Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real or Fake???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

So a guy ties a string to the leg of a chair, pulls the string off camera to make it look* like a poltergeist, and somehow this makes it to ITN?

what the ****

*Doesn't actually look like a poltergeist

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

*Doesn't actually look like a poltergeist

What does a poltergeist look like??
    Not a smart answer just curious! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

heres a staged video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEzYg0k6eL0

on the alleged poltergiest video, you hear someone exhaling at 12-14 secs and coughing at 37 secs

Really Fake : )

when you say 'Really Fake', how do you come to that conclusion? That fact that its extremely unlikely or have you spotted something that proves beyond all doubt that it is fake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

maccored wrote: »
    when you say 'Really Fake', how do you come to that conclusion? That fact that its extremely unlikely or have you spotted something that proves beyond all doubt that it is fake?

There are many things which could cause this. Fakery happens all the time and there is nothing to show that this isn't fake so it's a safe assumption that this is fake. To show one of these videos as genuine, you'd need to demonstrate that nothing was or could have been connected in any way to the moving object. This also includes making sure that a powerful magnet wasn't under the floorboards.

You need to rule out all the material possibilities before you even begin to consider anything paranormal. Also, even if you rule out everything normal and consider the paranormal options, thinking it's a poltergeist is still quite a leap of logic. It assumes that poltergeists exist.

and by watching a video like that one - where you cant even see the whole chair, how exactly do you 'rule out all the material possibilities'?

My question isnt based around any belief the video is real, as its more than likely faked (though we cant tell any more than 'probably' since we cant tell for definite).

Im interested though in how people can be dead certain its a fake when the video cant prove anything either way. The backstory probably provides more information than the video - the usual wishing to move from a council house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

The legs being out of shot are a dead giveaway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Pointless video, could easily be faked with little or no effort

Dave! wrote: »
    Pointless video, could easily be faked with little or no effort

so easily faked = definitely faked then?

I'd say the proper answer is 'We cant tell from that video" - but again .. it interests me how people can glean so much information from a video that contains so little.

• Advertisement

I'd say the proper answer is 'We cant tell from that video" - but again .. it interests me how people can glean so much information from a video that contains so little.
    Did I say definitely faked?

I'd say the proper answer is: if there's a poltergeist in that video, then its actions look an awful lot like someone pulling on a bit of fishing line.

What have you 'gleaned' from the video that I apparently am missing?

Shouldn't we assume a natural explanation unless we have evidence of something supernatural? If the paranormal is indistinguishable from the normal, then why assume the former?

There's nothing remotely interesting or even anomalous about that video. I could do it myself if I was arsed.

11 whole points before the birth of a pointless belligerent argument. We are getting better folks.

We can glean a lot from what the residents chose to record. Why leave out the part of the chair where most people would tie the string?

Riamfada wrote: »
    11 whole points before the birth of a pointless belligerent argument. We are getting better folks.

sorry but i totally disagree with that. we have to start questioning how people can be so expert at analysis that they can determine if an alleged haunting is true or not going by a video that tells nothing.

I'm only asking the question, yet it seems to ruffle feathers.

@ Dave - you didnt say 'definitely faked .. thats why I was asking. You seemed to be promoting the assumption it was faked though (which it almost certainly is mind you), which prompts me to wonder how people are so definite when given so little to actually work on. I would highly assume its faked, but to be honest, I cant tell from watching that video.

@ mcmoustache - I'd assume when people set up cameras around a house, they dont worry about the whole idea of fitting the whole chair in. Its common enough. If anyone experienced in 'investigating' such things were to set up a camera, you'd expect them to know better - but would the average punter think of that?

As I said before, you probably get more info from the familys story than the video.

maccored, we don't have any evidence that there's anything paranormal going on, 'fake' is the most likely conclusion. Somewhere off the distance is the possibility that there's a poltergeist moving shít around, but in the absense of evidence to that effect, why would anybody give that any consideration? True there's no smoking gun evidence that it's a fake (like if we saw a rope of some sort), we can only infer that it's the most likely explanation. Even if we could see the whole chair, they could just be using some fishing line, which would be pretty much invisible.

Don't you agree that we should look for a natural explanation before considering a supernatural one? And isn't the 'fake' hypothesis pretty solid? Considerably more solid than the 'poltergeist' hypothesis?

i completely agree - my point is the video does not supply enough information to make any kind of decision on, in the first place. Thats all.

this, on the other hand, is over completely real - its the latest thing in ghost hunting:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150138353472161

i completely agree - my point is the video does not supply enough information to make any kind of decision on, in the first place. Thats all.

Grand, as long as you're not then supposing that each scenario is equally possible, i.e. if we can't rule out either poltergeists or fakery, then it could just as easily be either.

well you cant really make any decision from that video though. the info just isnt there - either way. you cant see for sure its faked (though I would like to know who's making the human type noises in it as I mentioned in an earlier post), and for those who are determined to believe its a poltergiest, the chair moving is enough.

theres just not enough info to go on to make a proper educated guess. obviously one can easily (and more than likely reliably) claim it to be fake, but the point remains, you cant say anything for certain from that video.

I was jsut wondering how so many of you did seem to be able to say for certain it was fake. no-ones answered me on that yet.

How do you come to the following conclusions given that there's no evidence of fakery?
    (which it almost certainly is mind you)

I would highly assume its faked
    obviously one can easily (and more than likely reliably) claim it to be fake

I think its real and you two need to open your minds.

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    How do you come to the following conclusions given that there's no evidence of fakery?

logic and common sense tell me it may well be faked. i cant though, definitely say that going by the video alone. I think I have made that clear by using words such as 'highly assume'.

why have you asked me such a silly question?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Thanks for discussing this guys, I couldn't decide one way or the other myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I reckon it's a Real Fake.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Well I don't know who to believe :confused:

Come to think of it, someone used the last of my milk yesterday. I had assumed it was one of my housemates, but what actual evidence is there that it wasn't a ghost? Exactly, none. :eek:

Columbia wrote: »
    Well I don't know who to believe :confused:

Come to think of it, someone used the last of my milk yesterday. I had assumed it was one of my housemates, but what actual evidence is there that it wasn't a ghost? Exactly, none. :eek:

Ghosts!?!? Don't be silly.

It was most probably gnomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Riamfada wrote: »
    I think its real and you two need to open your minds.

Personally i don't believe in this rubbish but it's kinda interesting to see the chair move toward the wall. I mean if there was wires hooked to it wouldn't it be hard to move it in that direction, usually if something was pulled it would move toward the person pulling it but it's just a wall. Unless there's a hole in the wall with a wire going through it and someone the other side of it pulling it.

The other thing, if poltergeist exist why would they bother pulling chairs around the place? They must be really bored :D

i think poltergeists are the ghosts of furniture removal people

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Photoshop.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

I can't believe that video. And if we people will start believeing such things this easily than it will become like a profession to make people do things based on such acts.

If I can't negate it, I can at least say I can't even get sure about the story after watching the given video considering it's surroundings visibility to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I can't believe that video is even being debated. Obvious fake.

Advertisement