Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gifts for Pre-school staff

Options
  • 29-03-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

My four year old attends a pre-school run by two wonderful ladies. They really are very passionate about their work and they do a fabulous job. I always give both of them a gift at Christmas and at year end. I normally spent €50 on each gift. Does anyone have views on gifts for pre-school/school teachers? what is an appropriate amount to spend and what types of gifts are most suitable? Many thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I always give both of them a gift at Christmas and at year end. I normally spent €50 on each gift.

WHAT???? Sorry, I'm going to come across as very cold hearted here, but, really, €50 per teacher per half-annual gift? Really?? €200/year to women who are doing a lovely job, no doubt, but they are doing their job.

Personally, if I was in those women's shoes, I'd feel really uncomfortable with getting gifts valued at €50 (that's more than my husband & I spend on each other for xmas & birthdays combined!). Of course, everyone's different, and maybe €50 gifts are perfectly expected where you are, but if I were those women I'd appreciate a home-made card (that the child helped with) and maybe some kind words much more.

I know I'm cheap, but I think it's things like this that really blow gift-giving really out of proportion. Imagine, then, the families who can't afford giving €50 gifts to each teacher twice a year...doesn't it make their home-made gifts much more homely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Give whatever you are comfortable with and of course the ladies too, but never feel under pressure to give more than you want or can afford, its your choice really. But just to advise you for when your little one starts national school 50euro would probably be seen as inappropriate there was a bit in the news last year about a child giving a teacher a 200e gift voucher, it didnt go down well. Also I suppose you wouldnt want to come across as trying to curry favour with teachers:p.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Thanks for your comments. To be honest my husband and I came up with that amount because that is what we would pay a babysitter for a night out, not that we get out much :D. This is our first child in pre-school so we had absolutely no idea what was an acceptable amount. The pre-school staff are really dedicated so it didn't seem like a lot but I take the points you make and I genuinely appreciate the advice ye have offered. I can assure you I'm definitely not trying to curry favour but I'm very grateful that they go the extra mile every day for all the children.

As for the homemade gift, my child does make cards and crafts also :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Generally things that cost between €5-€10 are considered appropriate. A good friend of mine is a retired primary school teacher and he used to say how embarrassing it was to receive something that was a bit excessive, plus he had to be very careful to enthuse equally over something that a child had picked out in a pound shop and something that a mother had bought in an upmarket shop. Generally in primary schools you give the teacher a present at Christmas and not at the end of year.

As I got to know the teachers I went from giving them candles and smellies to a bottle of wine. Anyone that puts up with my kids for an entire year deserves a drink. :D

If you go on to have more children, the gift bill can become a huge burden if you let it. Their teachers, school bus drivers, ballet teachers, soccer coaches etc. A nightmare of who you should gift and who you shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I am pre school staff and every year, without fail, I am genuinely shocked at the generosity and thoughtfulness of parents. €50, in my opinion is waaaaayy too much to spend.

A thought and a gesture is more than enough. I got a had made card from 2 siblings, they drew me a picture inside and it's something I'll keep forever:)

We usually get wine, chocs, candles. One woman got me my favourite yankee candle:D I got a funky hat one year, suited my personality down to the ground, I was really touched by that.

Oh, at Christmas last year, one child gave me a Christmas tree decoration:D It's gorgeous, not overly expensive, yet it's something special.

My own son is now in primary school. He has an SNA and a resource teacher along with his regular teacher. I'd spend about €50 on each throughout the year. I know this is still excessive but they're so good to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I got my sons teacher 25eur voucher for beauty salon to get nails done. Its a token I dont put the price on it just thats its a nail voucher and they dont have to use it on that they can use it on anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Lucyfur wrote: »
    My own son is now in primary school. He has an SNA and a resource teacher along with his regular teacher. I'd spend about €50 on each throughout the year. I know this is still excessive but they're so good to him.
    When my child first started Pre-school they had a severe separation anxiety and the ladies were just brilliant! I feel so grateful to them because some of my friends have not been as lucky with creches/childminders etc. I suppose part of it is also down to the fact I grew up in a home where xmas boxes were given to almost everyone - postman, milk man, refuse collectors etc. and old habits die hard.

Thanks very much everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Advertisement