Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE 2011 Where to begin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CapallBan

Results are up and surprise, surprise a big fail! Anyone know what the 'decile ranking' is?

Think its the lower you are the better your answer is even though you still may fail by not meeting the depth,breadth tests. Not 100% on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Yeah apparently thats it alright...1 and ur in the top 10% kinda thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

If you click on the download button you get a breakdown of your results.

I got 6 decile but still received reds in everything except IMS (which I didn't even know I answered) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 perfect_circle

Does anyone know how many decile rankings there are, just as a point of reference? Is it out of 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CapallBan

Does anyone know how many decile rankings there are, just as a point of reference? Is it out of 10?

Yeah its 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 carly_2011

Got a decile ranking of 1 but a sufficiency score of 5... :( results are completely opposite to what i expected got red where i thought i did ok and greens where i expected it to be awful :confused:

as for auditing elective... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

What's the story with the sufficiency number again? Is sufficiency of 0 good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Decile marking is on a 1-10 scale. The lower your score the higher your performance compared to others. If you got a 2 you'd be in the top 20% of students. The lower your score the better it is.

I got a 4 in Core yet still got reds in 4 indicators and only got yellow in two!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

What does sufficiency mean? Is it the lower the better or the higher the better?

Yeah I got 3 reds and 3 yellows :/

I thought I might have passed performance measurement but nope.... nope I didn't....

Tbh I did alright but it has still put the fear of god up me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 carly_2011

Hackysack wrote: »
    What does sufficiency mean? Is it the lower the better or the higher the better?

Lower the better. You need to get 0 as far as i know...

God core was dreadful so, wasn't expecting anything less as hadn't started any revision for it at that stage - decile 6 and sufficiency 9 (!!) On the upside, had done some elective work and got decile 1 and sufficiency 0...that's balanced it out for me in my head anyway...so back to the case studies now :(

Yeah fair play on the elective score there Jobr.

I got decile 2 sufficiency 1 which wasn't bad for three days of cramming the weekend before....

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

Ok
    Core - Fail ( Decile - 2 Sufficency - 7 )
    Elective - Pass ( Decile - 1 Sufficency - 0 )

Think overall that means alot more work required in core.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nom-IzZ

I got the following:

Audit elective Decile 1 and sufficency 0
    Core Decile 5 and sufficency 10

What do I need to do to get a better sufficency? is it write more? more detail?

I got all red bar one yellow, very surprised, what would get a pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 RidiculousHair

Just looking at those results there, so to clarify, to pass the core we need to get:

• Sufficency of zero
    • Green in PM and BL (depth) and
    • Yellow in Finance, Audit, Tax and IT (breath)??
    Fierce confusing this, what i wouldn't give for a good aul percentage...much easier for my brain to process!

Nidot wrote: »
    Ok
    Core - Fail ( Decile - 2 Sufficency - 7 )
    Elective - Pass ( Decile - 1 Sufficency - 0 )

Think overall that means alot more work required in core.

Those are good results! Surely that means so that even though you were in the top 20% in core & it still wasn't a pass maybe only people in the top decile did?Am I right in thinking that nobody in Ireland passed the core mocks last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fancyanosh

Just looking at those results there, so to clarify, to pass the core we need to get:

• Sufficency of zero
    • Green in PM and BL (depth) and
    • Yellow in Finance, Audit, Tax and IT (breath)??
    Fierce confusing this, what i wouldn't give for a good aul percentage...much easier for my brain to process!

You're partly right
    • Sufficiency of zero to pass
    • Yellow is enough to pass all super 6. Yellow means that you have just scraped either the Depth (PM and BL) or Breadth (other 4) tests.
    • However getting all yellows means that you are not likely to have got a high enough score to have passed the sufficiency test. So you probably need at least a couple of greens

Would I be right in saying anybody who got at least one green on either BL/PM would have got sufficiency of say five or six? and obviously a green in the other would give you a 2 or 3 with the remainder being made up by the other subjects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tt0717

I think for the sufficiency test - they will assign a numeric value to each of the N/A, NC, RC, C and HC and they will add these values up. They will then compare the aggregrated value to their "benchmark" to see how far you are from the benchmark.

So the more we get C the more comfortable we are for the sufficiency...but aparently the "benchmark" is not decided until after they mark all scripts....

goodness can they be more confusing!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 statikmusic

Despite the fact i was expecting a big FAIL it seems to me like they've marked the core very hard. I got a decile of 2 and suffiency of 8 with 2 yellows and 4 reds. Definitly thought i would have got a couple of more yellows especially when i saw the solutions. It's going to be interesting to see what feedback we get with the scripts - my guess is minimal. As far as i know only one person passed the core mock last year so chin's up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wdarling

I think i can clear some of this up as I recorded some of Paul Monahans interpretations of the results.

The lower the decile and sufficiency the better.

The decile is the % tenth you are in relation to all others sitting the FAEs.

The sufficiency is how close you were to the next decile either side. so say if you received decile 6, sufficiency 9 you we in the 69th percentile of those sitting the exams. Breath and depth are just to show you things in relation to individual subjects.

Any one else agree with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

If you got decile 1 and suffiecy 9 does that mean you are 19th best or 19th worst ? please tell me

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

wdarling wrote: »
    I think i can clear some of this up as I recorded some of Paul Monahans interpretations of the results.

The sufficiency is how close you were to the next decile either side. so say if you received decile 6, sufficiency 9 you we in the 69th percentile of those sitting the exams. Breath and depth are just to show you things in relation to individual subjects.

I just reviewed the Joanne Powell presentation there and here's my interpretation of it (I'm open to correction on this).

Decile - This is in what group of those who sat the exam were you based. For example if you were Decile 1 - then you were in the top 10% of all students who sat the exam, Decile 2 - then you were in the top 20% of all students who sat the exam, Decile 3 - top 30% and so on.

Sufficency - This is how competent you were across the entire exam, i.e. how well you actually did. For each reaching competent, competent, highly competent you receive, you get a mark based on the grading given to each indicator (Each indicator being given a different weighting and so different marks attached to it). At the end of the exam they total all your marks. The totalled marks are then compared to the benchmark to decide if you've reached competency overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 killeoinisback

So what about the person in a previous post who got decile 5 and sufficiency 10? 60th place...decile 5???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭ahtfulal

If you get 0 and 0 then that means you are special!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wdarling

Top 19%.... the colour codes contribute to your overall sufficiency AND decile....

So I got decile 2 sufficiency 7 in CORE.... I got 3 yellows 3 reds

Which means the the people who got a decile of 1 probably had at least 1 or 2 greens get it?

To pass you need a green in PM and BL and at least Yellow in all the others.
    The decile and sufficiency are mainly for the real thing when you know yuo've passed by the colour coding but you wana see how WELL you passed! Or future employers can see your grading in comparision to your class.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭ahtfulal

Would that not means that there ard only 99 people sitting exam this year?

mrduffy wrote: »
    If you got decile 1 and suffiecy 9 does that mean you are 19th best or 19th worst ? please tell me
    ahtfulal wrote: »
    Would that not means that there ard only 99 people sitting exam this year?

All I know for definite is that your decile score relates to how well you did compared to others.

Say there's 1,500 sitting FAE this year. That means the top 10% scores are put in decile 0 (i.e. the top 150 people), decile 1 would have the next top 150 scores and so on. The lower the decile rating the better you performed compared to your peers.

Genuinely don't know about the sufficiency rating. There seems to be two schools of thought as stated above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

I've lifted KPIs for 7 industries from here http://blog.maia-intelligence.com/

I've cut out all the descriptions so isn't the greatest.

Industries I've done it for are:

• Manufacturing
    • Healthcare
    • Retail
    • Hospitality
    • Construction
    • Airline
    • Car Industry - more related to manufacturing in my mind

Thank you for this, much appreciated.

Nice to get some feedback from the mocks, but remember those exams were done at the very start of study leave. I'm not saying disregard them, becuase there's a lot of very useful feedback, but I remember the CAP2 mocks last year were very different to the real thing, and the standard expected was much higher.

Sorry to be a killjoy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement