 12 months ago, with the emergence of McCarthy, Coleman and Clarke. Even if they're not starting every game, they're increasing competition and giving us more options. Duff is playing his best football in years. McGeady is starting to fulfill his promise. The squad is fairly settled and getting more and more used to Trap's system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Is the play off draw seeded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That'll be decided after the draw, probably :)

That'll be decided after the draw, probably :)

I will reserve judgement until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Remaining fixtures are:

June 4th

Macedonia v Ireland
    Russia v Armenia
    Slovakia v Andorra

Sept 2nd
    Andorra v Armenia
    Ireland v Slovakia
    Russia v Macedonia

Sept 6th
    Macedonia v Andorra
    Russia v Ireland
    Slovakia v Armenia

Oct 7th
    Andorra v Ireland
    Armenia v Macedonia
    Slovakia v Russia

Oct 11th
    Macedonia v Slovakia
    Ireland v Armenia
    Russia v Andorra

It would be typical of Ireland to slip up at home against Armenia on the last day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

From Wikipedia:

After confusion caused by the UEFA play-offs for 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying - which was originally to be an unseeded draw, but was seeded by FIFA in September 2009 - UEFA have announced that the draw for the play-offs will be seeded. The four runners-up with the best positions in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system will be seeded and will play their second legs at home. Each nation's coefficient and ranking position for the draw and final Euro 2012 draw will be calculated per results up to and including 11 October 2011

Is that how it works? Do they not lose their points gained against wales just because there are only 5 teams in their group? Thats completely unfair if so.

Also on another note, Montenegro would be a HORRIBLE play off draw for us.

quote from the uefa guidelines on the tournament ''7.06 To determine the best runner-up, only results against the teams in first, third, fourth
    and fifth place are taken into account, with the following criteria being taken into
    consideration in the order given:
    a) higher number of points obtained in these matches;
    b) superior goal difference from these matches;
    c) higher number of goals scored in these matches;
    d) higher number of away goals scored in these matches

page 13 http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefa/Others/91/48/36/914836_DOWNLOAD.pdf

I think Ireland will qualify via the playoffs this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭blockedPaT

Yes, go trough the playoffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

that missed penalty against slovakia and macedonia missing one against russian do not help!

Yes i read that. I was asking if thats for all groups or is it just for those with 6 teams in them, does it apply to those with 5?

If so, its fair play to everyone as nearly all the runners up will have a 2 out of 2 win against the minnows of their groups.

i.e we lose 6pts taken from Andora (a group with 6 teams) & Montenegro lose their 6pts from wins against Wales (Group with 5 teams)

dont think it does apply to the groups with 5 as wales would have had a bigger seeding than andorra and would be considered a much better side so it would have been much harder for a team in a group of 5 to get as much points as a team in a group of 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I reckon the only way we'll get there is via the play-offs & so long as they're not seeded like the worldcup last time arround.

Ideally we need to see Russia & Slovakia drop points along the way. I can see the group go right down to the last bunch of games tho.
    From Wikipedia:

After confusion caused by the UEFA play-offs for 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying - which was originally to be an unseeded draw, but was seeded by FIFA in September 2009 - UEFA have announced that the draw for the play-offs will be seeded. The four runners-up with the best positions in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system will be seeded and will play their second legs at home. Each nation's coefficient and ranking position for the draw and final Euro 2012 draw will be calculated per results up to and including 11 October 2011

There needs to be a legal challenge to that seeded play-off stuff.

It completely flys in the face of fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭sonic85

we might not make it out of the group. even if we do we wont make it through the play-offs

Assuming we finish in the play offs, as It's unlikely we will beat Russia in Moscow, these are our likely potential opponents, these teams should

Belgium OR Turkey OR Austria

Belarus OR Bosnia&H OR Albania

Greece OR Croatia OR Georgia OR Israel

Montenegro

Norway OR Portugal OR Denmark

Czech Republic

1)The countries there that are highly likely to be seeded in the higher bracket are Portugal, Turkey, Greece, Denmark.

2)The countries there that are in the mix to be seeded in the higher bracket are Belgium, Israel, Czech Republic, Croatia, Austria

3)The counties there that are highly likely to be seeded in the lower bracket are Ireland, Albania, Bosnia, Georgia, Montenegro, Norway.

