Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE 2011 Where to begin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Colts

ahtfulal wrote: »
    Anyone happen to have the 2011 FAE Core & Sims papers, can't seem to find them anywhere.

Much appreciated!

If I had them it'd make this studying lark an awful lot easier ;-).

I assume you mean the mocks, theyre definitely in the thread, I'm on my phone so can't attach them. If you go back to the thread index and click on the attachment symbol beside this thread it will give you a list of all the attachments, they should be in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

I've a quick question about the 2010 Elective Mock Sim 1 - Tangent and Interface (or something like that).

Just attempted it now and didn't have an iota of what the solution was on about. I have a very very vague recollection of Paul Monaghan saying that the standard of one of the Mock Sims was very high and above the standard of what we needed to know.

Did anyone else hear him say this or am I completely imagining it? Cause I thought I was reasonably prepared for the Elective before i saw that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭ahtfulal

Colts wrote: »
    Anyone happen to have the 2011 FAE Core & Sims papers, can't seem to find them anywhere.

Much appreciated!

If I had them it'd make this studying lark an awful lot easier ;-).

I assume you mean the mocks, theyre definitely in the thread, I'm on my phone so can't attach them. If you go back to the thread index and click on the attachment symbol beside this thread it will give you a list of all the attachments, they should be in there.

No I meant the papers for next week, I am hoping that someone might have them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'll take a copy of them too please.

Paul Monahan writes a great case, he is now my favourite author of all time! Next time I see him I'm getting some of his cases signed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Colts

Hanley wrote: »

I'll take a copy of them too please.

I'd probably still miss an indicator!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lisa39

Hey guys,

Anyone doing the APM elective?

I am trying to ensure I have all the required notes, but can't seem to open some of the notes on the ICAI website..... SHOCK HORROR!!

So does anyone have SESSION 3 PRESENTATION DRAFT 2 and SESSION 4 PRESENTATION DRAFT 2 dated 20.03.11?

Or ADVANCED PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT SESSION 2 PPT? Dated 17.04.11?

I know, I am clearly EXTREMLY organised on the elective side of things!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 netpia11

Just tried Sample Paper 2 Core is it a joke or just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

netpia11 wrote: »
    Just tried Sample Paper 2 Core is it a joke or just me?

Might be a joke indirectly...

Shoot me, seriously, shoot me I'm going mental

Best of luck 2moro everyone!

• Advertisement

I just had one of those "oh ****" moments. Don't do that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Vaioer

Anyone found any other piecemeal acquisition/disposal questions? I have done all the IFRS 3/IAS27/IAS28/IAS31 ones in Cotter

I just had one of those "oh ****" moments. Don't do that again.

Sorry that was wrong, just really peed off at dis stage with it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Hackysack wrote: »
    I've a quick question about the 2010 Elective Mock Sim 1 - Tangent and Interface (or something like that).

Just attempted it now and didn't have an iota of what the solution was on about. I have a very very vague recollection of Paul Monaghan saying that the standard of one of the Mock Sims was very high and above the standard of what we needed to know.

Did anyone else hear him say this or am I completely imagining it? Cause I thought I was reasonably prepared for the Elective before i saw that case.

Is that the distributions one? There is one paragraph in the Handbook p452 that Sean Murray highlighted that covers the whole thing on distributions and the answer is basically all we need to know on it

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ohgodd

SL10 wrote: »
    Is that the distributions one? There is one paragraph in the Handbook p452 that Sean Murray highlighted that covers the whole thing on distributions and the answer is basically all we need to know on it

Thanks SL10. In the handbook it has nothing about the plc extra rule? Is this anywhere or were we supposed to just know this from our general interest in this crap?!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 querty1234

Glad to see im not the only one going a bit crazy from all this study!!

Im a repeat student so having major reservations about my level of knowledge going into these exams! I did very long hours study last year and it didn't seem to work for me, so trying not to do that this year but still not sure i'm any more prepared!

The main thing I would say is, it really is all about how you react to the paper on the day! I know time is tight but it is def worth taking your time reading the question!

querty1234 wrote: »

Im a repeat student so having major reservations about my level of knowledge going into these exams! I did very long hours study last year and it didn't seem to work for me, so trying not to do that this year but still not sure i'm any more prepared!

The main thing I would say is, it really is all about how you react to the paper on the day! I know time is tight but it is def worth taking your time reading the question!

Same boat. I only failed core last year on tax, and didn't really do as much work as I should have. I've done considerably more this year and feel MUCH less prepared.

I'm in the middle of making a super checklist of EVERYTHING audit related from pre-engagement acceptance considerations right the way thru to reporting and after in the hopes that I'll at least have a checklist to refer to for the elective paper so I don't miss something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Same boat. I only failed core last year on tax, and didn't really do as much work as I should have. I've done considerably more this year and feel MUCH less prepared.

