Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE 2011 Where to begin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Dell2009 wrote: »
    Thanks, do you know the date and subject of this email, i can't seem to find it?

2010 mock exam papers and solutions- the email is dated 28/04/2011. I've attached it here anyways

Sorry its actually too big to upload

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Dell2009

SL10 wrote: »
    Sorry its actually too big to upload

Have it , thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jamesgreenpark

i'm actually only on study leave from now as i work in a small practice; was lucky to get the 7 weeks after taking block release and mocks into consideration.

I sat the mocks but with very little preparation, so not expecting much. i am planning on doing them again under exam conditions prior to the review sessions and i feel i can still get some use out of the mocks, sadly not through the normal method though!

Being in a small practice, i didn't get much time to study for the AAFRP exam. I received a NC mark which i wasn't surprised with. i had a mini freak out after the results were published but have decided to use it as a positive and put extra effort into PM.

I'm starting to study by doing a quick skim of CAP 1 and 2 syllabi and notes and filling in a few gaps in my technical knowledge. I plan on taking Paul Monaghan's advice and breaking the study day into 3 sections...morning(when fresh) for technical knowledge, afternoon for case studies and evening for questions from the books and reading/supplementing study/going over lecture notes etc.

Any thoughts on this strategy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Blyn_87

Sounds like a good plan to me!! Mite try it myself! Anyone else do the tax elective today? What kinda hours r ppl putting in for study from now until exams ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 CapallBan

Yeah did the tax elective today, timing wasn't as bad as yesterday or maybe it was just me. The 2nd sim wasn't too bad, tricky to pick out the indicators in the first one. How did you find it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Blyn_87

CapallBan wrote: »
    Yeah did the tax elective today, timing wasn't as bad as yesterday or maybe it was just me. The 2nd sim wasn't too bad, tricky to pick out the indicators in the first one. How did you find it?

I thought timing was ok as well but possibly coz I didn't have much 2 write lol I thought the 3rd sim was tough ... Really not sure what the sol to that one would look like.... What u think? Ya the second one was defo
    The most straightforward!!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Clanno

i'm actually only on study leave from now as i work in a small practice; was lucky to get the 7 weeks after taking block release and mocks into consideration.

I sat the mocks but with very little preparation, so not expecting much. i am planning on doing them again under exam conditions prior to the review sessions and i feel i can still get some use out of the mocks, sadly not through the normal method though!

Being in a small practice, i didn't get much time to study for the AAFRP exam. I received a NC mark which i wasn't surprised with. i had a mini freak out after the results were published but have decided to use it as a positive and put extra effort into PM.

I'm starting to study by doing a quick skim of CAP 1 and 2 syllabi and notes and filling in a few gaps in my technical knowledge. I plan on taking Paul Monaghan's advice and breaking the study day into 3 sections...morning(when fresh) for technical knowledge, afternoon for case studies and evening for questions from the books and reading/supplementing study/going over lecture notes etc.

Any thoughts on this strategy?

I am in the same boat, have even less study leave. not too impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 runnerbelly

Guys don't start worrying about how much time you have left because it is just counter productive! I got off 1 week before the mocks and I spent that entire week worrying that we had gotten off so late compared to others - I have stopped that now and I realise that it is still doable! remember, its knowing a bit about everything not knowing everything in detail! Also we will probably just use our time more effectively as we will be focused.

Question - do we have any sample tax elective exam papers? or is it just the mock 2010, the actual 2010 and the current year mock that we have?

Thanks a mill

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lucky01

Hi everyone

Im repeating FAE from last year and dont seem to have very much on piecemeal acquistions and disposals, we didnt cover it as it was not on the syllabus! as it is now on the syllabus I really need to have a look at this. Does anyone have any material on this that was given out this year or where is best to find questions on this?

Thanks

• Advertisement

lucky01 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Im repeating FAE from last year and dont seem to have very much on piecemeal acquistions and disposals, we didnt cover it as it was not on the syllabus! as it is now on the syllabus I really need to have a look at this. Does anyone have any material on this that was given out this year or where is best to find questions on this?

