Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England V Ghana (Setanta Ireland & ITV)

• 29-03-2011 7:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

153332.png
    International friendlies have been coming under increasing scrutiny for several years, but focus has not been upon the relevance of a fixture ahead of Tuesday night's meeting with Ghana at a sold-out Wembley.

Instead of concentrating on a match against tough opponents, 2010 World Cup quarter-finalists, which is likely to prove a stern examination after the comfortable 2012 European Championship qualifying win over Wales, England have a number of distractions.

Most have been self-inflicted by manager Fabio Capello, who is continuing to flail amid a shambles of a captaincy debate, a Jose Mourinho squabble and divulging the details of a private conversation with Andy Carroll regarding the striker's alcohol intake.

They are unnecessary sidetracks for England, when the match, which is also a fundraiser for a cash-strapped Football Association, should be an opportunity to experiment on selections, formations and tactics.

In the turmoil, England will be happy to prioritise 90 minutes of football after what seems a long three days since the well-organised defeat of Gary Speed's woeful Wales at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

Versatility

It will be a much-changed side in front of a 90,000 crowd in North West London and a number of fringe players will have the opportunity to prove their ability and versatility, as Capello plans for June's European Championship qualifier against Switzerland.

Newly-reinstated skipper John Terry, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney have all been released ahead of next week's UEFA Champions League commitments at club level.

In addition, Kyle Walker has returned to Aston Villa after being ruled out with a groin injury, while Aaron Lennon withdrew as a fitness precaution on Monday night and has been replaced by on-loan Sunderland striker Danny Welbeck.

Carroll is expected to start, meaning Welbeck looks like back-up to substitute Peter Crouch, with Jermain Defoe and Ashley Young expected to start either side of Liverpool's £35million striker in the spearhead of a 4-3-3 formation.

Despite not featuring against Wales, Gareth Barry will captain England after temporarily wearing the armband in the friendly with Denmark, and the Manchester City man could be partnered in central midfield by club-mate James Milner.

Impact
    It will be an important night for Barry following the emergence of Scott Parker, who has undergone a scan on a calf injury, while the advanced Jack Wilshere, for who Capello has also expressed concerns regarding his personal life, should also start.

Joe Hart is expected to continue in goal behind a defence of Everton pair Leighton Baines and Phil Jagielka, Bolton centre-back Gary Cahill and Liverpool full-back Glen Johnson.

Head coach Goran Stevanovic takes charge of Ghana for the third match and will aim to maintain his 100 per cent record, as his team bid to become the first African side to defeat England at Wembley.

Ranked 16th in the world by Fifa, 10 places below England, Ghana arrived in London following a weekend win over Congo and Stevanovic is concerned about the impact of jet-lag after flying via Kenya.

But the Serbian has no new injury concerns and will be quietly confident in the first senior-team meeting between England and Ghana.

Stevanovic is able to call on Premier League players such as Asamoah Gyan, Sulley Muntari, John Pantsil, captain John Mensah and Richard Kingson.

Possible starting XIs:
    England: Hart, Baines, Cahill, Jagielka, Johnson, Milner, Barry, Wilshere, Defoe, Young, Carroll.

Ghana: Kingson, Sarpei, Jonathan Mensah, John Mensah, Pantsil, Andre Ayew, Kwadko Asamoah, Muntari, Annan, Gyan, Tagoe.

Liking the look of the England line up, although I can't remember it to post! :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Oh yeah, I reckon Ghana will win also.

England: Hart, Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines, Milner, Barry, Wilshere, Downing, Carroll, Young.

Ghana: Kingson, Pantsil, Vorsah, John Mensah, Lee Addy, Adiyah, Annan, Agyemang-Badu, Kwadwo Asamoah, Muntari, Gyan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

This is on Setanta.

And ITV.

It's going to be quiet in here methinks.

I don't think I've seen so many fans for the away team at Wembley!! Nor have I ever heard the away fans out sing the home fans. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

i dont think ive ever heard an atmosphere ever at an england match

• Advertisement

Good keeping from Harte, prevents an embarrassing goal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Unlucky there from Young but should have finished it really. England piling on the pressure now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Andy Carroll is sloooooow.

England look better with this formation, some genuine width and pace between Young, Downing and Milner interchanging.

Jesus, Carroll is pathetically slow.

That should be a red for Baines, can't believe he didn't even get a yellow!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

That should be a red for Baines, can't believe he didn't even get a yellow!!

Yeah agree. All the annoying listening to Townsend dismissing the challenge.

1-0 Carroll.

Good goal.

