Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 xc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Would I be right in saying that a .308, .243, .22-250 or a 7mm-08 action could be rebarrelled to a 6xc without any extra work having to be done to the bolt or action??

Might be a useful point for anyone thinking of building one, they could pick up a handy donor action in one of those actions!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭customrifle

Thats right patsat. Mine was a 308 before it was converted:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

patsat wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that a .308, .243, .22-250 or a 7mm-08 action could be rebarrelled to a 6xc without any extra work having to be done to the bolt or action??

Might be a useful point for anyone thinking of building one, they could pick up a handy donor action in one of those actions!

If I were you Pat that is the route I would take with your .22-250.

Very similar round yet more long range capabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 v7wsm

Hi Guys
    Its Dave O'Hara here. Ive had quite a few texts today telling me my name was getting about today. Id just like to clear a few things up.
    It is possible to get a rifle to group .25 moa or less. This will depend on many things though, caliber, barrel condition, weather, barometric pressure and of course the shooter himself. Its not possible to guarantee any group at any distance as we dont have control over all the variables listed above. But yes my rifle will group .25 moa at 1000 yards and has done its even shot .2098 moa at 1000 yards.
    The current Irish bench rest records are held by myself in open at 4.1" and Adrian Casey in F.T.R 4.6" both at 1000 yards. Bear in mind the current world B.R group at 1000 yards is 1.4 " and the B.R shooters are waiting on officials to authenticate a 1.152" 1000 group. I have previously had Fergal re barrel rifles for me but I am now shooting my own rifles. I hope this clears things up guys. As for the 6 xc its a great caliber for long range target work and suitable for hunting also. Thanks Guys
    Regards
    Dave

If I were you Pat that is the route I would take with your .22-250.

Very similar round yet more long range capabilities.

Plenty of life left in that barrel yet tack!

When it comes to getting a rebarrel then it depends on whether I want to compete in Ftr but I have a lot of trigger time before that will be assessed! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Thanks for the clarification, v7wsm.:cool:
    Sorry for thinking it was AC who held the record. My bad.:o

Plenty of life left in that barrel yet tack!

When it comes to getting a rebarrel then it depends on whether I want to compete in Ftr but I have a lot of trigger time before that will be assessed! ;)

You could always go .308 either if you wanted a more affordable round.

A fello Munster man got 4.6"'s with his@ 1000 yards.
    That to me is where I am aiming.

Don't know if I'll ever get there as I have no patience, in fact I think I have ADHD :D:D

Hi Dcorbus
    No trouble dude Adrian does hold the record for the F.T.R and there is very little between his group and mine:)

Hi Tackleberry
    Dont give up dude keep shooting for those groups!!
    Im not sure if I read the thread properly earlier but Patsat if you are thinking of changing to a 6 xc you will have to shoot open as F.T.R is restricted to .223 or .308 . If I have picked you wrong apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 long range sniper

v7wsm
    thanking you for the reply i dint think it was capable of getting 2.5 minutes at 1000 mtrs. can i pm you for some details on the 6xc what weight of heads do you recommend. and what barrels also.

• Advertisement

v7wsm wrote: »
    Im not sure if I read the thread properly earlier but Patsat if you are thinking of changing to a 6 xc you will have to shoot open as F.T.R is restricted to .223 or .308 . If I have picked you wrong apologies.

You picked me up wrong! :p

I'm heading towards .308 but if i'm not interested in Ftr by the time i'm going for a barrel I may get a 6xc or something else!

No better way to beat the best than buy their tools off them! :p

Hi Long range
    Yes it is possible Im just checking here your talking about .25 M.O.A at 1000 yards not 2.5 M.O.A. If you are dude then read my reply above its possible but not guaranteed. The best head option for you is a 105 thats the heaviest bullet you can buy in the Norma range as for barrels I dont want to endorse anyones products (or dis anyones) but the usual ones are all good...Krieger,Bartlein,Broughton,etc etc
    Regards
    V7wsm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 long range sniper

thanking you v7wsm

Hi Patsat
    Sorry dude . Give F.T.R a good look or even better F Open:D
    The captain and Vice captain of the F.T.R squad do a great job and the guys in the team are all great. Call up to one of their training sessions to watch you will be impressed!

Joining Midlands in the summer all going well and we will see where I go from there!

Just out of curiousity how does Adrians Ftr Irish record weigh up against the world record?

Hi Tackleberry
    Dont give up dude keep shooting for those groups!!

I'm always chasing the ultimate long range Varmint round.

I have a couple of Fields with bunnies out to almost 1000 yards.
    I'd be more than happy if I could pop them out to 600+ at the mo.

457 is my longest to date, but I have not repeated it.
    I may get Technical, get a chrono, and work out a proper drop chart.

And ring up God and get him to cancel the wind on the days I am shooting :D

Hi Patsat
    Thats great news its one of the best ranges in the world and has 1200 yards :D:D:D
    There is a great offer on at the minute where you get 15 months for the price of 12!
    In Benchrest heavy gun unlimited which is shot at 1000 yards there is no open and restricted category its unlimited weight and open to any caliber. So they dont really compare having said that Adrian is world class and his gun shoots great. We will be running a Benchrest championship shoot at the annual champs in May at M.N.S.C.I then when we get the Creedmoor over we will have a dedicated Benchrest league which will be very popular. The current world record (5 shot group) is 1.4" at 1000 yards :cool:Hopefully see you at the range dude.
    Regards
    V7wsm

Hi Patsat
    Thats great news its one of the best ranges in the world and has 1200 yards :D:D:D
    There is a great offer on at the minute where you get 15 months for the price of 12!
    In Benchrest heavy gun unlimited which is shot at 1000 yards there is no open and restricted category its unlimited weight and open to any caliber. So they dont really compare having said that Adrian is world class and his gun shoots great. We will be running a Benchrest championship shoot at the annual champs in May at M.N.S.C.I then when we get the Creedmoor over we will have a dedicated Benchrest league which will be very popular. The current world record (5 shot group) is 1.4" at 1000 yards :cool:Hopefully see you at the range dude.
    Regards
    V7wsm

Sorry for not making my question clear... What I meant was what is the world FTR record?? In comparsion to the irish record??

Hi Patsat
    As far as I know there is no group FTR record only score. No one uses a .308 for heavy bench as it would be massively out gunned by other calibres.
    The score record which I witnessed was in Blair Athol in Scotland on a very unusal day where there was zero wind it was like a vacum and a guy called Stuart Anselm shot a 75 with 10 But again you need the conditions.
    Regards
    V7wsm

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tikka Jim

as promised
    153478.jpg

A very similar, yet very different

Here is a pic of a 22-250 V .243 for comparison
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/kKIzR_RECLgwAQIDcVHomg?feat=directlink

• Advertisement

Tikka Jim wrote: »

Cartridge Origin [by David Tubb]

The "original" 6mmX (20-degree shoulder) resulted from chambering a barrel using a .243 Winchester reamer held (stopped) 0.132 inches short of its intended depth. This was done to allow use of a .22-.250 case. The 6mmX sizing die was made by shortening a .243 Winchester die (seating die also) 0.145 inches (additional length was based on varying shellholder heights; this ensured the case could be run fully into the die and attain adequate case shoulder contact). We then took a .22-.250 case and ran it fully into this sizing die and then loaded the rounds and fire-formed the case in the 6mmX chamber. The .22-.250 case neck could initially be expanded using the sizing die provided a tapered (.17 cal. to 6mm [.243 cal.]) Redding expander was installed or that the expander had been modified with a taper.

Guys
    Just as Tack has touched on this there are different 6xc's the difference is in the shoulder angle and they will affect the velocities a lot.
    Regards
    V7wsm

Guys
    Just as Tack has touched on this there are different 6xc's the difference is in the shoulder angle and they will affect the velocities a lot.
    Regards
    V7wsm

I always said the angle of the dangle had massive effects on my shooting.
    So too has the shoulder angle.

http://www.davidtubb.com/6mmxc.html

That Dave Tubbs and Tiles knows his she-it ;)

I like his Rifle too

Hi Tack
    Im laughing here there we were getting all serious goodwork:D
    Yeah Tubb is 1st class look for some of his articles with Henry Childs them boyo's know their she..it:D:D
    Regards
    V7wsm

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shanmoll308

Hey Dave, but I shot a 4 1/8" 5 shot group at the 1000 yards bench rest competition so does that mean.....:eek::eek:.I hold the Irish 1000 yard bench rest record :D:D

"UP THE F/TR" ;)

Shanmoll308.

Hey Dave, but I shot a 4 1/8" 5 shot group at the 1000 yards bench rest competition so does that mean.....:eek::eek:.I hold the Irish 1000 yard bench rest record :D:D

"UP THE F/TR" ;)

Shanmoll308.

I've set myself a personal goal of beating you in a shooting competition with the scope you reluctantly sold to me! whether it be by ability or just pure fluke all I want is a win! :p

I've set myself a personal goal of beating you in a shooting competition with the scope you reluctantly sold to me! whether it be by ability or just pure fluke all I want is a win! :p

Take a fair man to beat shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamoooooooooooooooooolllllll

That man is dedicated

Pa you would have to get 3-4k rounds down range to match his exp.

And you need to get a silly hat to be like him :D:D:D

Hey Bud
    can you clarify if you were wearing that hat at the time ? if you were old stock it dont count Ive been told you have a wind speed meter built into that hat :D
    Let's do it again in May bud just so you know Ive shot a .284" group at 1000 in practice............it was only one round though :)
    Regards
    Dave

Sorry bud forgot to say all you boys are great stock car drivers in F.T.R
    But us Formula 1 drivers are she...it hot:D:D:D

Open rules!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shanmoll308

No No no Dave, your all mixed up my friend,.. .284" thats the calibre you are using:rolleyes:...:D:D

See you at the range bud.

Shanmoll308.

Advertisement