I'm in the middle of making a super checklist of EVERYTHING audit related from pre-engagement acceptance considerations right the way thru to reporting and after in the hopes that I'll at least have a checklist to refer to for the elective paper so I don't miss something stupid.

Fancy throwing it up when done? I'd offer you my tax relief summary that I've done up but it's already on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 flapps

Vaioer wrote: »
    Anyone found any other piecemeal acquisition/disposal questions? I have done all the IFRS 3/IAS27/IAS28/IAS31 ones in Cotter

Sorry, cant help u there..

Do u think it's a likely topic to appear?

Considering it was such a big part of Cap2 and it's time consuming, i haven't even looked at them.

Should i be worried?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 20 trixabello

ohgodd wrote: »
    Yeah,just looking at this too. It specifically says in one of the slides I have that "you cannot do this for a listed company". But the answer obviously shows that it's fine? Looking at ISA265 here and para 11 b) says that the auditor "shall include a description of the deficiencies and an explanation of their potential effect" and then para A28 says that "the auditor may also include...suggestion for remedial actions". Its annoying coz this is 99% coming up. Think im just gonna go with the two shalls and leave out the may also part to be safe!

If anyone else can point somewhere definitive on this it would be great!

The management letter is just advising the client of any issues that came up during the audit, generally around controls etc, and ways that they could be improved. This is sent out at the end of EVERY audit, and if you didn't come across any issues dring the audit, you state that on the letter, see also section A of the audit scaps (worksheets) given out by the institute. You're not giving any company specific recommendations about how business should be conducted. A management decision that can be seen as a threat would be like advice on which financial controller to hire, or teling them that they should make a certain investment. See ES5 para 26 for determining whether non-audit service gives rise to a management threat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Perennial Procrastinator

Does anyone have solutions to Ace of Hearts and Southside Health and Fitness Club?

Think they're two strategy cases.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ohgodd

trixabello wrote: »
    The management letter is just advising the client of any issues that came up during the audit, generally around controls etc, and ways that they could be improved. This is sent out at the end of EVERY audit, and if you didn't come across any issues dring the audit, you state that on the letter, see also section A of the audit scaps (worksheets) given out by the institute. You're not giving any company specific recommendations about how business should be conducted. A management decision that can be seen as a threat would be like advice on which financial controller to hire, or teling them that they should make a certain investment. See ES5 para 26 for determining whether non-audit service gives rise to a management threat.

Cool thanks for that Trixabello.

I know the old ISA700 has been asked for but does anyone have a soft copy of the old ISA720??

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Moorstown

Can you guide me to the tax summary? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 tinac_b

lisa39 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Anyone doing the APM elective?

I am trying to ensure I have all the required notes, but can't seem to open some of the notes on the ICAI website..... SHOCK HORROR!!

So does anyone have SESSION 3 PRESENTATION DRAFT 2 and SESSION 4 PRESENTATION DRAFT 2 dated 20.03.11?

Or ADVANCED PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT SESSION 2 PPT? Dated 17.04.11?

I know, I am clearly EXTREMLY organised on the elective side of things!!

Hi, I did my classes in Belfast so I'm not sure if they're the same notes or not.
    The notes I have for Session 2 were combined with session 1's. Hope these are of some help to you. (Had to put them in zip file to get them uploaded because they're powerpoint)

What is anyone looking at for APM?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 tinac_b

querty1234 wrote: »

Yeah its good to know that I'm not the only one losing the will to live. I just cant focus on it anymore its all a load of s***.

Its even more annoying that its all down to how you react on the day, you put in so much effort and one bad day could just make a mess of it all AHHH.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lisa39

tinac_b wrote: »
    Hi, I did my classes in Belfast so I'm not sure if they're the same notes or not.
    The notes I have for Session 2 were combined with session 1's. Hope these are of some help to you. (Had to put them in zip file to get them uploaded because they're powerpoint)

What is anyone looking at for APM?:confused:

Thank you!

They are the notes I had- thank god, it is a bit late for adding new material! I am going to do a few cases today and that is about it, have flicked through the book alright..... just hoping the cases won't be insanely hard..... but who knows!!

My only advice to anyone starting out would be to choose ACCA!

This is pure torture studying for these case studies where it's all down to how you perform on the day and not what you've learned.

Also the correcting of these exams is open to so much manipulation as there will be a range of different answers and approaches used.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pepp

anyone fancy a boycott!

pepp wrote: »
    anyone fancy a boycott!

I think you should ALL boycott. It'd lower the curve nicely for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

SL10 wrote: »

What handbook?

Edit... clearly going mad. just realised! d'oh!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement