Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE 2011 Where to begin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭ahtfulal

These exams should carry a serious health warning!

What's dis about 5.30? I take it they changed the elective times dis yr? Last yr it was in morning same as core 10-2.30

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Moorstown

That's right, they changed it this year, do you not remember the MOCKS? I wouldn't blame you if you didn't!!!

Moorstown wrote: »
    That's right, they changed it this year, do you not remember the MOCKS? I wouldn't blame you if you didn't!!!

Didn't bother with mocks I'm a core repeater. Pity they didn't change core to afternoon aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Moorstown

Yeah, I agree!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

For all those doing tax elective- Whats everyones thoughts on referencing the legislation? Referenced quite a bit in the past papers etc. but surely they can't be expecting us to go hunting for these in exam?

Thought I'd get the CCH red index book, which has been gathering dust from when I got them, but its a bloody nightmare.

Motivation at an all time low...
    :mad:

Totally demotivated here as well I think I'm getting worse as the days go on!

In terms of the elective, whoever corrected my mock underlined it any time I mentioned a section, I only wrote it down if it was glaringly obvious from the book but will do it again in the real thing as it seemed to help with getting greens. Wouldn't waste any time looking for them in the actual legislation though, only writing the obvious ones (626b, 400, 617 etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 the_big_dawg

Moorstown wrote: »
    By the way what is this CCH red index book?

Remember those red CCH books we got at the beginning of the year? The last book is the index, which lists everything to do with tax alphabetically and where the provision is located. Wouldn't bother looking at it- waste of time!

Flicking through those MABF case books makes for a depressing afternoon!

They should be banned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cluabu

Any one have the following cases and solutions or know where i can get them?

Kammeb
    Ballydeagan Credit union
    Sullivans

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lisa39

These exams have brought a whole new meaning to the phrase 'life is not fair' for me

Wish I did FAE tw years ago.... life is not fair
    Wish they asked us questions..... life is not fair
    Wish my fate wasn't in the hands of the ICAI..... life is not fair
    Wish there was some OBVIOUS structure to the marking system.... life is not fair

I could go on,

WISH I NEVER STARTED THESE BLOODY EXAMs.....

AH rant over :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 lisa39

Cluabu wrote: »

Kammeb
    Ballydeagan Credit union
    Sullivans

Cheers

Are they for core?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Vaioer

Vaioer wrote: »
    Anyone got Natureflame and Overcoatings? I noted them on someone elses index there, but I can't see them anywhere on my portal.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Kammeb
    Ballydeagan Credit union
    Sullivans

Cheers

Think the first two are from audit sample paper

Haven't heard of Sullivans

Anyone?

Haven't seen or heard of these cases!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Vaioer

They are from last year as far as I know.

I can see a thread from last year which mentions them, but there is no sign of them.

lisa39 wrote: »
    Are they for core?

Audit elective

Where does one get their hands on the audit elective sample paper.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

They are from last year as far as I know.

I can see a thread from last year which mentions them, but there is no sign of them.

They were assignments given out last year and submitted for correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 querty1234

Oh god... really after hitting the wall today!! Have got NOTHING done!! Everytime i look at something I seem to forget it 10minutes later... Looking over cases I did earlier in the summer and don't remember any of the indicators!

Getting bit stressed and panicky about level of knowledge... know there's not much point tho coz it really it about luck on the day...

Def agree with the statement "life isn't fair" :(

Audit elective

Where does one get their hands on the audit elective sample paper.

Thanks

Got them. Attached for anyone who doesn't have em

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Just attempted the Core Comp from last year's exam.

I stopped halfway through due to sheer boredom and the thoughts of actually continuing on with it. Hope i'll be able to muster up motivation in the main exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Ha we seem to be all in the same boat. Same happened to me with the 2010 mock comp today....Nasty enuf so it was.

Anyway....Just looked at the 2010 AAA paper and am basically going to ignore that first case cuz it's ridiculous but I have a question on it.

In the Tangent and Interpol case, they say we have to calculation how much dividends they can distribute....Does that not represent an independence issue for us??? I mean are we not being put in a management role by calculating this? I seem to remember another case with a similar problem earlier this summer but can't remember where....

Any thoughts and feed back would be appreciate...Cheers

Anyone doing the exam in Waterford and know where the exam centre is? Or if there is parking there? I cant find it on the WIT website or google maps!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Kammeb
    Ballydeagan Credit union
    Sullivans

Cheers

I THINK I have these on a memory stick at home somewhere.... I will check tonight and out them up if I do

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Ha we seem to be all in the same boat. Same happened to me with the 2010 mock comp today....Nasty enuf so it was.

Anyway....Just looked at the 2010 AAA paper and am basically going to ignore that first case cuz it's ridiculous but I have a question on it.

In the Tangent and Interpol case, they say we have to calculation how much dividends they can distribute....Does that not represent an independence issue for us??? I mean are we not being put in a management role by calculating this? I seem to remember another case with a similar problem earlier this summer but can't remember where....

I had trouble with the case but SL10 directed me to the relevant page. Check pgs 452 & 453 in the Student Technical Handbook.

It's a legal requirement that companies cannot make distributions outside of their actual profits (1st indicator in that case). When the auditors have issued a qualified report in the previous year, the company cannot make a distribution without 'clearance' from the auditor (regarding the company's ability to actually pay out a distribution) under the Company's Act (which is the second indicator in that case).

We're basically assessing what distribution level the company is able to make without breaching the Company's Act requirements. It's not a management role as we're not telling them what amount to distribute, we're calculating the max amount of profits that they can actually distribute. We're essentially telling the company what options they have but we're not pushing for one in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 trixabello

Its not a management decision, you're just advising them on the legal side of it so that the amount they distribute is not against company law. You just tell them what they can't go over but you don't tell them what they should distribute... Hope that helps, I have never seen exams with such power to depress people!

I THINK I have these on a memory stick at home somewhere.... I will check tonight and out them up if I do

Thanks Perkina3 I got two of them just missing Sullivans. I'm beginning to think it doesn't exist.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Student456

Where would I find the Tangent and Interpol case, would anyoneone have a soft copy? Thx! :)

Student456 wrote: »
    Where would I find the Tangent and Interpol case, would anyoneone have a soft copy? Thx! :)

Its the Mock 2010. Case is called 'Interplant' refers to companies within the case called Tangent and Interpol.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Student456

Its the Mock 2010. Case is called 'Interplant' refers to companies within the case called Tangent and Interpol.
    Is this on the notes page? Can't seem to find it! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Stey_9

Thanks Perkina3 I got two of them just missing Sullivans. I'm beginning to think it doesn't exist.

Cheers

Here you go. Have fun:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement