Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 xc

Options
  • 29-03-2011 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Does any one know if or were can i buy 6 xc ammo in ireland? ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

John 5 wrote: »
    Does any one know if or were can i buy 6 xc ammo in ireland? ?

Any Norma dealer can get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 John 5

Thanks.do you know is there much choice in what can be got?

Thanks.do you know is there much choice in what can be got?

http://www.norma.cc/assets/promotion/6xc-a4-vertikal.eng.08.pdf

Only this at the mo, unless you try HPS

sound. cheers for that tac.

sound. cheers for that tac.

Very new round so very few offerings available.

I held a box of Norma in my hands so I know it can be got here.

Tomcat220 on boards shoots it.

A .243 tweaked to perform better.

Savage @ distance shooting.
    It is a serious 1000 yard calibre Over 3000 f/s+
    I Was very near rechambering my .223 in 6XC.

I'll get one built one of these days.
    I'm just waiting for them to offer a few more ammo types

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭customrifle

The norma factory ammo is good tac. The es is in the teens if i recall right. Was running it through my rifle few weeks ago and at 300yards in a gusting 10-15mph wind put 10-12 rounds into well under an inch. I was quite impressed with it in those conditions. The mv is at the 3000fps aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tikka Jim

"A .243 tweaked to perform better."

The 22-250 is its parent case. The .243 is a .308 tweaked for better performance:D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Moved to the main Shooting forum, it'll get more exposure and answers here as the thread isn't strictly Hunting :)

Tikka Jim wrote: »
    "A .243 tweaked to perform better."

The 22-250 is its parent case. The .243 is a .308 tweaked for better performance:D!

A 6XC is .243 6mm.
    A hybrid of .243 and .22-250

If you had a .243 and a 6XC in hand the only obvious difference is teh length of the bullet head.

I've a pic at home of 2 together.

I'll post later tonight when I get a chance

as promised
    153478.jpg

A very similar, yet very different

• Advertisement

Iv been told that they'll nearly run with 6.5x284's in the wind an give a much better barrel life?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Iv been told that they'll nearly run with 6.5x284's in the wind an give a much better barrel life?

Pretty close. Really strong winds, the heavier bullets will outrun them, but the extra barrel life and decreased recoil makes it a serious proposition above the 6.5-284 and the 7mm mags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

6xc has very little recoil and around 3-4 times the barrel life of the 6.5x284 .And as tac said ,very accurate @1000 yards.

Appreciated those factory rounds to try out tomcat was impressed with them. We must organise some long range stuff to see how they run further out:D

Appreciated those factory rounds to try out tomcat was impressed with them. We must organise some long range stuff to see how they run further out:D
    We will meet up again over the coming weeks and do some long range shooting .

wear would be a good place to get one built?

Fergal White in Athlone has built a couple of rifles for me, and they have both been tackdriver. Hes a sound fella too, has a refreshing no bullsh!#t approach towards his customers. If you want something and its not available or there is a bit of a wait on it he ll tell you straight out instead of the usual "oh it ll be here next week" that you get from some lads

wear would be a good place to get one built?
    My 6xc was built by Fergal White aswell .The build is based on a standard remmy short action ,bedded stock and krieger barrel.(Notthing Fancy!)Theres no secret as to how well his builds shoot and the hassle service he provides . My build was no exception ....i had it out some weeks ago and it was holding a solid .5 moa @900 yards .Having shot the 6xc for some time now ,the best way i can describe it,its very simple to shoot at those distances .The recoil is some where between a .223 and a .22- 250:eek:.I cant think of any other factory caliber that brings so much to the table for its size :cool:

A few of the guy's iv meet at the range have had 7mm's built by a fella called dave 0'hara. talk about flat line elevations at 1000 yard's. from what i here he wont sell a gun till it's shooting 1/4 moa? he advised me to go with the 6xc as im looking to do some target shooting an some hunting with the same rig while tryin to keep the cost down.

