Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old lady driving us mad next door

Options
  • 29-03-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

i have a house rented to polish family for last 6 years ,last year the old lady next door got me fined from prtb about anti social behaviour they had a few partys confirmation,communion,birthday party that went on till 2- 3 in morning so i said ok ill pay fine.but since then this woman had made our lives miserable .she rings me at 12.05 at night to tell me she can hear them talking in sitting room,then when they go out to kitchen and talk she tell me there having a party and she cant go to sleep,ive went in on a few occasions when she said loud music coming from house and the music was no louder than a tv program,she calls me when they have visitors over to see if i gave them permission,she thinks since i got fined there not allowed to have visitors over after 8 ,is she going seinel or how do i stand.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd tell her to fúck off and then I'd change my number.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Yeah the PRTB aren't going to issue anti-social behaviour fines for having a few friends over for your child's confirmation, I think there's more to this story than you're telling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Polish taste in music is crap....no wonder she's complaining.
    Bum..bum....bum....bumpy......bum.....bum......bumpy

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭davymc31

Yeah the PRTB aren't going to issue anti-social behaviour fines for having a few friends over for your child's confirmation, I think there's more to this story than you're telling.

the guards came one night of the confirmation at 2.35 and told them to turn down music ,they gave old lady letter for prtb to say they witness anti social behaviour so that why i got fined

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

The thing is, once a neighbours starts annoying you, then you're constantly on edge for the noise. I've spent the last 6 months trying to convince myself, it's just their TV, it's not that loud, you're being unreasonable - I was on edge after numerous Saturdays of astonishingly loud (to the point of I have no idea how they were in same flat as it and believe me it is not hangover-friendly) African choir programs and being able to hear every single word of commentary on the World Cup/Premiership/Match of the Day had me.

And yet - those people are gone. New tenant, I don't hear a peep. Myabe I wasn't being unreasonable, they were operating at high volume all the time. The tenants may just be watching TV, but if it's full blast it's going to be annoying. Neighbour lady is on edge now and everything they do will aggravate her. You could invest in soundproofing but noise is noise and once you know it's there it's hard to ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

davymc31 wrote: »
    the guards came one night of the confirmation at 2.35 and told them to turn down music ,they gave old lady letter for prtb to say they witness anti social behaviour so that why i got fined

Music at 2.35 on any night is anti social!! Not everyone works a 9 to 5 Monday to Friday job and kicks back at the weekend. I'm a long long way off being old and if my neighbours had music blaring at 2.35 I'd be looking to get something done about it too.

As the previous poster said, a couple of incidents will make the neighbours extra sensitive to any noise, or gatherings. If this woman was used to quiet enjoyment of her home, even one late night party is quite a shock to the system.

Does your lease with your tenant include any clauses about anti-social behaviour? Noise audible from outside the house between midnight and 8am would be fairly common these days even in non managed developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

Doom wrote: »

As a Polish musician I dare to disagree with your statement, sir. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Doom wrote: »
    Keep it constructive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why would the LL pay this. The tenants should pay it or get evicted.

Well, this is kind of the point. It puts the onus on the landlord, who is the only person in a position to control a tenant who won't behave themselves- a few fines will soon catch your attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

athtrasna wrote: »
    Music at 2.35 on any night is anti social!! Not everyone works a 9 to 5 Monday to Friday job and kicks back at the weekend. I'm a long long way off being old and if my neighbours had music blaring at 2.35 I'd be looking to get something done about it too.

As the previous poster said, a couple of incidents will make the neighbours extra sensitive to any noise, or gatherings. If this woman was used to quiet enjoyment of her home, even one late night party is quite a shock to the system.

Does your lease with your tenant include any clauses about anti-social behaviour? Noise audible from outside the house between midnight and 8am would be fairly common these days even in non managed developments.

If they came in advance and asked would it still piss you off??

My neighbours have parties sometimes til 5am (I wouldn't mind but they're religious and don't drink or anything but they know how to P A R T Y !!!) but they've always dropped in a couple of days beforehand and let us know. I don't mind so much if they let us know but would be majorly pissed off if it was impromptu as I have two young children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Well, this is kind of the point. It puts the onus on the landlord, who is the only person in a position to control a tenant who won't behave themselves- a few fines will soon catch your attention.

