Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Keeping

• 29-03-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Was just wondering how wold you become a gamekeeper. i have looked into it abit and saw that ya can become an apprentice gamekeeper now but can also go and study it at collage. Does anyone have any advice about it or any expierence you have had yourself of how to go about becoming a gamekeeper??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

I was a keeper on a pheasant, duck and partridge shoot for 2 1/2 years, got offered the job by the head keeper, had been doing bits of work for him on weekends and in the summer for years. Its a good way of getting into it. Other than that there is a college in Sparsholt in hampshire that train keepers. Meant to be a good course and they send you on work placements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

hi you would want to be sure of you want to go down that road as a gamekeeper as it is one of the hardest jobs .In ireland keepers are not very well looked after and some dont last the season once the do all the hard work ie rearing poults feeding them on the whistle feed up into the drives the have being let off asap. A lot of pressure on you to show the birds on shoot days guns expect them there on every drive you work 7 days a week during the shooting season and get paid for 5 days as the shooting season ends less work more time off some days are 14 hours if not more . And if it goes wrong you will get it in the ear uk is better setup college is worth it. Being a underkeeper here is next to nowhere in life as to little shoots here and very few make it if you dont have some sort of paper work behind you pay and work will reflect on it also the rate of pay is not good most keepers are on 80 to 95 euros a day .upside you are out everyday hail ,rain,snow get to see wildlife no one else sees fresh air .But as a keeper said to me your only as good as your last drive the all remember the bad ones

Advertisement