Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathfarnham Exchange 4MB line limit.

• 29-03-2011 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering would there be anyone in the know about this?

I mailed my Broadband Provider (UTV) about upgrading to the 8MB line. They replied saying that the line won't take any speeds over 4MB!?

Does this mean that it'll need to be upgraded? If so, what would that entail (I'm guessing re-wiring).

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Post your line stats from your modem and we can tell you a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If your line is limited to 4Mbps, then that will not change. The limit is imposed by eircom based on what the particular line can handle. Often it is due to distance, though can also be due to the line quality. Nothing will ever be done about it, and eircom do not upgrade lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Spear wrote: »
    Post your line stats from your modem and we can tell you a lot more.

Um. I'm going to take a stab and guess that you mean a speedtest (I'm probably WAAAAAAAAAAAAY off the mark). But here it is. :(

1226839133.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

chin_grin wrote: »
    Um. I'm going to take a stab and guess that you mean a speedtest (I'm probably WAAAAAAAAAAAAY off the mark). But here it is. :(

You're way off the mark.

We need to see the attenuation and SNR margin levels. These will be available in the modem config menu.

Spear wrote: »
    You're way off the mark.

We need to see the attenuation and SNR margin levels. These will be available in the modem config menu.

EDIT (Deleted my old post when I actually found it!)

Line Attenuation
    Down:48.3 db Up:27.0 db

(SNR)Noise Margin
    Down:10.1 db Up:27.0 db

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

From those line stats anything over 4Mb would cause alot of problems and your connection could drop alot altough its not the worst line stats i've seen.

i still think that pushing your line over the 5Mb mark would cause alot of disconnects.I doubt that eircom will be able to set the line speed to over 4Mb.

48dB might get you 5Mbps, but no more. 10dB noise margin is a little low, and could result in instability, especially at higher speed. Your speedtest is very bad, at 1.3Mbps. Is it supposed to be 4Mbps right now?

jor el wrote: »
    48dB might get you 5Mbps, but no more. 10dB noise margin is a little low, and could result in instability, especially at higher speed. Your speedtest is very bad, at 1.3Mbps. Is it supposed to be 4Mbps right now?

I'm on a 3MB connection at the moment. I wasn't expecting the speedtest to hit that figure, but the result is WAY too low for my liking. Any ideas on why it is this low?

Thanks a mil for the help guys.

If the line is syncing at 3Mbps, then the slow down is most likely congestion. There's nothing you can do about that.

Is that speed test done with a wired connection to the modem, or wireless? Make sure to test it wired, as wireless will not give you a reliable result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Either way, that line's working at maximum speed pretty much and won't take more without occasional or possibly frequent disconnects. It's also quite a long line for somewhere that's in Dublin. If eircom were a half-competent company they would have had feck-all lines in major urban areas that were over 3km long. Sadly, they've only appeared to install more localised DSL equipment in the Dundrum area and some places along the Stillorgan bypass.

• Advertisement
Advertisement