Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage rifle scopes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nono, that was to Sparks. He didn't like the look of what was happening to me and others with it...
    Yup. I was crying like a little girl between rounds off the SMLE as it was - the sight of fellas like IWM being moved, chair and all, an inch or so backwards with each shot, didn't seem like fun to me at the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Thanks lads ya I have held one before, last april in Jim Halpins of Listowel!

I don't mind the roughness as long as it can shoot straight.....well straightish!!

In terms of accuracy how does it compare to other vintage rifles? I'm really considering one of these now as they are very affordable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

patsat wrote: »
    Thanks lads ya I have held one before, last april in Jim Halpins of Listowel!

I don't mind the roughness as long as it can shoot straight.....well straightish!!

In terms of accuracy how does it compare to other vintage rifles? I'm really considering one of these now as they are very affordable!

That I cant answer so ill leave it up tp someone who has one to reply :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Would you not go .30-06 and be able to bring it out hunting the odd time?

If you get a weird calibre also you may be limited to 1 or 2 RFD's that can sell you ammo.
    Just something to keep in mind.

Would you not go .30-06 and be able to bring it out hunting the odd time?

If you get a weird calibre also you may be limited to 1 or 2 RFD's that can sell you ammo.
    Just something to keep in mind.

Ya have taught about that but would rather a take out a more accurate gun for hunting! The surplus ammo from Fingalsports seems a great price and he posts so shouldn't have too much hassle!

Was talking to Fingalsports today about getting in a Mosin, he said I'd be better off getting a reproduction scope to put on it as the older ones may not be accurate..

• Advertisement

Ya have taught about that but would rather a take out a more accurate gun for hunting! The surplus ammo from Fingalsports seems a great price and he posts so shouldn't have too much hassle!

Was talking to Fingalsports today about getting in a Mosin, he said I'd be better off getting a reproduction scope to put on it as the older ones may not be accurate..

Just choose carefully.
    Try and do a bit more research.
    A swedish Mauser had a few problems when mounting a modern scope.
    Not that all rifles would.
    It's just you have to remember that they were not designed for scopes.
    k98-lam-win-94-004.jpg
    I'd love this for a bit of fun

Just choose carefully.
    Try and do a bit more research.
    A swedish Mauser had a few problems when mounting a modern scope.
    Not that all rifles would.
    It's just you have to remember that they were not designed for scopes.
    k98-lam-win-94-004.jpg
    I'd love this for a bit of fun

Ya I'd rather stick to a rifle that I could put a scope from the same era on! Don't want ne ring modern on it!

What's that in the pic tack??

Ya I'd rather stick to a rifle that I could put a scope from the same era on! Don't want ne ring modern on it!

What's that in the pic tack??

That is a steel scope.
    Steel scopes from WW2 era were much better made than WW1 Era

Sorry Tack I meant whats the rifle aswel?! :D

Looks good that you can use the scope and open sights :cool:

Sorry Tack I meant whats the rifle aswel?! :D

Looks good that you can use the scope and open sights :cool:

Where is Homer from??
    1903a1usmc.jpg

• Advertisement

Hmmm decisions decisions! Think I'll have to visit a few shops and hopefully that will make up my mind!

Advertisement