Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE 2011 Where to begin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Colts

Morning guys, pretty straight forward question, but does anyone know where I could find a list of KPIs for different sectors, I've looked in my notes and in the books but can't find anything relating to KPIs. Any guidance would be appreciated, it'd be nice to have a list to work off in the exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Got a question. I have somehow managed to lose my southern fisheries question.... Nobody happens to have it in soft copy do they?? If you do could you attach it up please???

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 the_big_dawg

Colts wrote: »
    Morning guys, pretty straight forward question, but does anyone know where I could find a list of KPIs for different sectors, I've looked in my notes and in the books but can't find anything relating to KPIs. Any guidance would be appreciated, it'd be nice to have a list to work off in the exam!

Top of page 25 in this thread has a link

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DC86

Would anyone have a copy of the 2010 Mocks, Core, Sims and Tax elective with solutions? Tax elective is UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

So how are people finding the standard so far?

I've gone through a good few cases at this stage and have started to notice the following:
    • The standard of the case studies can be a bit here and there, some solutions are completely unrealistic while others look like they could be written in the allocated time given a good degree of knowledge.
    • The standard which was required for the mocks seems of been on the very high side.
    • The standard in the perscribed solutions for mock papers and past papers is once again on the high side.
    All of this I have noticed while having reviewed the student annotated solutions to last years papers, it does appear that the pass standard was quite achievable.

My point of complaint today though is in relation to applicable information. In all the exam reports and feedback I've always received from the institute they repeat the mantra of not having set lists to answer requirements which have been taken from pre-prepared answers or books. Yet when reviewing their solutions, which have been given out, it appears they completely ignore the rule, having numerous lists of generic material with very little application to that particular case study.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 tinac_b

Does anyone know if the Institute updated the sample papers from last year yet?
    They were meant to be updated and available before the mocks but there is still no sign of them.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Dell2009

Just had a look at this question & solution. WTF?? Please don't say this is the standard expected. i know that it is slightly longer than what is to be expected but to me it appears like a different league altogether.

I see the institute have stolen this question from a Canadian UFE case. Can't help but wonder will they replicate any other material from the UFE's in the real exam given the institutes history of stealing questions from other institutes.

Here are some sample papers . You need to go into CAP 2 area on website to find them

And the rest

Many thanks for that Dell2009!!!

You wouldnt happen to have a solution for the 2010 Mock Advanced Tax Elective NI - or anyone else on here????

• Advertisement

And the Core Mock for 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

DC86 wrote: »
    And the Core Mock for 2010?

All the past papers with both jurisdictions.

http://www.charteredaccountants.ie/Students/Student-Services/Exams/Exam-Papers-Solutions-Reports/

Only the actual past papers are available there - Mocks and sample papers are not there.

Ah so they are. Sorry about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Hey guys,

Anyone know where I can get a copy of the 2009 ISA 700 that we shoudl be using for the audit elective? (i threw away the old version of the book as I didnt think i would need it!) I have found a few online but I'm not sure which is the correct one that I should be using. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 randomobserver

there was a copy of it in my resource pack, the last document in section 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

there was a copy of it in my resource pack, the last document in section 1!

Yeah i was just looking at that one and wondering if its the correct one. Sean Murray says in his lecture anything older than the 2008 version is incorrect and the one is the resource pack is the Dec 2004 version so I didnt think it was the correct one. Does anyone know if this one is the one we should be using?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭luco123

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Hey Luco,

just on the Right type case there.

Spoke to a friend of mine this morning bout it and my thoughts on it appear to be wrong.

If it's a finance lease then it is depreciated the same as the other assets under IAS 16 unless there is no reasonable certainty that the lessee will retain ownership at the end of the lease.

I was directed to IAS 17.27 and it makes sense. Sorry for telling ya wrong but at least someone corrected me before the exam

Thanks had a look at 17.27 and that clears it up thanks.

Advance Tax
    Core Comp

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ohcrap

Hey,

Anyone done Quancore and can help with the commercial considerations of outsourcing - VIP customers are very costly as is
    Answer has a calc for the >5000 stock line customers as using 2,219 hours to get a current cost of €605,182. Not getting this at all, if anyone can help.

Thanks!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Dell2009!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭julio arca

Hi guys,

Due to some extreme procrastination and a general lack of love for accountancy I find myself 3 weeks away from my FAE's feeling like I have barely started to study the course. I understand that this is the polar oppossite of the attitude that is required to complete these exams and do not seek sympathy. What i do seek fellow boardsies, is any advice you people may have on how best to spend the next 21 days so that I may somehow scrape through these exams and move one step closer to emigration. I have never been a strong studier (is that a word) in the past but understand I have some VERY long nights ahead of me.

Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭julio arca

Hi guys,

Due to some extreme procrastination and a general lack of love for accountancy I find myself 3 weeks away from my FAE's feeling like I have barely started to study the course. I understand that this is the polar oppossite of the attitude that is required to complete these exams and do not seek sympathy. What i do seek fellow boardsies, is any advice you people may have on how best to spend the next 21 days so that I may somehow scrape through these exams and move one step closer to emigration. I have never been a strong studier (is that a word) in the past but understand I have some VERY long nights ahead of me.

Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 House54

Hey Dell where can I get the Canadian UFE papers

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Temporary Dub

julio arca wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Many thanks in advance.

In the same boat myself Julio, I'm hoping the study of the case studies will suffice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FAEs

MW2011 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how they did the swap in the Core case??

They get a comparative advantage of .25%, does anyone know how they split this .20% to Active Health and .05% to Holton?

Then with regard to the swap itself where is the 6.05% that active health pay come from??

This is how I understood it....
    The comparative advantage: is the difference in the rates (ie: 1.25 - 0.75%) less the commission they have to pay the bank of 0.25%.

The split: told in Question Active wants an annual savings of 0.2%, therefore Active gets the 0.2% of the comparative advantage and Holton gets the remainder (ie 0.25 -0.2 = 0.05%)

The 6.05% that active pay is the fixed active pay of 6.3% less the bank charge 0.25%

House54 wrote: »
    Hey Dell where can I get the Canadian UFE papers

To be honest, a bit overkill...

Canadian papers have far more detail apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭ahtfulal

julio arca wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Many thanks in advance.

I like your style, probably best going through the case studies and Derry Cotters FR books.

I could be wrong but apparently ya don't even need a qualification to get a good job in Australia. Anyone any thoughts on this?

Emigration the only way forward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dchitz

Just wondering if someone can explain the diff between a reorganisation and a reconstruction in tax planning, as i am struggling to get a grasp on it from the book.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 naboh12

Hi guys just wondering does anyone know what the 8 simulations are for the audit elective excluding the exam papers? I can only find 2 so far Chemical Sisters and Kerrigan Medical Devices. At the last lecture we had we were told there were 8 in total? Also as our group has little to no notes as I am a repeat student if anyone who could post a reply with the simulations and solutions it would be great. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement