Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Injuries from fighting

• 29-03-2011 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Seeing that most amateur/semi-pro mma fighters compete for the love of the sport and not as a means of making a living, in fact they receive little or no payment for fighting, (which could probably be another thread in itself), and most of these fighters have a fulltime job outside of mma, what happens if these fighters receive injuries while competing? I know there are disclaimers etc signed by the fighters before any fights, but in the event of a fighter getting injured, should either the club he trains out of or even the promoter be somewhat responsible or even partly responsible for any medical fees etc eg Physio, medications or even MRI scans on injured bodyparts?

We all know that training and fighting brings on injuries, but without going down the route of litigation:eek: what if a fighter sustains some kind of injury that prevents him from working?

Just a thought I had today and was wondering what others thoughts on it were?

BDB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

If you have any hobby or interest that is likely to leave you unable to work and you don't qualify for sick pay you should have a decent income continuance plan in place.

For any litigation you'd have to prove negligence - if you think a promoter/ref etc are negligent you should steer clear of that show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't see how its any different to any other sport in that regard.

If the sunday league footballer tears ligaments and can't go to work, its no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't see how its any different to any other sport in that regard.

If the sunday league footballer tears ligaments and can't go to work, its no different.

Exactly, small and minor injuries are part and parcel of most physical sports, you expect a strain here and a small tear there, most people have a niggling injury of some sort or the other, but in the event of a more serious injury, eg a footballer breaking his leg clashing in a tackle with another player, albeit soccer or GAA, he will probably not be going to work for a while anyway and while an "income continuance plan" or private insurance of some sort might not be in place, the club usually takes care of any medical bills and physiotherapy.The same in the case of a Jockey falling from a horse. In the case of fighters perhaps one could suffer a broken leg, dislocated shoulder, torn ligament etc. but are these fighters afforded the same level of protection or cover or is a clubs insurance merely only to cover someone falling and hurting themselves on the premises or in the case of an event is it only there to protect the club being sued by a member of the general public?
    Perhaps some of the more seasoned fighters, club owners or even event promoters on boards.ie could shed more light on the subject in regards to fighters and students insurance?

*(As i'm typing this i feel like it looks maybe that i'm digging a hole or trying to stir $hit but i hope its not the case as i don't intend it to be, and i know that maybe the insurance section of boards might be a better place to find a definitive answer but i am merely just looking for opinions of other lads (and lassies) involved in the mma scene).*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 batmanandrobin

If you have private health insurance you can claim back on some things like physio and stuff. it would be a good idea to talk to your private health insurer to see what you can claim back on. its not the same as having the promoter pay your bills but its better than nothing

Advertisement