A few of the guy's iv meet at the range have had 7mm's built by a fella called dave 0'hara. talk about flat line elevations at 1000 yard's. from what i here he wont sell a gun till it's shooting 1/4 moa? he advised me to go with the 6xc as im looking to do some target shooting an some hunting with the same rig while tryin to keep the cost down.
    So that i have this right ....Hes guaranteeing 1/4 moa @ 1k :confused:.Is this what Dave said or what you heard ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 long range sniper

Chaps im only a new user here so if im not following the thread correctly keep me right. I am interested in the 6 xc and I am thinking of getting one does any body know where there is a second hand one .My budget is tight at the minute and I cant afford a custom job. Is it possible to get a rifle to shoot 2.5" AT 1000 mtrs?

he said at any range. but him an the guy's are shooting at 5'' target at 1000 yard's so there guns need to groupe 1/4 moa or under. conditons allowing ofcorse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 long range sniper

john
    Thats amazing accuracy i never thought that would be capable.
    whats the 6xc like at long range will it hold quarter minutes at 1000 mtrs also is it good for hunting?

he said at any range. but him an the guy's are shooting at 5'' target at 1000 yard's so there guns need to groupe 1/4 moa or under. conditons allowing ofcorse.
    5" @ 1000 yards is .5moa not .250 moa .Im not a target shooter ,just like my hunting and if i can shoot a 4.5" group at 900 yards (.5 moa)with a relatively cheap (hunting setup) id say thats more to be said about my the build rather that myself .

This guy might be able to give u better ansers than me. david@theballisticlab.com

This guy might be able to give u better ansers than me. david@theballisticlab.com
    No offence John or who ever ya are but i have the results for myself with my setup.I cant comment on target groups in the midlands or else where but there is a big competition coming up soon with the yanks (creedmoor cup).Ill call up and see your quarter inch groups then if ya like ?Is there any point of the yanks turning up for this ,at all?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A few of the guy's iv meet at the range have had 7mm's built by a fella called dave 0'hara.

Thats odd. I thought he has had all his rifles built by Fergal White.

he said at any range. but him an the guy's are shooting at 5'' target at 1000 yard's .............

Lads allow me to clarify something. You are not shooting at a 5" target at 1,000 yards. You are shooting at a 4 foot target at 1,000 yards. The scoring rings reduce inwards to a bulleye, but it is not the sole target.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I think your miss understanding me there tomcat? Did i say i could shoot 1/4 moa group's? No i didnt!. but there is fella's that can. an thats in elevation. wind drift is another matter.? as for the creedmore id love to enter it if i have a long range rifle in time? :D

I think your miss understanding me there tomcat? Did i say i could shoot 1/4 moa group's? No i didnt!. but there is fella's that can. an thats in elevation. wind drift is another matter.? as for the creedmore id love to enter it if i have a long range rifle in time? :D
    No misunderstanding at all ....best of luck with chat ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

.25 MOA groups at 1000yds? :eek:

Not f'in likely, IMvhO (That's roughly a 2.5in group at 1000 BTW)
    I haven't seen any rifle around these here parts shoot that size group at 1000yds. That would be a guaranteed clean with 75 + 15V's everyday with plenty of room to spare!
    Did i say i could shoot 1/4 moa group's? No i didnt!. but there is fella's that can.

Not sure that there are fella's that can - The smallest groups that I know of shot at 1000yds in competition in Ireland were AFAIK shot by a .308 and, whilst the group-sizes were excellent, they were no way near .25 MOA in size. And those groups were shot by a lad who's probably one of the best, if not the best, long-range target shooters we've got in the country shooting competitively at the moment.
    thats in elevation. wind drift is another matter.?

.25MOA vertical grouping at 1000yd, is an entirely different kettle of fish to your earlier statement that "from what i here he wont sell a gun till it's shooting 1/4 moa".

Are you quite sure about that statement, coz I don't think even Dave (whilst he's a bloody good shooter) would consistently hold 1/4MOA at 1000yds and I'd be very surprised to hear him say that he could. I may be wrong.

I too thought Dave's rifles were all built by Fergal White.:confused:
    Ill call up and see your quarter inch groups then if ya like ?

I don't think anyone who's actually in the running to shoot in that competition is "bragging" about achieving 1/4MOA groups at 1000yds TBH.
    Is there any point of the yanks turning up for this ,at all?

Only time will tell!;);):D

Advertisement