That means our most likely play off game would be against 1) and 2)

Portugal
    Turkey
    Greece
    Denmark
    Belgium
    Israel
    Czech Republic
    Croatia
    Austria

All hypothetical if we were to finish second of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭sonic85

the only team i wouldnt mind facing out of that lot would be austria. not an easy game by any means but the rest would be unbelievably tricky

sonic85 wrote: »
    the only team i wouldnt mind facing out of that lot would be austria. not an easy game by any means but the rest would be unbelievably tricky

I agree, I don't know why people are confident we will at least get through the play offs, we would be probably underdogs against all of those with the possible exceptions of Austria and Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

I think it will once again be playoff heartache just because I think we'll get a tough team. But if we're lucky and get a good draw you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I think we will qualify through the Play-Offs, Its hard to tell now obviously as we don't know who we'd face.

Saying that I still have not given up hope if winning this group, Russia are not a brilliant side and 3 games in a row now have failed to score, September is a long way away though so who knows how we or them will be playing come then. It's going to be a huge few days though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I'd say if we do end up in the playoffs, we won't qualify.

Holding out hope that we put in a great performance against Russia and qualify top of the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Realistically I'd say we will be beaten in the play-off's but we do have an outside chance of qualifying if Trap can get his personal and formations right because are group isn't all that great.

Okay Russia did beat us convincingly in Dublin but aren't really a great side and there current form reflects that (draws vs Qatar & Armenia and defeats to Belgium & Iran). Slovakia are even worse! Yes they had a decent World Cup but they have only won once since then and that was a poor 1-0 vs Andorra, and apart from a 1-1 draw with ourselves they have been beat at home by Denmark & Bosnia and were embarrassed by both Armenia & Luxenbourg away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Beaten in the play-offs unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Fortunately it looks as if most of the bigger nations will finish top, I think Portugal are struggling but that's it.
    But I think an automatic play/off place is there for the taking , a win in Skopje will be crucial though, Russia are not all that either (drew with Qatar tonight), I'd be fairly confident of getting a draw out of that (unbeaten in away games under Trap),

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

Hopefully not so Trap will get the boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

hes gone anyway man after euro 2012 no way hell be around 4 brazil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

We've a reasonable chance of being seeded for the playoffs, actually. We have a coefficient of 16, which'll only improve if we get the 13 points were capable of getting from the next 5 games.

If we were to switch out Russia for Ireland in the current scheme of things, we'd get one of: Sweden, Slovenia, Belarus, Belgium.

BUT...

If we win in Macedonia and get a result in the Aviva against Slovakia, a draw in Moscow would be an amazing result. It'd leave us with a trip to Barcelona for what should be a certain 3 points while Russia will be in Slovakia. If they fail to win, we'll need a win against Armenia to guarantee qualification. Very doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

If Trap stops persisting with Kilbane and Gibson I think we can top the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think we'll come second and qualify via the playoffs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Yes, via the playoffs
    Well from what I've seen from us we just don't look good enough to qualify IMO.

I think if Macedonia had played the first half the same way they did in the second half on Saturday they would have beaten us. We looked as if we were the away side for most of the match.

Gibson is just useless. Didnt actually notice he was on the pitch until he got subbed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Dotsey wrote: »
    Remaining fixtures are:

June 4th

Macedonia v Ireland
    Russia v Armenia
    Slovakia v Andorra

Sept 2nd
    Andorra v Armenia
    Ireland v Slovakia
    Russia v Macedonia

Sept 6th
    Macedonia v Andorra
    Russia v Ireland
    Slovakia v Armenia

Oct 7th
    Andorra v Ireland
    Armenia v Macedonia
    Slovakia v Russia

Oct 11th
    Macedonia v Slovakia
    Ireland v Armenia
    Russia v Andorra

Looking at this I reckon if we feck up in the Macedonia away match or Slovakia at home, and we HAVE to get a result in Moscow, then I wouldn't fancy our chances of even making the playoffs.

But if we were to win in Macedonia and not lose against Slovakia and the Russia game was a potential decider for group winner, rather than a must-win to keep our chances alive kind of game...then I'd be optimistic....Of course Slovakia could do the business too and be top of the pile.

But I feel if we keep it together for the rest of the campaign, others could lose points elsewhere...and we could very well top the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Realistically, I think we won't qualify for two main reasons:

1. Our inability to trust our promising players (Clark, McCarthy, Coleman), instead preferring the likes of Kilbane, Green, etc.