Its dumb. The only control a landlord has is to give them notice, and go back to the PRTB and the courts, where they've just come from, to fine the Landlord.

Its a farce.

January wrote: »
    If they came in advance and asked would it still piss you off??

My neighbours have parties sometimes til 5am (I wouldn't mind but they're religious and don't drink or anything but they know how to P A R T Y !!!) but they've always dropped in a couple of days beforehand and let us know. I don't mind so much if they let us know but would be majorly pissed off if it was impromptu as I have two young children.

Yes it would to be honest. Why should I have to lose a night's sleep for anyone? But I also remember that if I'm having friends over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Yes it would to be honest. Why should I have to lose a night's sleep for anyone? But I also remember that if I'm having friends over.

Ah come on now, that's just ridiculous. So people can't have a bit of fun and party even if they give you advance notice so you could make some sort of arrangements to ensure you get some sleep? Buy some ear plugs, they work wonders ;)

SteoL wrote: »
    Ah come on now, that's just ridiculous. So people can't have a bit of fun and party even if they give you advance notice so you could make some sort of arrangements to ensure you get some sleep? Buy some ear plugs, they work wonders ;)

People not have fun and/or parties without disturbing other people...it's just all about respect. Music volume gets reduced at midnight and opened windows closed, makes a huge difference. Do onto others and all that ;)

How can you say that someone coming around saying "my house is going to be noisy til all hours tomorrow night" makes it acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

People not have fun and/or parties without disturbing other people...it's just all about respect. Music volume gets reduced at midnight and opened windows closed, makes a huge difference. Do onto others and all that ;)

How can you say that someone coming around saying "my house is going to be noisy til all hours tomorrow night" makes it acceptable?

I've had social gatherings in the past. Told my neighbours beforehand. No hassle. My neighbours have had social gatherings in the past. They told me beforehand. No hassle. As you say Do onto others...... You may decide to have a party of some sort yourself in the future where there may be excessive noise and I'm sure your neighbours would appreciate the warning and be ok with it. Providing it's not an ongoing thing or happening all the time I think it's something which should be tolerated. Earplugs are great for ensuring you get some sleep when it is noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

If you want to have a mad crazy party with all your mates with deafening music and shouted conversations till 4am then why not just rent a function room in a pub and go wild? Otherwise keep it down after midnight please, even if you ask your neighbours first they're not the only ones who can hear you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I actually think that in some ways telling your neighbours in advance makes it worse as people treat it as license to be a complete dick. Yes if you are planning a party you should notify your neighbours, or better yet invite them and actually form a sense of community. But you still have to be civilised about it. Turn the music right down from about midnight, especially the base. Go inside and close your windows and doors, if people have to go outside to smoke remind them to be considerate of your neighbours.

Just because you told them in advance doesn't mean that they are going to be ok with not sleeping until 6.30am. If you want to have a big loud party until late in the night either organise a function room, they are often free as long as there is a minimum spend at the bar, or buy/rent a house in the middle of it's own 3 acres so you have no neighbours to disturb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

iguana wrote: »

Just because you told them in advance doesn't mean that they are going to be ok with not sleeping until 6.30am. If you want to have a big loud party until late in the night either organise a function room, they are often free as long as there is a minimum spend at the bar, or buy/rent a house in the middle of it's own 3 acres so you have no neighbours to disturb.

I've been telling my upstairs neighbour this for about 6 years now... still he persists....

To Steo L it is ridiculous to suggest to a parent of young children to wear earplugs in the evening, anything could happen including fire etc if they were wearing earplugs the consequences could be something not worth considering.....

To op, I think as a person who has lived through this for years upstairs/next door/downstairs in the corridor, there is no smoke without fire, and quite honestly phoning the landlord is a practice I have taken up when any of the tenants start causing me problems with late night noise, it's only fair..... why should I be kept up and you get a nice nights sleep and your mortgage paid for you?

Advertisement