Good link up play between the two Villa players to set up Carroll for his first goal. Great finish too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

How many times does it happen that the ball goes through the blocking defender's legs and in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nice finish from Carroll although on first viewing, it looks like he fouled the defender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Carroll has a bit of a hammer for a left foot. Needed a goal, has looked a little short of confidence since his return. Still needs to get fitter.

Downing has been very good so far. I'd take him ahead of Young.

Hopefully Wellbeck will come on, I actually thought he'd start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Quite a good game this. Don't have sky so can't watch the Ireland game. Ashley Young is looking good. Hopefully we do see him in a utd jersey next season. Hopefully there are not too many substitutions at half time. Should be more goals in this.

Hopefully Wellbeck will come on, I actually thought he'd start.

I wonder what kind of reception he will get off the Ghana fans if he does come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Highly entertaining gam,e some cracking chances both ends, dunno if 4-3-3 is the new way forward but it's making for much more enjoyable football.

• Advertisement

Rob113 wrote: »
    I wonder what kind of reception he will get off the Ghana fans if he does come on.
    Well in fairness I'd imagine most of the Ghana fans are English too. :)

Well in fairness I'd imagine most of the Ghana fans are English too. :)

Would they not much prefer to see him lining out for Ghana though. I don't think Capello will throw him on tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Would they not much prefer to see him lining out for Ghana though. I don't think Capello will throw him on tonight.

They prolly keeping hush over the Boateng fiasco :pac:

That was a vital block by Barry there.
    God the crowd are ridiculous. Biggest official away attendence for an English international home game.

Not pleasant.

Dodgy stuff Hart

What a ****ing goal.

1-1 Gyan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Lovely goal from Gyan

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Awesome goal from Gyan, superb.

• Advertisement

lol, it's as if Ghana just won the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭osullic

Amazing timing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Great goal!!

Nothing more than they deserved. Good game. Gyan is a great player.

Gyan was probably the busiest player of the game really deserved that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Gyan the man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus Ghana are getting a bit over excited about drawing with England in a friednly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The fans'/players' celebrations after the Ghanaian equaliser is what international football is all about. Money can't buy that. Fantastic scenes.

Superb finish from Gyan - when he got the ball, the obvious and probably correct thing was to play it wide to the player overlapping on the right in acres of space. Instead he did the difficult thing and did it well, which is the sign of a good player.

As good a friendly as you'll ever see. Great atmosphere. Nice to see Welbeck get his senior debut. For the few minutes he was on, Lescott was an absolute liability. Pure donkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Neil3030 wrote: »
    The fans'/players' celebrations after the Ghanaian equaliser is what international football is all about. Money can't buy that. Fantastic scenes.

If it was the other way round peopel would be taking the piss out of England big time. It's a friendly, and one int he middle of the season at that, but thats an arguement for another thread.

If it was the other way round peopel would be taking the piss out of England big time. It's a friendly, and one int he middle of the season at that, but thats an arguement for another thread.

If it was Ireland who equalised in the last minuted vs England, you'd have seen similarly joyous scenes. Lighten up FFS.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    If it was Ireland who equalised in the last minuted vs England, you'd have seen similarly joyous scenes. Lighten up FFS.

Especially if there was 20,000 of us there.

Were there 20,000 in the Aviva tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

You're right, but only because the English players to a large extent typify everything that's gone wrong with the modern game, to the extent that them celebrating anything other than the acquisition of a new Bentley would be highly irregular. You can see how passionate the Ghanaian fans and players are for their team, and they really enjoy every minute of it. This made for a great game of football and a wonderful atmosphere, which, as I've said, is what international football is all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Looks like Carroll REALLY enjoyed that goal

carroll12_4d924382a7066312446826.jpg

What the fúck is up with his leg :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Absolutely over the moon tonight.

A very good game, 4 Sunderland players representing their country, and a cracker of a goal from Gyan to grab a draw, which I felt was well deserved.

Football was the winner tonight. I'm not the biggest fan of international friendlies but the passion and pride shown by both the Ghanaian fans and players was a joy to see. They have waited many, many years to get to play England and it will feel like a win for them tonight.

There's going to be one hell of a party in Accra!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What the fúck is up with his leg :eek:

£35 Million man!

Weird, probably explains the power of it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Any highlights of the game knocking about, would like to see the Ghanian goal tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Ghana team/fans etc look like they really enjoy their international footy fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Dempsey wrote: »
    Any highlights of the game knocking about, would like to see the Ghanian goal tbh

goals @ www.101greatgoals.com

click internationals section

• Advertisement
Advertisement