Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website from scratch

• 29-03-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Okay Im really new into setting up my own website, but heres my problem.

I have windows server 2008 and domain registered with Godaddys and I want to host my website all from one PC. Is this possible?

I have been tinkering with IIS7 and manage to setup a website but its not out on the Www :( I have been searching through alot of tutorials and am only getting more confused. From what I understand I need to tell Godaddys 2 Nameservers but will that require more hardware?

Kindest regards,
    Phobious

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

at home ...
    do you have a static IP address?what Terms and conditions your ISP has for the supplying the broadband !
    are you ready to keep that PC 24x7 online ?
    do you have k/ledge of Microsoft ASP,.net,IIS and DNS ?Also,firewall,forwarding?
    do you know how to protect a IIS against online attacks and security issues ?

a godaddy hosting is very cheap and the way to go in my opinion...

have fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Phobious

Im at home and I have a static IP.

Im with UPC but im not sure on the terms and conditions.

theres no need for it to be online 24/7 as this is really just a learning project.

Im knowledge is expanding for all of these things but definitely need some help with some parts.

And the server shouldn't be running long enough for anyone to get in that is if i get it running at all.

Id prefer to host myself so i could gain a better understanding.

I am looking at my router and it gives me 2 DNS addresses can I use these as the name servers?

Advertisement