Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas for long exposure

• 29-03-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi

I have a FETAC collection of work to hand in within the next two weeks, one of the required shots is a long exposure and i am stumped for ideas without investing in more gear. I have looked at using a nd32 filter to catch some wind turbines but for the one shot i need its a bit of a layout. To save buying a nd filter i have resorted to shooting at night. I know painting with light could be one, or a ferris wheel at a funfair but i am looking for something slightly off the obvious. Any ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Star Trails like these:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalcraftsman/114334808

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielvitha/5182173836/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yury-prokopenko/3700064895/

You could pick up a cheap remote id say no problem. No need for filters doing it this way either.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hi OP, check out daytime long exposures using welding glass (Google and had a thread on here but can't find it right now). Haven't had time to try yet, but got my welding glass in a DIY sort of shop, and it was less than a fiver to buy. You stick it on to camera with elastic bands, try and avoid light leaks from sides, and can take really long daytime exposures !
    Welding glass pics will be green though, so you need to do some PP to either desaturate, or change colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Hi, i actually tried 1 or 2 with the welding glass, and you are right massive exposure time is possible, however i found getting the colour balance back next to impossible. I would love a big stopper set but the good ones are sooooo expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Did you try a custom white balance on the camera for the welding glass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

As dazftw suggested, star trails would be a great idea. You can get a decent enough rotation with a 15-20 minute exposure (see my attempt) or you could go the other route: multiple 30 second exposures. For the latter technique there is a highly recommended (though I haven't tried it) software: http://www.startrails.de/

You could also do long exposures on roads and catch the front and rear headlights of cars.

And as you mentioned yourself, light painting. It can be great fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

You could try something like this, it's good fun:

Paint-Couch.jpg
    Paint-Couch2.jpg

With the welding glass just make sure to shoot in raw and then change your colour temp after when processing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

How'd you do that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

smokie2008 wrote: »
    How'd you do that??

Have a completely dark room or go outside at night. Grab a tourch and start drawing. Have your camera set to a long exposure 10-30+ seconds and change your aperture for more/less light.

Here's a few more:
    Blog #1
    Blog #2

paint_with_light_Charleville_castle_img0736.jpg

paint_with_light_Charleville_castle_img0864.jpg

paint_with_light_Charleville_castle_img0737.jpg

paint_with_light_Charleville_castle_img0901.jpg

Try lots of different lights and get mates to help you out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

smokie2008 wrote: »
    How'd you do that??

Have a look at the link I posted above, there are some really fantastic images and all straight out of the camera, with creative use of a variety of torches and lights on long exposures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

this was done during the day and it was quiet bright
    5E4D572019014C848EDA4D1C79233603-0000315669-0002234226-00640L-E38388A640C0413EBA2F9DB16AF8B51B.jpg

this was quiet dark on the day but turned out well
    10BDB5CAE645483790C00C762A332D7B-0000315669-0002105291-00640L-D349330ABEE94AFDAD1EE88F373725BB.jpg

fire is always a good one
    195F8A8DC76443A58E7B584433D32777-500.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why not a long exposure of you exposing yourself?
    just waggle your manhood so it blurs out.

"ghost" shots can be fun too, I love doing them with friends, I count out the seconds they have to stay still and then shout (depending on the amount of drink imbibed in the process) "GO GO GOOOO" :)
    The ol'fellas in this ancient pub were highly entertained when we did that one :
    5334448138_ab6f9c48f5_z.jpgIMGP8280 by mountainsandheather, on Flickr

Come to think of it, the goose puppet thrown in for the craic might have contributed. (this friend is an artist/puppet maker)

why not a long exposure of you exposing yourself?
    just waggle your manhood so it blurs out.

:eek: Good Lord above.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

I always liked the tail light trails and it only took 4secs... Not enough traffic in fairness .. Probably a load of stuff wrong with this photo but Im happy enough with it...
    5571227848_0109a1a637.jpg

Advertisement