2. FIFA's scandalous rigging of the playoff draw. Fair play my f*cking hole. So, you give a country like France an advantage by seeding them highly in the draw, and then if they f*ck it up, you give them ANOTHER advantage by ranking them for the playoffs? Absolutely laughable. Totally, totally anti-fair play.

The playoffs are our best method of getting to the finals, and the odds have been firmly stacked against us there. There needs to be a legal challenge. All the odds are stacked in favour of the bigger nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Rooney10 wrote: »
    FIFA's scandalous rigging of the playoff draw. Fair play my f*cking hole. So, you give a country like France an advantage by seeding them highly in the draw, and then if they f*ck it up, you give them ANOTHER advantage by ranking them for the playoffs? Absolutely laughable. Totally, totally anti-fair play.

The playoffs are our best method of getting to the finals, and the odds have been firmly stacked against us there. There needs to be a legal challenge. All the odds are stacked in favour of the bigger nations.

Really, I think something has to be done about this. The FAI need to argue the case with other smaller countries in UEFA. It is of no use to moan about it once we have been beaten in a play-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

I really think we'll win the group. Russia are a team in free-fall with a lot of criticism for Advocaat and big players such as Arshavin. Only drew with Qatar yesterday and really don't look convincing in any match just look how poor they looked when Ireland eventually got their finger out against them. If we win against Slovakia and Macedonia I think we'll finish top regardless of result in Moscow as Russia will definitely drop other points IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Realistically, I think we won't qualify for two main reasons:

1. Our inability to trust our promising players (Clark, McCarthy, Coleman), instead preferring the likes of Kilbane, Green, etc.

2. FIFA's scandalous rigging of the playoff draw. Fair play my f*cking hole. So, you give a country like France an advantage by seeding them highly in the draw, and then if they f*ck it up, you give them ANOTHER advantage by ranking them for the playoffs? Absolutely laughable. Totally, totally anti-fair play.

I'm surprised(and disappointed) there hasn't been more made of this since when they announced this was gonna be the case for the Euro 2012 Qualifiers, it is openly corrupt, even if i were from a "bigger country" (in fifa's eyes), i think i'd find it completely unfair.

There was no need for UEFA to follow FIFA's lead on this, the WC is a fifa competitin, Euro 2012 is not, but then again UEFA and FIFA may as well be the same organisation at tbhis stage

And while i'm at it, the way Sepp Blatters been in charge of FIFA for donkey years is akin to a dictatorship. Want a guaranteed bet? Michel Platini will be the next FIFA president, all he has to do is continue as he's doing

Rant over

And back to the point, i reckon we'll probably make it to the playoff's and then get beaten, although given the nature of last nights performance against Uruguay, we do have the ability to beat big teams

wudnt call uruguay a big team at all, bout our level(yeah they got to semis so could ireland with same draw and luck)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

partyndbs wrote: »
    wudnt call uruguay a big team at all, bout our level(yeah they got to semis so could ireland with same draw and luck)

Their forward line is top class. The rest of the team is about Ireland's level.

ye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

if we dont qualify, or finnish second in the group, Im sure we will look back at always as how the group was there for the taking, and one or two mistakes that cost us qualification... Like Keanes miss against Slovakia or the freak Russian barrage in the Aviva...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I reckon we'll have more pathetic 'glorious' failure in the Play-offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Lastnights game (as opposed to the Macedonia one) has left me more confident that we can do it via the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

With Trap as manager we will not qualify for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Yes, via the playoffs
    partyndbs wrote: »
    wudnt call uruguay a big team at all, bout our level

Forlan, Suarez, Cavani, Perez, Lugano, Abel Hernandez. Any of these could walk right into the Ireland team and up it by about 25%-50% each.

Don't be fooled by a score of 2-3. They would have beaten us about about 5 yesterday if they'd had to.
    (yeah they got to semis so could ireland with same draw and luck)

How? Winning games usually involves some sort of attacking ambition and defensive prowess. Ireland repeatedly demonstrate neither for anything other than brief moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

With Trap as manager we will not qualify for anything.

I hate his dinosaur tactics, I hate his dire squad selections, I hate his infuriating persistance with central midfielders who treat the ball like a hot potato, and I'm sure we would do better with a more modern manager, however the bottom line are the results and until we fall out of contention I don't think he's done quite enough to warrant a dismissal. But I certainly wouldn't complain if he went...

• Advertisement
Advertisement