Thanks

Is that DC Financial accounting your talking about?

yeah it is financial accounting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 teddy99

yeah it is financial accounting

could you be so kind to explain which accounting standards it applies to, as I understand it could be IAS 32/39 ? So I could dig out anything that I may have, we could like do an exchange for chocolate or sumthing..?

teddy99 wrote: »
    could you be so kind to explain which accounting standards it applies to, as I understand it could be IAS 32/39 ? So I could dig out anything that I may have, we could like do an exchange for chocolate or sumthing..?

i think it is do with IAS 28, IFRS 3 (but not 100% sure). It is to do with increasing and decreasing shareholdings. e.g. buying a shareholding equating to associate status then at a later date buying more of the company resulting in subsidiary status for the investment and vice versa for disposals. I think it is something along these lines, correct me if i am wrong as I am guessing this is what it is on! I only have 1 small question on this but again it was not covered last year in great detail as it was not on competency statement.

i think it is do with IAS 28, IFRS 3 (but not 100% sure). It is to do with increasing and decreasing shareholdings. e.g. buying a shareholding equating to associate status then at a later date buying more of the company resulting in subsidiary status for the investment and vice versa for disposals. I think it is something along these lines, correct me if i am wrong as I am guessing this is what it is on! I only have 1 small question on this but again it was not covered last year in great detail as it was not on competency statement.

There are notes on piecemeal acquisitions and disposals under the induction lectures. you can get them here

http://www.charteredaccountants.ie/Students/Student-Services/Courses/Awaiting-re-sit-results/Course-Notes-for-Resit-Students/

It is the session 5&6 ones for FR. Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

I think ur best bet is IFRS 3.... Ias 28 is to do with Accounting for associates which I suppose is kinda relevant but I think IFRS 3 is more relevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭ahtfulal

Was just looking at that New Line Plc case today, Lord they talk an awful lot of garbage in that solution. Sometimes you would feel embarrassed attempting some of these cases then having to look at the solution knowing that they're written to such a highly competent standard! It certainly puts you back in your place!

Perkina3 wrote: »
    I think ur best bet is IFRS 3.... Ias 28 is to do with Accounting for associates which I suppose is kinda relevant but I think IFRS 3 is more relevant

I will literally eat my shorts if any form of consolidation comes up! Highly unlikely I think especially after the continuous assessment!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 murphs53

all - sorry to be crashin your thread. Any thoughts on those old FAE papers?? I'm hearing the multi d is good for the business leadership. What about the old auditing, finance etc papers???

"The roles of chairman and chief executive officer should not be exercised by the same individual"

Rupert Murdoch obviously didn't read the UK Corporate Governance Code

• Advertisement

murphs53 wrote: »
    all - sorry to be crashin your thread. Any thoughts on those old FAE papers?? I'm hearing the multi d is good for the business leadership. What about the old auditing, finance etc papers???

Old Multi D papers are good revision for things like SWOT analysis, critical success factors, KPI's and financial analysis.

Old tax papers have a few tax compliance type questions if I remember correctly which might be helpful.

Auditing - wouldn't waste time looking at.

Financial Reporting - All these questions are in Derry Cotter Case study books.

MABF - Wouldn't touch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 MW2011

Does anyone have the Second String Case study?

I can only see the solution up on the website and not the question. Very Annoying!

Cheers for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 fifa87

does anyone know when the mock review lecture is on in galway and where thanks

Metro Water case & solution anyone?

am trying to piece together my cases studies at the moment, i appear to be missing some solutions, would anyone care to share - metro water,mid west oil, bolt industries, horizons group, ply4hire...

ahtfulal wrote: »
    Metro Water case & solution anyone?
    Clanno wrote: »
    am trying to piece together my cases studies at the moment, i appear to be missing some solutions, would anyone care to share - metro water,mid west oil, bolt industries, horizons group, ply4hire...

Metro Water solution attached. Cant seem to find any of the others at the mo but I know I have them somewhere so I'll post them up when I find them

Thanks SL10, would you be able to put up the Case for Metro Water aswell please? Cheers for the solution.

SL10 wrote: »
    Metro Water solution attached. Cant seem to find any of the others at the mo but I know I have them somewhere so I'll post them up when I find them

Tks! if you have any of the other ones I would very much appreciate if you so kindly pass them on if at all possible.

ahtfulal wrote: »
    Thanks SL10, would you be able to put up the Case for Metro Water aswell please? Cheers for the solution.

Metro Water case attached

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spoofer123

Would anyone be so kind as to post the FAE mock papers for this year.
    I was unable to get time off work for it so if anyone could stick them up it would be greatly appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement