Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Lc

• 29-03-2011 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi All

Just looking for a wee bit of advice....
    As a student who is currently repeating, :( I hate going to the classes. I havnt learned anything new the past few weeks and I usually go to the library to study instead.
    The teachers are getting on my back about not attending classes, but I think i am getting more work done by not going and studying instead
    Today my english teacher said " Students who drop out to study, dont do as well as those who go to class"
    I'm not too sure if he's right or not, but sitting through an hour of geography with the teacher reading out of a book on a topic that I would have no trouble with is hardly beneficial to me

Should I go to class and then try to study at home after 9 hours in school or should i just study in the library on topics that i need to improve?

Cheers
    Stu

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Library all the way. It's your Leaving, your life. Teacher's ego has been squashed because you can do better without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I'm repeating as well. I completely get where you're coming from. Most days I'm sitting in Maths listening to the teacher harp on about doing homework, including options I didn't do last year and won't be doing this year. But hey, it comes with the territory.

You need to be brutally honest about your study. Are you really achieving a lot in that time frame? Can you keep that up until June? Maybe there's a compromise about doing it one day a week when you've some free classes, because if you're repeating maybe you're not doing Irish/Maths?

First time round in 6th Year there were some repeats who did this. They took time out to "study" while we were doing the Leaving. One of them did worse than the last time around. That's only one anecdote, I'm not saying it's evidence or anything! And I actually do agree with you. In Geography particularly I try to make my own notes as the teacher talks about a topic I'm fine with.

I think although some teachers can put students off they should always be used as much as possible. It's your decision but either way I'd say keep a good relationship with them. Try and come in for tests and hand up as much extra work as you can to prove that you're actually doing something at home. It'll all add up to your grade.. Good luck with it!!

I repeated a few years back. .
    And I found that going to classes didnt really help.

I needed to revise in my own time.
    So instead of attending all my classes, I studied instead.

It worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Every person learns in their own way, sounds like you're better learning alone in a quiet enviroment. If it works for you then I'd stick with studying in the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

It all depends on you. If you get more work done in the library then by all means that's the way to go.

I can see where the teacher is coming from though as a lot of people who don't go to school and stay at home saying they study actually do very little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

There are two very good reasons for continuing to attend classes.

1) The majority of young people aren't self-driven enough over the medium-term to study as much on their own as a teacher would drive them in class. You may well be in that other minority, but your teachers are speaking with statistics on their side.

2) The social support of being in a class group and having common experiences and goals cannot be underestimated. There is still over two months before the exams are over. The weeks ahead will be emotionally and mentally draining. Don't go it alone.

Advertisement